WR250F or WR450F...........

44 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted January 22, 2009 - 11:56 AM

The steel framed bikes handle like an overloaded dump truck compared to the aluminum bikes.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 22, 2009 - 01:00 PM

So for those of you that have gone to a 450, what type terrain are
you riding? And what are the opinions on the weight difference?

Here on the east coast of Australia we ride in anything from rock strewn bush tracks, to wide open dirt roads, to sandy whoop trails, to tight first gear single trails, deep mud/water, rock shelves, pretty much everything this side of snow!

I'd like my 450 to be the same weight as the 250, but I'm willing to concede a little pace (and sweat!) in the tight stuff in order to blow the 250s away everywhere else!

Yes, the 450 feels a bit heavy at slow speeds, but honestly, it's not like we are comparing Honda Goldwings to BMX bikes here, there's not that much difference!

Greg

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 22, 2009 - 06:25 PM

Here on the east coast of Australia we ride in anything from rock strewn bush tracks, to wide open dirt roads, to sandy whoop trails, to tight first gear single trails, deep mud/water, rock shelves, pretty much everything this side of snow!

I'd like my 450 to be the same weight as the 250, but I'm willing to concede a little pace (and sweat!) in the tight stuff in order to blow the 250s away everywhere else!

Yes, the 450 feels a bit heavy at slow speeds, but honestly, it's not like we are comparing Honda Goldwings to BMX bikes here, there's not that much difference!

Greg

the wr450 is never a bad choice. I ride mine in some pretty damn tight stuff where it sometimes takes me 20 minutes to go only 1mile. There's lots muscle applied.

A wr250 would be more advantageous in the tighter trails. There's no denying that.

I also ride my wr450 in enduros. Its gets heavy after I am out there working hard in technical terrain for several hours where the average speed over a few hours is normally less than 20mph. You must certainly don't need a 450 for those types of speeds.

If I was taller than 5-9 and my legs were longer, it wouldn't be so top heavy in the technical stuff.

Personally, I got a yz250 to ride the enduros because you always have to keep moving and maintain the pace. But if its not a race or enduro and get to stop and rest every now and then, I will ride the 450 over the same terrain.

• crazyz250

Posted January 22, 2009 - 06:57 PM

to the OP - keep in mind both of our bikes (my 03 450 and friends 08 250) are street legal and i have only riddn his on the street. wide open power shifting the 250 is dirt slow after riding the 450. after you said you hardly get out of 3rd and ride tight woods i would stick with the 250. my 450 is a tank in the woods thats why i converted to street only. just another thought.

• ECKS-Man

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:24 PM

OP, bear in mind that the guys saying that you should get a 450 are basing it on their experience. Also, the guys saying get a 250 are also basing it on their experience. You might not be in their league for riding skill - may not want to be! Your riding location may not be suited to a 450 as well as it would a 250 - or vice versa.

Here's my advice: Try both.

I would suspect from what you are saying that a 250F will be great for the riding you do. I may be wrong, just a call based on your posts. Where I ride I think a 450 is overkill and too dang heavy. If I was riding more open trails I'd not hesitate to get a 450. It is horses for courses, and even then it will depend on YOU as a rider and owner.

Here's an example of the places we ride - if you have a look you'll soon see why I say a 450 is overkill for that country.
http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=424809

• Zadok

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:50 PM

OP, bear in mind that the guys saying that you should get a 450 are basing it on their experience. Also, the guys saying get a 250 are also basing it on their experience. You might not be in their league for riding skill - may not want to be! Your riding location may not be suited to a 450 as well as it would a 250 - or vice versa.

Here's my advice: Try both.

I would suspect from what you are saying that a 250F will be great for the riding you do. I may be wrong, just a call based on your posts. Where I ride I think a 450 is overkill and too dang heavy. If I was riding more open trails I'd not hesitate to get a 450. It is horses for courses, and even then it will depend on YOU as a rider and owner.

Here's an example of the places we ride - if you have a look you'll soon see why I say a 450 is overkill for that country.
http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=424809

I here ya. Im actually thinking the 250 may very well be the better
choice for a couple of reasons. Tight technical trails. I ride with my
12 year old sons, so sometimes the pace can be slower, and I think
the 250 would be more in the "meat" of the gearing instead of bogging
the bike. Lighter. And general skill level. Im not a pro rider by any means.
For right now Im going to keep with the EFI WR250R I am currently
riding. Then when I make my final decision I will turn the R back
into street legal and move on with the F model of my choice.

BTW....nice pics over on ADV forum. Man would I love to ride with
you guys one day. That looks like a cool place.:banana:

• ECKS-Man

Posted January 22, 2009 - 09:43 PM

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. :banana:

Cheers for that! It was a great ride and I will be back in a couple of weekends to do more!

I was so close to getting the WR250R but thought there was too much to do to make it trail-worthy compared to the WR250F. Love the FI and low service intervals on the R though.

