XT250 vs KLX250s

25 replies to this topic
  • TRX460EX

Posted January 23, 2009 - 07:38 PM

alright, my cousin is looking at getting a dual sport, hes getting ready to retire and is just looking for something to cruise around and and hit up some light trails. I was showing him some bikes I like, if it was me ID be getting something like a 250/450 four stroke like the crfx or the wr, etc and add whats needed to get it on the street, but he doesnt want to go through that trouble, plus those bikes are pricey.

he ended up looking around himself and picking out the xt250, probably because of the low seat height, as he isnt very tall. but I found the klx250s for only 309 bucks more and theres more travel, water cooled, an extra gear, etc for that 300 bucks. but the seat is about 3" higher. hed be fine with kouba links or anything like that to lower it a bit, but the xt has the low seat height while keeping the same stock clearance as the klx. so I told him in my oppinion if he can sit on the klx comfortably and doesnt mind running premium, get the klx, otherwise get the xt. but an air cooled 9.5:1/ 5 spd just sounds like a lot lower performing bike than a liquid cooled 11:1/ 6 spd.

so anyone ridden both or know someone who has? whats the better bike? im guessing the kawi but is there anything thats not up to par with the yamaha?

thanks

• niven

Posted January 24, 2009 - 06:09 AM

The xt is far more street orientated than the klx, if he's considering any type of trail riding I'd definately go klx. like you say you can fit lowering links and raise the fork legs in the triple clamps. Lower the rear only as little as you have to, Kouba even says on their site that their maximum lowering links for the klx are not really recommended unless all you wan't to do is putt down to the local 7/11.

• reconranger

Posted January 24, 2009 - 07:05 AM

so I told him in my oppinion if he can sit on the klx comfortably and doesnt mind running premium

Well....my owner's manual specs 87 octane!

These two aren't even in the same class. He will get a whole lot more bike for a few extra dollars with the KLX, if his legs are long enough!

• cpr1

Posted January 24, 2009 - 08:08 AM

KLX all the way! It has way more potential than the XT.:banana:

• Yokomo

Posted January 24, 2009 - 09:45 AM

ugly vs purty.
I put 91 in all my bikes.

• TRX460EX

Posted January 24, 2009 - 08:13 PM

These two aren't even in the same class. He will get a whole lot more bike for a few extra dollars with the KLX, if his legs are long enough!

I just figured with 11:1 youd have to run premium, but I guess they got sport bikes running 13+ cr running 91 so I guess they could get 11:1 to run safely off of 89.

Im gonna send him this link to read what you guys have to say, not sure if hell make an account and chime in or not, but well see.

also, Im guessing the xt is the basic rocker setup where adjusting the valves is basically a jamb nut you gotta loosen and then get the feeler out, is the klx the shim/bucket style. I dont really think its a big deal either way, because it doesnt take THAT much longer. just curious.

is the wr250x the only one that runs the high performance 4 stroke in a dual sport?

• Tremor38

Posted January 25, 2009 - 12:04 AM

is the wr250x the only one that runs the high performance 4 stroke in a dual sport?

KTM and Huskqvarna both make dual sport 250's but they are way toward the dirt side of things. Kinda like a barely street worthy racer. They are very maintenance intensive comared to the KLX/WR/XT though.

• TRX460EX

Posted January 25, 2009 - 08:12 AM

on ktms site I could only see the 690. and im sure the ktm 250 would be even more than the wr, which is more than the xt or klx. I was more wondering about that for myself.

• OrangeTJ

Posted January 25, 2009 - 12:22 PM

KTM doesn't have a 250 dual sport in USA as far as I know. You'd be looking at EXC450/530 or the 690. Husqvarna makes 250, 310, 450, 510 and 610 dual sports.

• weantright

Posted January 27, 2009 - 09:17 AM

I have ridden an older XT225 and have a klx250s in the garage. The XT is slow, heavy feel and no suspension at all for off-road. Now the KLX is lighter feeling, faster than the XT but not at all fast and great 50/50 DS suspension that is usable for off-road. I would get the KLX before the XT any day, more money but more bike. I would get the CRF230l before the XT, of the three KLX is better.

"KTM and Huskqvarna both make dual sport 250's but they are way toward the dirt side of things. Kinda like a barely street worthy racer. They are very maintenance intensive comared to the KLX/WR/XT though."

KTM and Huskqvarna's make 2-3x the hp and rev up to 12,400rpm than KLX or XT's. Maintenance is more but no where near the jap bikes. Huskqvarna are known for 2-3x longer running before valve adjustments, many cases adjustments are done when japs are getting a top end. Both brands are modern 4-stroke motors and are basicly race bikes with turn signals and DOT tires.

• klxd

Posted January 27, 2009 - 03:54 PM

also, Im guessing the xt is the basic rocker setup where adjusting the valves is basically a jamb nut you gotta loosen and then get the feeler out, is the klx the shim/bucket style. I dont really think its a big deal either way, because it doesnt take THAT much longer. just curious.

Don't know about the XT but the KLX is as you describe. It doesn't take much longer unless you need to adjust it. Then you pull the cams and hope the dealer has the correct shims.

• armycopter

Posted January 30, 2009 - 04:37 AM

Here is a good article comparing the bikes in question.

http://ridermagazine....cfm?id=1743967

• Yokomo

Posted January 30, 2009 - 05:32 AM

i don't know how accurate that is - it states the klx is air cooled

• OrangeTJ

Posted January 30, 2009 - 09:13 AM

Sure...the air cools the coolant in the radiator!

Edit - from the review "Raising the bar on complexity and power output, Team Green outguns both with a liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve 249cc mill, 34mm CV carburetor and 11.0:1 compression ratio,"

• cliffsta

Posted January 30, 2009 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, the specs don't lie, the KLX is superior. Plus the XT looks so girly. I mean, I know looks aren't everything, but I couldn't ride such a sissy looking bike. My 09 has 6000 miles and is 7+ months old, and I think it is just now starting to get harder to start, IDK if the valves are out of spec or not, but I'll be checking them before much longer. The service manual says 7500 miles. Tons more potential with the KLX than the XT.

I've heard the WR is even more pipe-ish than the KLX, as in, gotta stay up on the revs to keep it grunting it out. The Honda 230L is old spec but based on my research, its more dirt-oriented than the XT but still falls short of the KLX.

• OrangeTJ

Posted January 30, 2009 - 11:19 AM

The WR may be more pipey, but I believe it has substantially more power overall. Hard to argue with 26K valve check intervals, too!

• Ivan X

Posted January 30, 2009 - 04:44 PM

What you think about Xr250r?

• Yokomo

Posted January 30, 2009 - 04:48 PM

never had one but I would. Look they real solid bikes

• Ivan X

Posted January 31, 2009 - 10:07 AM

If you go with Yamaha-ttr250 is far better bike than Xt250.:lol:
But I think that Xr250r is best choice in that classe of bikes.
Or even Xr400r.:)
Anyway,I would rather drive Klx than Xt...:lol:
Just my opinion...
:lol:
Ivan

• Kawidad

Posted January 31, 2009 - 11:48 AM

All I ever ran was 87 octane, after I experimented with high test and noticed no difference at all.

Related Content

Reviews

Kawasaki KLX250S 2012 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX250S 2012
  • 5 reviews
  • Last review by 795.0pacecar
  • On May 15, 2014
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX140 2013 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX140 2013
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX140 2012 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX140 2012
  • 1 review
  • Last review by s1berick
  • On July 11, 2014
Forums
Photo

250 Dual Sports by skatr186

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XT225 vs TW200 by holydiver98

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.