Are yz 426 and yz450 header pipes the same ??

8 replies to this topic
  • laserracer

Posted January 21, 2009 - 11:32 PM

just wanting some info are yz 426 2002 and early model yz 450 header pipes the same ??eg can i fit a 450 header onto my 426...living in new zealand im probably more likely to come across a good used 450 header pipe than a 426

• laserracer

Posted January 22, 2009 - 05:54 PM

The other reason is ive got a dent the size of the grand canyon and a wicked crease in the pipe..If anyone could help that would be great i did a search but came up empty all i really need to know is if they are the same diameter pipe

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted January 22, 2009 - 10:54 PM

A friend of mine stuck a 426 header on his 450 because he completely smashed the original header and he reported that it worked just fine. They were both stock headers so I'm assuming a after market one would fit also. I called FMF on this wondering if I could use their mega bomb on my 426 because they don't make one for the 426. The one thing they said was that its not made for the bike ... It would probably work just fine but I didn't really want to spend that much and be wrong about the performance.

• laserracer

Posted January 23, 2009 - 02:25 AM

Thanks buddy that sounds promising..how much did they want for the mega bomb ??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MuDPoUNdeR

Posted January 23, 2009 - 07:51 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...2QQcmdZViewItem

I'm sure you may find it cheaper that was a quick search. I ended up going with a pro circuit setup on my bike after having a FMF Q with the stock header. I love my pro circuit setup. It increased my over all power, it has more torque and much more top end power. It feels like it will rev for days haha. Great system! I got the header for $170 and the T-4 for $360. It's a little bit pricey but I must say well worth the money. If your concerned about sound it comes with a silent insert and doesn't affect the power band to much and makes the bike VERY quite! If you get on a track and take the sparky out it rips hard! It's a lot of fun to do. You just need to rejet though.

• dfwhockey17

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:59 AM

Does anyone have any more info on this topic almost five years later? I am currently planning my exhaust system for my '02 motard project and wanted to put a FMF Megabomb header on it. I know they don't make one for the 426 and was hoping someone had tried one for an '03-'03 450f on a 426 and knew if in fact it would fit or not. I currently have a ceramic coated Powerbomb for the bike in the garage but like the look of the Megabomb better, after all, it is all about looks anyway  :D .

• dfwhockey17

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Anyone?

• essex426

Posted December 17, 2013 - 12:49 PM

I fitted a fmf powerbomb header pipe and Q pipe for an early 450 (cant remember the year as ages ago) on my 02 426, only had to elongate the hole in the bottom of the subframe where it bolts up, fitted perfect other than that.

Edited by essex426, December 17, 2013 - 01:11 PM.

• dfwhockey17

Posted December 17, 2013 - 04:20 PM

I fitted a fmf powerbomb header pipe and Q pipe for an early 450 (cant remember the year as ages ago) on my 02 426, only had to elongate the hole in the bottom of the subframe where it bolts up, fitted perfect other than that.

Great, thank you for the response!

Cheers,

Trent

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.