Why would I want a WR450 vs a XR650R for Dualsport?

46 replies to this topic
  • wobblyknobby

Posted January 23, 2009 - 07:25 AM

Good move going for the WR!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 23, 2009 - 07:31 AM

:banana:

• wobblyknobby

Posted January 23, 2009 - 09:07 AM

:banana:

Somebody needs to help Bigcoup get his plate. Hey wanna trade for my 426 w/ street title? :lol:

• erickdj

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:43 AM

Somebody needs to help Bigcoup get his plate. Hey wanna trade for my 426 w/ street title? :lol:

I don't think he needs any help....:banana:

• erickdj

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:55 AM

These are the only plated bikes I own.

Oh shoot, I think I hear a black DMV helicopter hovering over my house! Better hide the WR, their comming to take it away!

Seriously, I hear that California DMV has closed most all of the loopholes and has become very good at blocking people from slipping them through. I wouldn’t buy a new one here in Ca. "just to plate it” these days. Unless you know you will not loose sleep after spending the time and money if DMV says no, no.

If your state allows it, Go for it!

Nice WR you got there, Enjoy the plate!

• snaggletooth

Posted January 23, 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thank's for the advice Bigcoop.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted January 25, 2009 - 11:13 PM

the only time i wish i had a bigger bike with more power is down in mexico when were down on the beaches taped out, but other than that my wr has held up amazingly. i do not do the campsite rides or family rides more than a few times a year other than that it is on the gas hard through singe tracks and whatever else is unlucky enough to be in my way. i have done alot of work with the sprockets and such and have diferent teeth sprockets for diferent rides, but in my experiences i have found that my wr has been able to get the job done. i have had the pleasure of riding some XRR's and they almost felt like it was too much for the avrage desert day ride, but when were doing 200+ miles, the XRR is not a bad toy to have under you.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted January 25, 2009 - 11:20 PM

the WR would make a great dual sport IF it was possible to plate in CA:thumbsup:

however as we all know its no longer possible in CA:banghead: :banana:

I HAVE FOUND A WAY!!!!!!!!

takes alot of time and a friend that you trust alot.

buy the bike out of state. register it. plate it. keep it there for 6 months, and than through the dmv, you go and have the bike re registered in california.

it works. i am looking at a 2005 wr 450 with a legit ca plate with up to date tags.

asked one of my cop budies to run it through the system and it came back as that bike with the vin numbers corect on it. like i said it takes alot of work, but it is do able none the less.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted January 26, 2009 - 08:52 AM

OK fine.

I bought one.

Happy now?

I think I might be. Needs more uncorking. No bottom, stalls too easily, and runs ragged on the pilot and needle. Main seem fine, for now. Already found maintenence issues: loose carb boots, duct-taped wiring. No worries.

Wow. My first Yamaha after 23 other motorcycles. I think I need a shower :lol:

Do the free mods and you'll be happy as hell.

...... bahhh :banana:

• ASternad

Posted August 09, 2009 - 08:29 PM

Update to an old post:
these guys say they can plate a Green Sticker 4stroke.
I'm on the fence about which bike gets to go 1st.

http://dualsportguys.com/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 09, 2009 - 08:43 PM

Update to an old post:

Yeah, but wait till you find out how much they charge........................:thumbsup:

• racinteach

Posted August 09, 2009 - 10:28 PM

Update to an old post:

There is away and it makes sense. Look at the above site and look at the "primer". Better yet give Troy a call.

• snaggletooth

Posted August 10, 2009 - 01:17 AM

$100 for good avice, that's steep! I guess it would be worth it if no one else who has done it lately is willing to help with every detail. I bet they send you through the special construction route? Who cares as long as it's a fool proof way of getting your plate.
Good luck, S/T.

• ASternad

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:30 AM

For a 05 KTM 450exc, I was quoted $500 (bike stays with them for 3-4 days) and they take care of all the DMV stuff.
The recommend DS kit runs about $480.
So to get my dirt bike on the road 1K, it's steep, but to me it's worth it.

• weathergeek

Posted August 16, 2009 - 05:12 PM

For a 05 KTM 450exc, I was quoted $500 (bike stays with them for 3-4 days) and they take care of all the DMV stuff.
The recommend DS kit runs about $480.
So to get my dirt bike on the road 1K, it's steep, but to me it's worth it.

Where are they?

• ASternad

Posted August 16, 2009 - 06:13 PM

Redding, CA

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 16, 2009 - 07:39 PM

To bad no matter one does, its illegal to plate a bike in CA

• erickdj

Posted August 17, 2009 - 08:06 AM

:thumbsup:

• ASternad

Posted August 17, 2009 - 08:42 AM

I'll be sure to remeber that when I pass you on the street with my [COLOR="Red"]plated[/COLOR] green sticker 4stroke.

Jay Walking is ilegal too!

• tribalbc

Posted August 17, 2009 - 03:05 PM

What are you trying to say ?
We all know you have a plated bike.
Are you the only one capable of achieving this?????

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.