I am a blank canvas: Paint me! 2003 WR450

20 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 21, 2009 - 04:28 PM

I just bought a used 2003 WR450 with partial un-corking (I am told) and a valid CA license plate. It is still on the first chain and sprokets, no abuse, and everything works.

It does not run that great. I am used to my highly-tuned in CRFX, in terms of throttle response. The WR requires a slow turn of the throttle at idle, or it will die.

So, what is the hot set up?

GRT pipe tip
Throttle stop removed
Baffle on top of airbox remove (no cutouts)
Changed jets (haven't looked yet)

TIA:banana:

• SXP

Posted January 21, 2009 - 06:18 PM

The early 03 WR450 is the problem child of the entire WR lineup (98 thru 09). It was the first year Yamaha went to estart and they hadn't quite sorted it out yet. Two things to look for are the 04 starter upgrade and the flywheel Woodruff key issue. The second you should address asap (if not already done) or you are going to get stranded out in BFE. Both are addressed in the stickys above some place.

Oh, and welcome to Blue:ride:

• DS-WR450F

Posted January 21, 2009 - 06:38 PM

I would go through the carb. It sounds like you have an accelerator pump issue. You should be able to snap the throttle open as fast as you can. My 04' has very snappy throttle response.
X2 on the starter mods mentioned above.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 21, 2009 - 08:04 PM

Its not that much different to set up than your 450x. The throttle stop needs to be in the bike...if it is not and you turn the throttle too far it'll stick. IIRC the length for the YZ throttle stop is 23.5mm in total length...if you don't want to buy the YZ you can just cut the WR stop to the correct length

The hot set up would be at minimum...

-Desnorkle airbox, open cutouts on the right side behind the black part in front of the side numberplate.
-Any free flowing pipe
-gray wire mod (under the tank)
-correct jetting. (o-ring mod and aftermarket f/s too).

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 21, 2009 - 08:46 PM

I've noticed the three WR450's I've ridden vibrate ALOT more than any other off-road bike I've ridden, save older KTM's and Yamaha two stroke 400's. Is this normal?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 22, 2009 - 06:35 PM

I just bought a used 2003 WR450 with partial un-corking (I am told) and a valid CA license plate. It is still on the first chain and sprokets, no abuse, and everything works.

It does not run that great. I am used to my highly-tuned in CRFX, in terms of throttle response. The WR requires a slow turn of the throttle at idle, or it will die.

So, what is the hot set up?

GRT pipe tip
Throttle stop removed
Baffle on top of airbox remove (no cutouts)
Changed jets (haven't looked yet)

TIA:banana:

Bill, welcome to the Yamaha world.

You'll have to do a little work to get the throttle response as sharp and crisp like you are used to. You'll get that dialed in eventually.

Throttle stop and jets are important. I can tell you what I have and you can start there. But the sticky at the top is a perfect guide. I ride mine in cal city (3000ft) and big bear (8000ft) without having to change jets.

the E-start can be finicky when cold. It starts amazingly easy with the kick starter when cold. When its warm, the e-start is perfect.

It seems to take a little more effort to get the wr's to turn. I have had my suspension redone again to eliminate the front end push that I was always feeling. WR's definitely need a revalve to remove the initial harshness of the forks. I think it definitely likes to ride higher in the stroke and I set my rear sag to no more than 100mm. Then I move the forks up in the clamps to fine tune the turning. The bike is 100X better when the suspension is dialed.

Looking forward to seeing you on some dual sport rides...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:03 PM

Bill, welcome to the Yamaha world.

You'll have to do a little work to get the throttle response as sharp and crisp like you are used to. You'll get that dialed in eventually.

Throttle stop and jets are important. I can tell you what I have and you can start there. But the sticky at the top is a perfect guide. I ride mine in cal city (3000ft) and big bear (8000ft) without having to change jets.

the E-start can be finicky when cold. It starts amazingly easy with the kick starter when cold. When its warm, the e-start is perfect.

It seems to take a little more effort to get the wr's to turn. I have had my suspension redone again to eliminate the front end push that I was always feeling. WR's definitely need a revalve to remove the initial harshness of the forks. I think it definitely likes to ride higher in the stroke and I set my rear sag to no more than 100mm. Then I move the forks up in the clamps to fine tune the turning. The bike is 100X better when the suspension is dialed.

Looking forward to seeing you on some dual sport rides...

Maurice

Did you ever think I'd go Blue?? I sure didn't. :banana:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:21 PM

So far: The Thumpertalk Store is going to love me.....!

