Why would I want a WR450 vs a XR650R for Dualsport?

46 replies to this topic
  • erickdj

Posted August 17, 2009 - 03:35 PM

What are you trying to say ?
We all know you have a plated bike.
Are you the only one capable of achieving this?????

I always wonder what he's trying to get to with those statements.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 17, 2009 - 04:17 PM

What are you trying to say ?
We all know you have a plated bike.
Are you the only one capable of achieving this?????

I might have a plated bike but WHO said it was CA???

I always wonder what he's trying to get to with those statements.

And what Im saying is the law in CA says you CAN NOT do it

This is from Ch13 of CA Vehicle code:
Posted Image

• weathergeek

Posted August 17, 2009 - 07:23 PM

You know the real question here is why can't we plate them? They all come with smog stuff on them now and it would make more money for the states coffers. What would be the harm?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 17, 2009 - 07:34 PM

You know the real question here is why can't we plate them?

Because they do not meet on road emissions. If you look at the emissions label that came with your bike, it will say meets off road emissions.

In all honesty, the thing is lame. :thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 17, 2009 - 07:42 PM

Bottom line is it can be done (illegally) with the proper "help" and signoffs. Whether you are able to keep the plate for good is another question. A friend of mine has an '05 650 Husaberg (for sale by the way) that he plated 4 years ago and still has the plate, but his days could be numbered......or maybe not. Maybe the DMV is so screwed up that they will never figure this out, but I have heard on TT of a couple cases where the plates have been revoked. Honestly, if you can pull it off and have a couple or few years of enjoyment before (if) you lose your plate, then it's probably worth the effort.

However, for anyone trying to sell a plated bike that was not done legally as described above, you would be well advised to spell that out on your sales contract so that when/if the new owner loses his plate at some point, he is not able to come back at you in court thinking that plate was the real deal. Just sayin', CYA is all.

Why the Japanese manufacturers don't make these bikes street legal from the get go is the real question. I don't want to pay another $2500 for a KTM or Husky, but I'd gladly pay another $500-$1000 for a plated WR or CRF from the factory.

• KennyMc

Posted August 17, 2009 - 09:14 PM

To bad no matter one does, its illegal to plate a bike in CA

Trouble-maker:lol:

• Parx_400

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:34 AM

Bottom line is it can be done (illegally) with the proper "help" and signoffs. Whether you are able to keep the plate for good is another question. A friend of mine has an '05 650 Husaberg (for sale by the way) that he plated 4 years ago and still has the plate, but his days could be numbered......or maybe not. Maybe the DMV is so screwed up that they will never figure this out, but I have heard on TT of a couple cases where the plates have been revoked. Honestly, if you can pull it off and have a couple or few years of enjoyment before (if) you lose your plate, then it's probably worth the effort.

However, for anyone trying to sell a plated bike that was not done legally as described above, you would be well advised to spell that out on your sales contract so that when/if the new owner loses his plate at some point, he is not able to come back at you in court thinking that plate was the real deal. Just sayin', CYA is all.

Why the Japanese manufacturers don't make these bikes street legal from the get go is the real question. I don't want to pay another $2500 for a KTM or Husky, but I'd gladly pay another $500-$1000 for a plated WR or CRF from the factory.

The DMV and CARB are both state organizations and therefore screwed up. I have first hand knowable of the IT systems used at DMV. There is no way they are able to use the system to catch people with CA plates. This is being done by hand. With the bad economy and job cuts checking for plates on dirt bikes is last on the list for these department right now. Call it the blessing of the recession.

On a personal note, this law is for show and does not achive any real results. It was passed by Bureaucrats trying to shine up their resume at the cost of other peoples freedom. Laws like this should be broken. We should keep plating these bikes and make them spend money to catch us. In these tough times we could see them give up or grandfather the bikes into law.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.