If ever you make it over here let me know, there's plenty of good riding in Aus!

• camel toe

Posted January 23, 2009 - 09:35 AM

nobody has touched on a very important 450 trait...LUGGABILITY! i can ride my 450 slower than my 250. wide open desert speed is king but, being able to lug the motor is an easy 2nd.
p.s. one reason i bought the 250 was to ride w/ my wife(on her 150), it still wasn't easy to run her pace.
last note, if your'e riding mainly slow tech stuff, maybe you should also look at KTMs 300 two stroke.....

• WRSJ

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:59 AM

I come from an EXC200 and loved it for the size and feel. I had a KTM SXC 625 for DS.
I went with a 09 WR450 to accomplish all my riding needs. I wanted a wr250 for the size of the bike, but up here it the power lose, is too much for Colorado. I rode a 250 last weekend at the track and like it for the size, but the power was not all that. Now if you could put the 450 in the 250 frame that would be cool.

• powellr

Posted January 23, 2009 - 12:27 PM

If anyone has doubts as to whether the WR250F is fast enough to be competetive . . take a look at last years GNCC in West Virginia:

http://www.racerxonl...had-duvall.aspx

Now I'm not saying that the 450 is a bad option, just saying that the 250 can certainly do the job in the right hands. 2 seconds off first against David Knight aint nothin' to shake a stick at!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 23, 2009 - 02:14 PM

If anyone has doubts as to whether the WR250F is fast enough to be competetive . . take a look at last years GNCC in West Virginia:

Now I'm not saying that the 450 is a bad option, just saying that the 250 can certainly do the job in the right hands. 2 seconds off first against David Knight aint nothin' to shake a stick at!

2 seconds off of David Knight... :banana: That should tell you something right there.

• Scubdawg

Posted January 23, 2009 - 05:10 PM

I was in the the exact same boat as you are just last weekend! I didnt know which size bike to buy, But I ended up taking home the 09 450,After my first week with the bike, Im so glad I got the 450, It may be a little heavier but its not that heavy you couldnt handle it! All in all Im really glad I the 450. The power is really easier to handle than I thought...Good luck in whatever you decide.:banana:

• texas_hippie

Posted January 25, 2009 - 05:35 PM

Yo! Ecks-man...when are you going to invite us down to ride with you?
Awesome pics, of a beautiful country. It's been my dream to ride in Oz since I was just a lil one.....

• ECKS-Man

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:54 AM

texas-hippie, anytime, get a bunch of fellas together and we can sort out an Australia ride-o-rama! We're a fairly friendly mob here and always like showing a new guy around! Not to mention showing them the pub!:lol: :banana:

• gmoss357

Posted January 26, 2009 - 05:17 AM

He also won a team race here recently that had many big names racing in it. He was on the 250 this day as well. Fast kid. Passed me more than a couple of times. lol

http://www.yourrace....L_TEAM_BIKE.TXT

• Zadok

Posted January 26, 2009 - 08:44 AM

texas-hippie, anytime, get a bunch of fellas together and we can sort out an Australia ride-o-rama! We're a fairly friendly mob here and always like showing a new guy around! Not to mention showing them the pub!:lol: :banana:

The way this country is heading down the wrong path, I might just
have to move there and not come back.:lol:

• texas_hippie

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:52 AM

The way this country is heading down the wrong path, I might just
have to move there and not come back.:banana:

I'd be gone in a heartbeat if I had a quaranteed job down there!

• Zadok

Posted January 26, 2009 - 11:51 AM

I'd be gone in a heartbeat if I had a quaranteed job down there!

Good point. Hey any Construction Management jobs down
there? I will even take a cut in pay.....:banana:

• ECKS-Man

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:35 PM

Threadjack alert! Hehehe!

Construction is taking somewhat of a hit here at the moment, the latest I have heard is that the metro areas are ticking over reasonably well but I can vouch for the fact that regional areas are deeply in recession. I'm a surveyor (land/construction) in regional NSW (near Dubbo if you want to Google it) and at the moment we are walking a fine line between staying liquid and layoffs or worse.

So you'd be guaranteed a pay cut, but not guaranteed a job!

• Zadok

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:48 PM

Threadjack alert! Hehehe!

Construction is taking somewhat of a hit here at the moment, the latest I have heard is that the metro areas are ticking over reasonably well but I can vouch for the fact that regional areas are deeply in recession. I'm a surveyor (land/construction) in regional NSW (near Dubbo if you want to Google it) and at the moment we are walking a fine line between staying liquid and layoffs or worse.

So you'd be guaranteed a pay cut, but not guaranteed a job!

Huh, sounds like our economy at the present. Luckily, I work for a good
long term management company. Been around a good long time now. Still
privately family owned. Small, but very specific in the work they do. Just
a good place to be right now. Either way, if the economy continues to
take a dive, and people stop doing commercial development, then I guess
we will all be looking for jobs.

As for highjacking the thread.....Its my thread, so I dont mind.:banana:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.