Why would I want a WR450 vs a XR650R for Dualsport?

46 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 20, 2009 - 08:35 PM

We all know the XRR is a venerable frieght train with knobbies, and I would like to know if the WR makes a good dual-sport conversion for REAL DIRT RIDING AT HIGH SPEEDS AND SINGLE TRACK. I'm talking Class A rides, not fireroads, campsites, or sweeping the family rides.:thumbsup:

• Xr650rhonda

Posted January 21, 2009 - 01:45 AM

We all know the XRR is a venerable frieght train with knobbies, and I would like to know if the WR makes a good dual-sport conversion for REAL DIRT RIDING AT HIGH SPEEDS AND SINGLE TRACK. I'm talking Class A rides, not fireroads, campsites, or sweeping the family rides.:thumbsup:

I've owned a couple of XRR pigs and I loved all of them. It could handle any type of riding ( I rode single track quite a bit) and I found myself in the middle of the pack when riding with a group of much lighter bikes; plus it never broke down. It was about a year ago when a good friend of mine talked me into my first family enduro and I was hooked.
I picked up a plated Wr450f and I could feel 50 pounds less weight as soon as my butt hit the seat, but it was the transmission on the Wr that killed the hopes of me ever buying a pig ever again. My xr650r would go through the gears fast and then I would always be wondering why there was not a 6th. The thing I will never forget from my last ride during the fall was when the trail would open up onto a fire road I could only get into 5th on the Wr for a couple of minutes before a turn would come up.
I also remember my first ride on my Wr and how different if felt to ride over my pig and that's when I bit it and hit the ground, you see I got up and my bike was still running. If this would have been on my pig, it would be a good ten minutes trying to start it. When a pig hits the ground it floods and you have to begin this starting drill. But the biggest thing the Wr offers to me over the pig is when I was riding with a group of guys and I stalled it in a sharp turn and could hear the bike behind me closing in and I just hit the magic button and was off and ripping, on my pig I would have had to pull off the trail let the guy by and kick the damn thing. I've ramble on enough, it's not even close for me between the two and I own a garage full of honda with one blue bike.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 21, 2009 - 06:11 AM

I've owned a couple of XRR pigs and I loved all of them. It could handle any type of riding ( I rode single track quite a bit) and I found myself in the middle of the pack when riding with a group of much lighter bikes; plus it never broke down. It was about a year ago when a good friend of mine talked me into my first family enduro and I was hooked.
I picked up a plated Wr450f and I could feel 50 pounds less weight as soon as my butt hit the seat, but it was the transmission on the Wr that killed the hopes of me ever buying a pig ever again. My xr650r would go through the gears fast and then I would always be wondering why there was not a 6th. The thing I will never forget from my last ride during the fall was when the trail would open up onto a fire road I could only get into 5th on the Wr for a couple of minutes before a turn would come up.
I also remember my first ride on my Wr and how different if felt to ride over my pig and that's when I bit it and hit the ground, you see I got up and my bike was still running. If this would have been on my pig, it would be a good ten minutes trying to start it. When a pig hits the ground it floods and you have to begin this starting drill. But the biggest thing the Wr offers to me over the pig is when I was riding with a group of guys and I stalled it in a sharp turn and could hear the bike behind me closing in and I just hit the magic button and was off and ripping, on my pig I would have had to pull off the trail let the guy by and kick the damn thing. I've ramble on enough, it's not even close for me between the two and I own a garage full of honda with one blue bike.

Thanks for the feedback:
- lighter
- modern pumper carb
- wider ratio trans
- e-start

Hard to argue with.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 21, 2009 - 07:31 AM

We all know the XRR is a venerable frieght train with knobbies, and I would like to know if the WR makes a good dual-sport conversion for REAL DIRT RIDING AT HIGH SPEEDS AND SINGLE TRACK. I'm talking Class A rides, not fireroads, campsites, or sweeping the family rides.:banana:

the WR would make a great dual sport IF it was possible to plate in CA:thumbsup:

however as we all know its no longer possible in CA:banghead: :lol:

• snaggletooth

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:09 PM

Do yourself a favor and get the WR!

I rode and loved my plated XR650R for many years. Even as a very short ridder the BRP did everything for me without issue (I did lowere it a bit). After installing a pumper carb, the BRP started as easy as any other bike after it was set just past TDC (even after a fall that left it upside down). The only thing that my BRP didn't like was the biger jumps.

The top speed was awesome but it didn't give that snapy feel of a moto cross bike. I never had a great desire to go 100MPH off road anyway. I just wanted that snapy feel of a motocross bike. The other thing that I didn't like about the BRP was that it didn't make me feel like I was ridding a motocross bike. It's big form didn't look like one and sure as heck didn't ride like one at all.

The BRP has long left my stable and I have been on my plated 07 WR450F for some time now. I love it! Just looking at it lets my imagination trick me into thinking I goining for a harcorps motocross ride. Sitting on it makes me feel like James Stewart even before it's started. While ridding it's much more snappier than the BRP and it's lighter feel on tight trails, or any where for that matter, makes me feel like I'm on a real harcops motocross bike. It's not a YZ450F and I'm no pro ridder but it makes me feel like I'm one, hehehe.

For the ridding I do, which is everything from fireroads, open desert, big hill's, to tight single track, the WR is hands down the better bike for me. I'm much faster on the WR in all conditions. The WR also like to jump a lot more than the BRP. I only use the plate to connect trails or just get to the ones that are close to my house and the WR is much faster than it has to be for that.

