What could have happened, and I am feeling stupid!

7 replies to this topic
  • BrandonW

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:28 AM

Was riding my bike on the highway at 60 MPH, and it died. Not ran out of gas, but the bike died.

When I came to a stop, I I pulled in the decomp and was slowly cycling the engine through, listening for things out of the ordinary. (This is the part where I start feeling stupid)

I am wearing a pair of old boots, and the kick starter has worn a hole in the sole of the boots.

As I am cycling the engine through, the damn kickstarter got caught in the sole of my boot. As I tried to get the boot off of the kicker, I lost my damn balance and fell to the right.

yep. you guessed it. I now have a nice hole in the bottom of my foot from the kicker.

:)

Injured by the bike, and it was not even running.

The question is, what made the bike die while doing 60?

I have not tried to restart it, but I had a buddy kick it the other day. Would not start, and the headlight was not lighting up as he was kicking. When the foot gets better, I'll pull the plug and look for a spark. Anything else that I need to be looking for? Loose wires? A ground?

Thanks,

Brandon

• YZeezee

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:34 AM

I don't know about the bike, but are you saying the kick starter went into your foot as you fell over? Like it punctured your foot? If so, that had to hurt like a mofo... :)

• MOmilkman

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:42 AM

Originally posted by BrandonW:
Was riding my bike on the highway at 60 MPH, and it died. Not ran out of gas, but the bike died.

When I came to a stop, I I pulled in the decomp and was slowly cycling the engine through, listening for things out of the ordinary. (This is the part where I start feeling stupid)

I am wearing a pair of old boots, and the kick starter has worn a hole in the sole of the boots.

As I am cycling the engine through, the damn kickstarter got caught in the sole of my boot. As I tried to get the boot off of the kicker, I lost my damn balance and fell to the right.

yep. you guessed it. I now have a nice hole in the bottom of my foot from the kicker.

:)

Injured by the bike, and it was not even running.

Next time you tell this story, I would leave this part out... :D :D

If you get no spark I would check the kill switch.

• BrandonW

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:05 AM

Yeah, the kickstarter punctured the sole of my foot. After I fell, I had to kick the bike off of me with the left foot, and I think that is where most of the damage occured.

As for the bike, I am crappy with electronics. That will be a drag chasing that issue down.

I will not ride again with boots that are not up to the task, and I recommend the same to you!

Brandon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZeezee

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:07 AM

Man, that makes me hurt just thinking about it... :) :D :D

• tuco

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:28 AM

That happening to me once a long time ago. Had to push the thing a couple miles to get back home, that was fun. Had a piece of carbon stuck between the plug electrodes.

• overthebars_again

Posted July 23, 2002 - 03:33 AM

Dude,

The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago on my YZ. Turns out that the stator was tits up.
otb_a

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 23, 2002 - 03:47 AM

Sorry about your foot

But as far as the bike goes, are you missing any time?, like 20 minutes or so. Did you watch stop at the time your bike stopped?

Any funny puncture wounds on your body, aka back of the neck, strange bruises?

Ya know how do you know the puncture wound in your foot was from the bike? :)

Dude I thnk you were abducted :D

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.