Power up kit w/piston and cam and stuff?????

1 reply to this topic
  • bigtom17

Posted February 05, 2003 - 09:20 AM

Has anyone have any info about the powerup kit wich includes a new piston, cam, cam chain and lots of other stuff. I saw it on the servicehonda.com page for BRP's. Has anyone any experience with such a thing. Not sure why anyone would need more power but than again I am running out of things to bolt on to this thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted February 05, 2003 - 10:12 AM

I've talked with a number of people who've installed this kit and heard various opinions from them. Several guys have told me they thought it sacraficed a little low end power, but significantly increased the mid and especially the upper end. You can also closely duplicate this kit for much less money from various sources such as from Barnums Pro Products www.barnumspro.com. Make note that you may want to use a higher octane fuel with the high comp piston in this kit. I've been told from some people with this kit that 91 octane works fine while others have said 91 doesn't cut it :) I've never tried it, so I don't know.

Another less expensive option would be to install a more agressive cam and they are fairly inexpensive. Barnums has several tested grinds to choose from (more low end torque, or more top end power, etc.) and they can also give you a custom grind if you know exactly what you want. I think it was Dirt Bike magazine who did a speed shootout with various bikes including the XR650R last year and the Honda guys chose not to use the high comp piston and said the HRC cam did the job nicely by itself for what they needed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.