WR vs YZ spring rates (2008 models)

7 replies to this topic
  • WR450FGreg

Posted January 20, 2009 - 01:48 PM

I am considering beefing up the suspension on my '08 WR450F due to it bottoming terribly on MX tracks and occasionally during fast bush runs.

I'm 82 kg and have increased the pre-load on my rear and also the oil level in the front, it's still bottoming. I've increased the compression damping too.

I thought I'd check out YZ springs and to my surprise the spring rates (according to the parts lists) are almost identical!
The rear spring is identical in this regard and the fork springs are only slightly stiffer.

Comments?
Which direction should I be heading?

Cheers,
Greg

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 20, 2009 - 02:07 PM

Which direction should I be heading?

in all honesty, it sounds like you are to big for the stock stuff...its ok i was:bonk:

you would be far better to spend your money and have your suspension sprung and valved for your weight...:thumbsup:

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 20, 2009 - 02:50 PM

in all honesty, it sounds like you are to big for the stock stuff...its ok i was

i'm in denial here !! :thumbsup:

I forgot to add, I always like to use OEM Yamaha parts where possible rather than aftermarket.
Are there other YZ springs that will fit/work in my bike?

Greg

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 20, 2009 - 03:00 PM

i'm in denial here !! :thumbsup:

Honest man:thumbsup:

I forgot to add, I always like to use OEM Yamaha parts where possible rather than aftermarket.
Are there other YZ springs that will fit/work in my bike?:

im not sure but i dont think so....(I could be wrong so dont hold me to it)...however even if you have to go aftermarket , eibach springs is what everyone seems to use...i have never had an issue with them...plus they are fairly cheep:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted January 22, 2009 - 08:11 AM

I just swapped the YZF (Titanium) spring for the new WRF (metal) spring (selling the YZF now), the shock rates are similar, the YZF is lighter (no water reservoir, battery, heavy muffler etc). The Titanium spring is more responsive (besides being lighter). http://www.coilsprin...e/why_titanium/ What makes the YZF feel better to is the seat (lighter density foam and bigger (higher)foam bed, due to absence of battery). I =swapped the foam too and added 2 cm high density foam under the seat. Great result and also corrects for my height 1.82 cm)

I can send a picture if I know how to add such

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 22, 2009 - 01:03 PM

the YZF is lighter (no water reservoir, battery, heavy muffler etc).

You are right! I feel pretty stupid at the moment :banana: (I hadn't thought of that.)
This is why both bikes can run the same spring rates!

Thanks!

Greg

• mvryder

Posted January 22, 2009 - 01:25 PM

Watch out for eibach springs for the new WR. I got some and they are 20MM too long compared to the WR springs.

• tribalbc

Posted January 22, 2009 - 06:56 PM

Watch out for eibach springs for the new WR. I got some and they are 20MM too long compared to the WR springs.

You just have to order the right model from the Eibach website.
I also ordered some from the TR catalog and got the 20mm too long ones. They have the wrong model listed.
Talked to Eibach and got it all sorted out :banana:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.