If I were using the bike for a lot of extended street use I think that BRP would be beter suited for that task. I avoid the freeway at all cost on the WR.

The majic butt on the WR is nice (my kick starter looks brand new) but starting the BRP was never an issue after the carb swap.

The other day I was watching some Baja Score clips, It made me dream about being Johnny Cambell. Darn, I wish I had both bikes!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 21, 2009 - 01:17 PM

Do yourself a favor and get the WR!

I rode and loved my plated XR650R for many years. Even as a very short ridder the BRP did everything for me without issue (I did lowere it a bit). After installing a pumper carb, the BRP started as easy as any other bike after it was set just past TDC (even after a fall that left it upside down). The only thing that my BRP didn't like was the biger jumps.

The top speed was awesome but it didn't give that snapy feel of a moto cross bike. I never had a great desire to go 100MPH off road anyway. I just wanted that snapy feel of a motocross bike. The other thing that I didn't like about the BRP was that it didn't make me feel like I was ridding a motocross bike. It's big form didn't look like one and sure as heck didn't ride like one at all.

The BRP has long left my stable and I have been on my plated 07 WR450F for some time now. I love it! Just looking at it lets my imagination trick me into thinking I goining for a harcorps motocross ride. Sitting on it makes me feel like James Stewart even before it's started. While ridding it's much more snappier than the BRP and it's lighter feel on tight trails, or any where for that matter, makes me feel like I'm on a real harcops motocross bike. It's not a YZ450F and I'm no pro ridder but it makes me feel like I'm one, hehehe.

For the ridding I do, which is everything from fireroads, open desert, big hill's, to tight single track, the WR is hands down the better bike for me. I'm much faster on the WR in all conditions. The WR also like to jump a lot more than the BRP. I only use the plate to connect trails or just get to the ones that are close to my house and the WR is much faster than it has to be for that.

If I were using the bike for a lot of extended street use I think that BRP would be beter suited for that task. I avoid the freeway at all cost on the WR.

The majic butt on the WR is nice (my kick starter looks brand new) but starting the BRP was never an issue after the carb swap.

The other day I was watching some Baja Score clips, It made me dream about being Johnny Cambell. Darn, I wish I had both bikes!

This is all correct except for the fact that you CAN NOT plate a bike in CA :banana:

• SXP

Posted January 21, 2009 - 01:33 PM

This is all correct except for the fact that you CAN NOT plate a bike in CA :banana:

Uh huh! Stop rubbing it in or I may just have to come over and spank your ass with that nice plate off your 08:lol:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 21, 2009 - 04:52 PM

OK fine.

I bought one.

Happy now?

I think I might be. Needs more uncorking. No bottom, stalls too easily, and runs ragged on the pilot and needle. Main seem fine, for now. Already found maintenence issues: loose carb boots, duct-taped wiring. No worries.

Wow. My first Yamaha after 23 other motorcycles. I think I need a shower :banana:

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 21, 2009 - 07:18 PM

OK fine.

I bought one.

Happy now?

:lol: krannie owns a blue bike now.

Come on krannie lets see pics of that thing!:banana:

• KennyMc

Posted January 21, 2009 - 10:39 PM

Welcome to the club. As you know with your previous bikes, having the plate opens up so many more options. Tough day in Big Bear, head into town for some refreshments. I don't ride my WR very hard on the street and no freeways:eek: But once on the trails in Los Padres and Kennedy Meadows, sweet stuff:banana: :banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kjr247

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:28 AM

Krannie, you'll love that WR. IMO it's the XR of modern bikes. Very solid. I have an '99 400 and still runs like a top.

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 22, 2009 - 08:20 AM

I am curious to hear how the plating goes....

In WA state we have the same issue... working on it now.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 22, 2009 - 09:06 AM

I am curious to hear how the plating goes....

In WA state we have the same issue... working on it now.

Sadly like i said above, its cant be done in CA

• KennyMc

Posted January 22, 2009 - 09:16 AM

Your just a big downer:smirk:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 22, 2009 - 02:16 PM

I hate that. That sucks.

• erickdj

Posted January 22, 2009 - 02:24 PM

Uh huh! Stop rubbing it in or I may just have to come over and spank your ass with that nice plate off your 08:lol:

:banana: Exactly, I'm sure that plate is real.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:24 PM

Yup, it is. It has the ever-so-coveted EN mark on the Pink Slip. Never gonna lose it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:25 PM

Krannie, you'll love that WR. IMO it's the XR of modern bikes. Very solid. I have an '99 400 and still runs like a top.

:banana: " THE XR OF MODERN BIKES" :lol:

I like that . I'm stealing it.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 22, 2009 - 08:32 PM

you all crack me up:thumbsup:

who said my bike was plated and if it is who said it was cali plated:busted:

• snaggletooth

Posted January 23, 2009 - 05:53 AM

These are only (two of) the plated bikes I own.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Seriously, I hear that California DMV has closed most all of the loopholes and has become very good at blocking people from slipping them through. I wouldn’t buy a new one here in Ca. "just to plate it” these days. Unless you know you will not loose sleep after spending the time and money if DMV says no, no.

By the way, I ran into a guy at Kennedy Meadows last summer with a CR450X that had all the lights/switches but no plate. He said that He tried to get it through 4-5 DMV's (even tryed a couple in the sticks) but no luck. He is still a winner because he loves the bike, even without the plate.

If your state allows it, Go for it!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.