- Fuel screw was tightened in all the way; now it's 1.75 out. I ordered a remote fuel screw.
- Carb air boots were both loose. Took out the spacers in the clamp, and now they are tight.
- Put in some fresh premium. Major difference. The old gas must have been months old.
- Runs MUCH better with the TPS disconnected.
- Runs MUCH better with a fully charged battery. (?)
- Charged the battery overnight: starts fine, if the throttle is cracked ever so slightly when hot, closed when cold.
- Stock gearing is too low. I reach 52 mph with the engine under no real labor. 72 wide open. I'm going to 15/50.
- Ordered new chain and sprockets with new gearing
- Ordered JK jet kit, mostly for the tapered needle.
- The existing hand guards are no good. They hit the clutch perch so you can't adjust the lever level. I ordered some Cycra's.
- Man does this bike like to rev! It's power comes on in the upper mid, very gently, and keeps reving. I did not find the rev limiter, but I did not feel like it was rolling off in power. I will need more bottom to feel comfortable in the tight stuff (I am 6'3" 265lbs).
- The bike feels (size-wise) exactly like a CRF250X. Feels about as light too. More power though.
- Rear spring lock nut took some real pounding to loosen. I compressed the spring about 18mm, and still have 20-30mm of static sag. Race sag is no good. Need a stiffer spring. It is SO out of balance, with the rear being dominantly softer than the front: the 'press down on the bike with your right foot on the left peg' test demonstrates this, as the rear goes down twice as much as the front.
- Did I say the bike feels light?
- Stock bars are bent, so I ordered some Protaper Contour Factory Suzuki bends, and some Protaper 1 1/8 adaptor clamps.
-Ordered a new UNI filter, as the stock one has been cleaned with GASOLINE too many times for me to be comfortable about it's ability to filter and flow air.
- Ordered a new plug.

When everything arrives, I will tear it down and grease the Steering head, and get out the torque wrench and the locktite. I've noticed that the fasteners aren't all that great, so I will be replacing where needed with (GASP!!) left over Honda fasteners. They are shinier too.

So, I am anxious to get out on some real dirt, especially single track, to see if it is as effortless to ride as it seems to be. I think my X would kick it's ass in the Desert, but vice-versa in the single track.

Thanks for everybodys help.

• SXP

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:59 PM

Need a stiffer spring.

I've got a 6.3 kg/mm spring with your name on it. I used it when I was in the 250 lb range. PM me if interested.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 22, 2009 - 08:13 PM

I've got a 6.3 kg/mm spring with your name on it. I used it when I was in the 250 lb range. PM me if interested.

According to Race Tech's sight, I need a 6.04 for desert, and up to a 6.24 for supercross. I do plan on doing 80' triples regularly. :banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 22, 2009 - 08:27 PM

According to Race Tech's sight, I need a 6.04 for desert, and up to a 6.24 for supercross. I do plan on doing 80' triples regularly. :banana:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and absolutely gurantee you are not going to get the proper sag with a 6.0 at 265 lbs without adding more than 15 mm of preload to the spring (which is the max you want to go before going up to the next size spring or you get no free sag). This problem is compounded for tall people. Realistically, you are closer to 275-280 lbs in full gear. Been there, done that.

Are you an advanced/aggressive rider, or do you just like putting around?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 22, 2009 - 11:44 PM

Maurice Did you ever think I'd go Blue?? I sure didn't. :banana:

Welcome to the party :lol:

So far: The Thumpertalk Store is going to love me.....!

Yes... they are!

- Charged the battery overnight: starts fine, if the throttle is cracked ever so slightly when hot, closed when cold.
- Stock gearing is too low. I reach 52 mph with the engine under no real labor. 72 wide open. I'm going to 15/50.

Doesn't sound right. Are you using the hot start lever when hot? I do so with no throttle.

15/50 is kind of tall. Isn't 14/50 normal? I am at 14/52 because the bike pulls a little stronger on the low end. I'm too chicken to go much faster than 50mph anyways.

Man does this bike like to rev! It's power comes on in the upper mid, very gently, and keeps reving. I did not find the rev limiter, but I did not feel like it was rolling off in power. I will need more bottom to feel comfortable in the tight stuff (I am 6'3" 265lbs).

I agree. Its weak on the low end compared to your X. WR's need good pipe. I also think it likes to be ridden aggressively.

- The bike feels (size-wise) exactly like a CRF250X. Feels about as light too. More power though.

You must have the stock tank. The bigger tank will change that a little.

I think my X would kick it's ass in the Desert, but vice-versa in the single track.

