• Zadok

Posted January 21, 2009 - 07:15 AM

Just want some input from you all on what I can expect
power wise from each. I really am a bit hesitant to go with
a 450 due to the power. I dont want a bike that will be
unpredictable on tight single track trails. Ive ridden motorcycles
all my life, but only been dirt bike/trail riding for about a year
now. I am currently on a WR250R that has been modded to
off road only, basically the EFI version of the F model.
I know the WR250F will still have more power than my R,
as well as better suspension. So should I consider the 250F
or go ahead and step up to a 450F.

Who here has both bikes and can compare the two for me?

Thanks.

BTW...Im 6'3" Tall and 215lbs with gear.

• beezer

Posted January 21, 2009 - 08:26 AM

A stock 450 is very tame but can be perked up for a few bucks.

A WR250 stock is the slowest bike on the planet.

• honeycutt

Posted January 21, 2009 - 08:42 AM

I haven't ridden the WR250 but I have ridden the YZ250 and I would recommend the WR450. I have a 07 WR450 and love it. I am 6ft and 175lbs soaking wet and ride alot of single track and too much power has never been an issue. If the power worries you leave it bone stock but you will want more after awhile and there is plenty in there!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:00 PM

If you pose this question to a 450 forum, then most of the people will tell you to get a 450.

On the tight single track, you may not need a 450. If you like the bike that you have and are looking for less weight, better suspension and want only a little more power, then the wr250f is perfect.

If you want more power as well as all of the above, then get a 450. It has a LOT more power, sometimes too much for the tight single track.

I think that the wr250f has penty of power and will get you up, over and around stuff just fine.

• Zadok

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:16 PM

If you pose this question to a 450 forum, then most of the people will tell you to get a 450.

On the tight single track, you may not need a 450. If you like the bike that you have and are looking for less weight, better suspension and want only a little more power, then the wr250f is perfect.

If you want more power as well as all of the above, then get a 450. It has a LOT more power, sometimes too much for the tight single track.

I think that the wr250f has penty of power and will get you up, over and around stuff just fine.

Thanks for the answer. This is exactly what I was thinking, but
I wasnt real sure about. Any yes, I do NOT want a lot more power.
If the 250f will get me up and over stuff easier than the R, and
have better suspension, then thats what Im looking for. But at
the same time, I just dont want to find myself wishing I had more
power a year from now and wishing I had bought a 450. I dont
necessarily think that will be the case. Just trying to make sure.

:banana:

• erickdj

Posted January 21, 2009 - 01:21 PM

I just dont want to find myself wishing I had more
power a year from now and wishing I had bought a 450. I dont
necessarily think that will be the case. Just trying to make sure.

:banana:

trust me, it will be the case one year from now. It happened to me, one year riding a 250 and I was done with 250's. You're young at 35, you'll outgrow the 250 very fast. 450's are not the "monsters" some people describe, they can be very tame and good at slow/tight terrain.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 21, 2009 - 02:54 PM

I was in two minds over whether to buy a 250 or 450 when I decided to get back into dirt bikes after a 12 year absence.

Eventually I decided on the WR450F and have never looked back.
I've ridden a friend's WR250F a few times since then and I am very glad I didn't buy one of them. They simply aren't as much fun to ride.
(They only go as fast as you turn the throttle by the way, they don't bite unless you ask them to.)

Ok, they certainly feel lighter in the really tight, single trail stuff, but everywhere else the 450 shines!

My friend says he enjoyed his 250 initially, but will definately be buying a 450 next time.

Greg

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 21, 2009 - 03:54 PM

At 215 lbs the 450 is the way to go. The power of a stock WR is very linear and electric feeling...very non threatening. Even fully uncorked with a pipe it retains a similar power profile to stock, there is just more power everywhere.

My aunt has ridden my bike in various states of tune and shes never felt overwhelmed by the engine. Good throttle control will keep you within your comfort zone. :banana: :lol:

• crazyz250

Posted January 21, 2009 - 05:55 PM

i ride a 03 wr450 on the street and compaired to my friends 08 wr250. his is way under powered. i ride it and all of a sudden i hit rev limiter im like come on keep going! just my two cents, i love my 450 i would never downsize. I'm 6'3" 180 lbs. i rode a 01 yz250f for two years when i was 13 or 14 then got a yz250 and loved the power increase. i then got my wr450 and soon got it street legal. i am now converting to super moto but w.e you need the power.... its there

• brad the best

Posted January 21, 2009 - 07:25 PM

450 all the way .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • camel toe

Posted January 21, 2009 - 08:10 PM

i bought a 2007 wr 250, rode it for 2 yrs, loved it, lowered it, and gave it to my wife. now i love a 2007 wr 450. they are both great but, if i had to do it again i'd start w/ the 450.

• crazyz250

Posted January 21, 2009 - 08:20 PM

i bought a 2007 wr 250, rode it for 2 yrs, loved it, lowered it, and gave it to my wife. now i love a 2007 wr 450. they are both great but, if i had to do it again i'd start w/ the 450.

all the info you need rite there OP

nice user name by the way haha

• Zadok

Posted January 22, 2009 - 05:24 AM

all the info you need rite there OP

I think youre right. Hard to argue with someone who has walked
the path Im asking about.

