muffler mod

2 replies to this topic
  • Rivera926

Posted January 20, 2009 - 01:09 PM

Sorry if I am asking a redundant question but im coming off a modded YZ250 and am new to the 450 world. I just purchased a new YZ450F and would like to remove the cones from the stock silencer and replace it with a core from one of the several old 4stroke silencers I have. Im sure this has been done many times?? My biggest question about this is not performing the mod, but how loud it would actually be? Thank you for any input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dl19

Posted January 20, 2009 - 05:10 PM

Why do anything like that? It will only make it louder and you won't gain any performance. Been tested over and over. If you want louder with more power you need an aftermarket.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 20, 2009 - 08:55 PM

In answer to your question: If it's a "shorty" muffler then it will be a lot louder. If it's the longer version then the volume difference won't be so extreme.

Now..... off topic......

It will only make it louder and you won't gain any performance.

Sorry, but not true! Yes, it will certainly be louder but it will also perform better.

Been tested over and over.

Yep, and most of them perform better after modification!

If you want louder with more power you need an aftermarket

After seeing/feeling the result of my own OEM muffler mods and comparing them by riding other bikes back to back I am convinced that there are a lot of people with blinkers on in that regard!

You don't need to spend money on an aftermarket pipe to gain performance! Careful (thoughtful) modification of a stocker (do your research!) will see your bike flying!

The only advantage in aftermarket pipes is looks (which I think 90% of people find the most satisfying, they look cool) and a weight reduction.

For the record an OEM Yamaha YZ450 "shorty" muffler is lighter than all of them anyway!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.