WR250F or WR450F...........

44 replies to this topic
  • Moscow Roost

Posted June 02, 2009 - 02:18 PM

Zadok,

Been there and am doing that! I owned a WR250R last year. It was NOT the dirt bike I wanted it to be. I traded it for a 08 WR250F 3 months ago.

Initially the increase in power was awesome. It was light years above the "R" in every way except long distance high speed riding (lower gearing and a 50 tooth rear sprocket).

I actually called my local dealer 3 hours ago (before reading this post) and inquired on a 07 or 08 450F. I find myself already wanting more out of the bike. I'm jealous of all my buddies who can cruise down logging roads in 2nd or 3rd gear when I'm in 4th.

I have ridden my buddies 06 450F and like it very much. I am only 5'7" and have to use a Yamalink just to get the balls of my feet on the ground. The Yamalink seems to make my 250F turn on a dime and soak up all the tight trails have to offer. My thought is that the 450 will handle very similar with my link installed. His steel framed bike has a much higher center of gravity (or a least it feels that way) compared to the newer versions.

Not sure if the boss is going to let me get away with ANOTHER up-grade, but it's certainly what I would like to do. Good luck.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted June 03, 2009 - 08:16 AM

I have an 05wr250f and a 06wr450f, at your wieght go the 450 and do the suspension .48 front 5.8 rear, the 250 is a great bike, but at 215 plus gear you will feel that you are killing the bike? I did notice the weight diff. when I bought the new 06 last summer, but very minor? A 450 is still 25lbs lighter than your x? I believe? The 450 is a tractor, mud, hills and single track, it's an all around bike.:eek: :crazy: and I love tight single tracks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vtripper

Posted June 03, 2009 - 08:56 PM

I had a 04 250 and just bought a 07 450. The power is corrupting. I would never go back to a 250.

• Strattos

Posted June 04, 2009 - 01:21 AM

Just read through all the posts in this thread and there's a heap of great advice (no surprises there - this site is awesome). For me though, I think it's still a good idea to test-ride both for yourself.

You might be surprised at how melllow and managable the 450 can be, especially the alloy frame versions. Plus buying a 450 could give you a heap more options later on if you ended up changing your riding conditions. I'm being lazy here, but did you say in your original post how big you are? ie height and weight? That could also be a factor.

I think your choice is a harder one now than it used to be. Having owned a 426 and now an 08 450, I would have been recommending a 250 hands down for your type of riding if the 426 was still around, but the new larger capacity bikes are a lot friendlier.

Having said that, there's still some type of charm about that beautful 426 motor and the way it could almost rip your arms out of your sockets...

• Moscow Roost

Posted June 08, 2009 - 02:10 PM

Zadok,

Been there and am doing that! I owned a WR250R last year. It was NOT the dirt bike I wanted it to be. I traded it for a 08 WR250F 3 months ago.

Initially the increase in power was awesome. It was light years above the "R" in every way except long distance high speed riding (lower gearing and a 50 tooth rear sprocket).

I actually called my local dealer 3 hours ago (before reading this post) and inquired on a 07 or 08 450F. I find myself already wanting more out of the bike. I'm jealous of all my buddies who can cruise down logging roads in 2nd or 3rd gear when I'm in 4th.

I have ridden my buddies 06 450F and like it very much. I am only 5'7" and have to use a Yamalink just to get the balls of my feet on the ground. The Yamalink seems to make my 250F turn on a dime and soak up all the tight trails have to offer. My thought is that the 450 will handle very similar with my link installed. His steel framed bike has a much higher center of gravity (or a least it feels that way) compared to the newer versions.

Not sure if the boss is going to let me get away with ANOTHER up-grade, but it's certainly what I would like to do. Good luck.

UPDATE:

Traded the 08 250F for a 08 450F last Friday...couldn't be more pleased. The bike rides almost identically and the power is very manageable. It is such a pleasure to pull the front tire off the ground without having to jerk on the handlebars.

In the tight woods the bike turns on a dime...plenty of grunt for the big hills and jumps...suspension is awesome...and is only 14 pounds heavier than the 250 model.

I may be vertically challenged and not that heavy, but the 450 feels perfect underneath me.

Go 450...you WON'T be disappointed!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.