I think its the other way around. The X will like the rocky single track more and the WR will love the wide open desert where it can rev more freely.

Once you hit some rocky trails, you will find that you'll need a fork revalve desperately.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 24, 2009 - 06:41 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and absolutely gurantee you are not going to get the proper sag with a 6.0 at 265 lbs without adding more than 15 mm of preload to the spring (which is the max you want to go before going up to the next size spring or you get no free sag). This problem is compounded for tall people. Realistically, you are closer to 275-280 lbs in full gear. Been there, done that.

Are you an advanced/aggressive rider, or do you just like putting around?

You are probably right. I have found the RaceTech charts to be off before.
I will PM you.
I am an aggressive rider who stopped taking chances about a year and a half ago. Gotta get to work on Monday!

• ZTUNAMANN

Posted January 24, 2009 - 11:55 AM

No mention of a Hotcam or YZ 450 auto decompression cam?!?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 24, 2009 - 03:07 PM

No mention of a Hotcam or YZ 450 auto decompression cam?!?

I will want more power, but NOT on mid or top. I just want more bottom. Or no change at all. This bike is not going to be another 'black hole' of money.
Yeah, right.:banana: :lol: :lol:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 24, 2009 - 03:33 PM

I just want more bottom.

Dr. D slip on from www.qualitysmart.com will do just that!

This bike is not going to be another 'black hole' of money.Yeah, right

Bingo :banana:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 24, 2009 - 03:36 PM

Dr. D slip on from www.qualitysmart.com will do just that!

Bingo :banana:

Yup. The Dr D is what I want. It transformed my X. Hail Coop:worthy:

• Birdy426

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:04 PM

This bike is not going to be another 'black hole' of money.

Nope...it will be a "blue" hole...but only because it's so much fun! Welcome to the blue side. Hope to see you on some DS rides soon...the plate is great!
Birdy

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 27, 2009 - 06:07 AM

Nope...it will be a "blue" hole...but only because it's so much fun! Welcome to the blue side. Hope to see you on some DS rides soon...the plate is great!
Birdy

I rode the WR in the dirt Sunday for the first time. About 21 miles of single track and tiered construction lots. Very impressed with the ease of general operation. Good tranny! I surely do need a suspension upgrade (I'm a giant) along with the ergonomic changes. It is very cramped for me. Still runs like crap right off idle, so the carb will be coming off as soon as I get the pile of parts. I have the rear spring wrenched tight to zero static sag, and the compression damping all the way in, with marginal improvement.

1. MOOSE CASE SAVER (ebay) $14.00
2. PRO TAPER SUZUKI FAC GOLD 1 1/8 BARS (TT) $52.00
3. TAG OVERSIZE BAR ADAPTORS (TT) $43.00
4. NEW PLUG (TT) $5.00
5. UNI AIR FILTER (TT) $ 26.00
6. JD JET KIT (TT) $ 68.00
7. SHORTY LEVERS (both) (TT) $26.00
8. RXP CHAIN (TT) $72.95
9. MSR REAR SPROCKET-50 (TT)
10. MSR FRONT SPROCKT- 15 (TT)
11. MSR SPROKET BOLT KIT (TT) $ 9.00
12. MSR LINK (TT) $ 8.00
13. BATTERY TENDER PIG TAIL (ebay) $14.00
14. R&D REMOTE FUEL SCREW (TT) 29.00
15. 6.26 KG REAR SPRING (TT PM) $ 50.00
16. MSR SWINGARM RUB STRIP (TT) $30.56
17. CYCRA U-CLAMP HAND GUARDS $ 98.96
18. .49 FRONT SPRING ESP
19. RE VALVE: ESP
20. FLUSH MOUNT FRONT TURN SIGNALS (?)
21. REAR RACK (?)
22. COMPRESSION PLUG BRACKET (me)
23. RADIATOR BRACES (?)

• Birdy426

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:33 AM

George at ESP did mine for the previous owner. I called him (ESP) when I bought the bike, told him my weight (fat) and riding ability (old and slow) and the type of riding I do (mostly desert, a bit of single track), and he recommended some changes to the clickers from what he had set up for the previous owner. It works great for me. I have stock YZ springs both front and rear in place of the WR springs (or so the previous owner said) and the ESP mods, and am very happy with it. I have the "race sag" set at 95 mm to help load up the front wheel and improve cornering, along with a 952 front tire as well.
You're sure welcome totry it and see how it compares to your set up. (For reference, I'm about the same weight, but in a much shorter, girthier package.

Birdie

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.