YZ426 Gearing

3 replies to this topic
  • M0SSLAGER

Posted January 20, 2009 - 10:21 PM

Hey guys, I need some help on picking my new sprockets. I am tempted to just buy an assortment of cheapy rings and find what works and then buy that size in some that are to my liking. I ride an 01' YZ426 that I am setting up for desert riding. I am running an E-Line stator which adds a second 11oz fly wheel. I was running a 14/50 setup and I lost my low end big time with the added FW weight. I dropped to a 13 front I had on hand and it woke it back up. Now my top speed on GPS is only 51.5 and its reving out big time.... lots of torque left :thumbsup: . What should I be looking at with this added FW weight to keep my bottom end but be able to hit say 60-65 on my top end?
Posted Image

• DeeCee

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:07 AM

I would have expected the FW to improve the bottom end not make it worse. If you check the threads on FW weights you will notice they are usually recommended to improve bottom end and 'lugability'.
I therefore suspect you have some other problem and the first I would check is the ignition timing as this may have been affected when you changed your flywheel. Next I would check the valve timing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • M0SSLAGER

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:20 AM

Well, maybe I am explaining this wrong, maybe not. It is like a tractor now in the tight technical single track stuff, but I used to be able to chop the throttle to bring the front end up real quick when needed to get over obstacles. After the E-line was installed I lost that and the snappyness I once had. The bike would rev out much slower because it had all the added FW weight to deal with. The E-Line is a completely separate stator from the stator used for the starting coil. Any idea if I dropped the rear to a 48 or 47 tooth how it would affect the low/high end? I heard 1 tooth in the front is the same as 3 in the rear roughly.

• curthall11

Posted January 21, 2009 - 05:02 AM

I know stock is 14/49 and in the desert I run that and I have a good top end and I can still hit the throttle and bring the front end up any time to get over things.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.