Well, like I told the wife....When in doubt, go BIG.....:banana:

• ckroto

Posted January 22, 2009 - 05:48 AM

Well, speaking from experience also. I had an 06 wr250 that I enjoyed very much. I had the feeling toward the end that I would love the power of a 450. So I got an 07 wr450 and I do love the power. I have been on the 450 for 2 years and the only complaint I have is the weight. This bike is a tank. Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy it. The singletrack we ride is mostly 2nd and 3rd gear stuff and fairly technical. Having ridden both bikes back to back I am always faster and less tired riding the 250. Yep, faster on the smaller bike. Its just easier to toss around than the bigger bike. That being said, whatever the reason, I'm STILL riding the 450 and have sold the 250. Fun factor I guess. I dont care if I'm the fastest guy, I just want to have fun:ride:

• Zadok

Posted January 22, 2009 - 05:53 AM

Well, speaking from experience also. I had an 06 wr250 that I enjoyed very much. I had the feeling toward the end that I would love the power of a 450. So I got an 07 wr450 and I do love the power. I have been on the 450 for 2 years and the only complaint I have is the weight. This bike is a tank. Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy it. The singletrack we ride is mostly 2nd and 3rd gear stuff and fairly technical. Having ridden both bikes back to back I am always faster and less tired riding the 250. Yep, faster on the smaller bike. Its just easier to toss around than the bigger bike. That being said, whatever the reason, I'm STILL riding the 450 and have sold the 250. Fun factor I guess. I dont care if I'm the fastest guy, I just want to have fun:ride:

Well, you bring up a very good point. Maybe those who have wanted
more power in a bike are riding more open higher gear terrain. I ride
tighter wooded single track trails. Lots of back and forth around and
between trees. I very rarely ever get above 3rd gear.
So if the 450 is not only 10lbs heavier, but also carries
its weight up higher, then that could be a deciding factor.

So for those of you that have gone to a 450, what type terrain are
you riding? And what are the opinions on the weight difference?

• gmoss357

Posted January 22, 2009 - 06:14 AM

Well, you bring up a very good point. Maybe those who have wanted
more power in a bike are riding more open higher gear terrain. I ride
tighter wooded single track trails. Lots of back and forth around and
between trees. I very rarely ever get above 3rd gear.
So if the 450 is not only 10lbs heavier, but also carries
its weight up higher, then that could be a deciding factor.

So for those of you that have gone to a 450, what type terrain are
you riding? And what are the opinions on the weight difference?

You can only use so much power in the woods. The smaller bore bikes shine in technical terrain. You said you are not wanting for more power, just less weight and better susp. You can always install a big bore kit or upgrade to a 450 down the road. I like being able to use more of a bikes power. I have had many bikes and had no complaints with my WR except for the weight. It worked great for HS racing and ST, and I wouldn't mind having anohter one. I went to a more powerful bike after my WR and I got bored not being able to really use the power the bike had. I prefer the ST over the faster double track stuff and at the time I wasn't quite as fast as I am now, still no speed demon BTW:busted: (mid pack B now, C then).

It a tough decision, just throwin out another perspective.:banana:

• Zadok

Posted January 22, 2009 - 06:36 AM

You can only use so much power in the woods. The smaller bore bikes shine in technical terrain. You said you are not wanting for more power, just less weight and better susp. You can always install a big bore kit or upgrade to a 450 down the road. I like being able to use more of a bikes power. I have had many bikes and had no complaints with my WR except for the weight. It worked great for HS racing and ST, and I wouldn't mind having anohter one. I went to a more powerful bike after my WR and I got bored not being able to really use the power the bike had. I prefer the ST over the faster double track stuff and at the time I wasn't quite as fast as I am now, still no speed demon BTW:busted: (mid pack B now, C then).

It a tough decision, just throwin out another perspective.:banana:

Thanks. And trust me, Im reading all the opinions. This just seems
like a hard choice.

• gmoss357

Posted January 22, 2009 - 06:40 AM

Thanks. And trust me, Im reading all the opinions. This just seems
like a hard choice.

any way to throw a leg over a 450? I rented a 200 for a day before making my last purchase. Got tired of ending up with a bike I wasn't satisfied with.

• beezer

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:39 AM

I bought both bikes. I use my 250 for the real tight stuff and the 450 for when I'm going riding where the trails are more open.

When I get a 250 I don't bother riding it stock. I put a big bore kit, exhaust and cams in before I ride it.

The stock 250 is unbelivably slow.

• Zadok

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:39 AM

any way to throw a leg over a 450? I rented a 200 for a day before making my last purchase. Got tired of ending up with a bike I wasn't satisfied with.

Yes and No. I say that because I know a guy who has a 450, which
I have briefly ridden. However, it was a little bit older, steel frame,
and I only got to ride it for a few minutes in an open field. Not really
a good test for single track.
I have ridden a 2009 WR250F, but it was bone stock. So that wasnt
a very good test either. Im sure stock isnt anywhere near modded
power, on either the 250 or 450. Throttle stop alone makes a big difference.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.