new to the 426 as well as dirt biking!

54 replies to this topic
  • travisn

Posted March 08, 2009 - 11:21 AM

Mostly, it's the idle circuit that's important to good starting:

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

on the jetting page, with tach section it states:

If #2 is greater than #3 or #4, you have the right pilot jet. Usually the difference will only be 50 to 100 RPM. Go on to step #7.

There is no #7. lol

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2009 - 02:44 PM

There is no #7. lol

Not my fault. If you have the right pilot, I would think step #7 would be to go on with the rest of your life.

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2009 - 02:56 PM

Complacency and laziness...its an epidemic

I don't see the greatly enhanced ability to restart on the fly, or the ability to get underway again more quickly as being definable as either complacency or sloth. I do see condescending denial by people who have not fairly tried something themselves as being all too prevalent.

Or, did you mean that those not doing the upgrade are lazy and complacent? That may be a bit harsh, but in some cases, it's accurate.

• berudd

Posted March 08, 2009 - 03:52 PM

Hey grayracer, not busting your chops her dude but have you actually owned a bike like this? I have owned a 426 as well as a couple of 450s and the 426 was the best starting bike I have ever had. And the others were not bad. The 426 forces you to start it the way any 4 stroke prefers to be started. Kicking it from just after dead center.

And it bump started better and any of the other 4 strokes I have had too. You just have to have your wits about you and grab that decomp lever. You hear it chug once and then you let go and you are back in business. And I am talking from some pretty low speeds here as well. I the same situations the 450 lock up the rear wheel and stop. The decomp lever is also nice if you happen to flood it. Pull it in and kick it over 10 or 15 times and that clears it out.

Of course the real solution is to use the clutch properly to prevent the bike from stalling. Once I learned how to ride the a 4 stroke, I very rarely stalled the bike and a restart was not an issue. Of course there is always the post crash start but in those cases, I am usually not in a huge hurry to get going anyway.

So what is with the apparently hostility anyway? No one was being condescending to you, they just disagreed. I could care less who can start their bike sooner. I would rather just ride. But that's just me.

• spc mike

Posted March 08, 2009 - 04:19 PM

Hey grayracer, not busting your chops her dude but have you actually owned a bike like this?

Are you kidding me??:p

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hey grayracer, not busting your chops her dude but have you actually owned a bike like this? I have owned a 426 as well as a couple of 450s and the 426 was the best starting bike I have ever had. And the others were not bad. The 426 forces you to start it the way any 4 stroke prefers to be started. Kicking it from just after dead center.

Why, yes I have. Some you wouldn't have ever heard of, and some you would. I was "raised" on big British thumpers, some as large as 600cc an more. I'm familiar with every trick there is to do with a compression release.

And, if you start the YZ426 by the prescribed method, you are kicking it from just before TDC, not just after. Moving the kick starter the 1" from the compression point that Dr. D mentions advances the piston closer to, but not past, TDC. Same as with auto decompression.

And it bump started better and any of the other 4 strokes I have had too. You just have to have your wits about you and grab that decomp lever. You hear it chug once and then you let go and you are back in business.

Ah, but you see, with AD, none of that flying-fingers manipulation is necessary. Let off the brake and let the clutch out...that's it. Much quicker than even an experienced lever operator.

Flooding is easily cleared by opening the throttle all the way and pushing through a couple of times.

I also tend not to be in a huge rush after a crash anymore, but I'm also rarely in the mood for unnecessary complications.

The "hostility" is mostly perceived, but it originates from people who belittle advocates of AD cam upgrades and the upgrade itself as having little or no merit based solely on the fact that they themselves have become comfortable with the manual system. I was too, and still am. In fact, I almost didn't buy my first YZ450 because it didn't have manual decompression. Now, however, I would never voluntarily go back to it.

• yamihoo2

Posted March 09, 2009 - 09:36 AM

The people who say stuff like this don't own a 426 with Auto Decompression.

People who say stuff like this....assume quite a bit, or maybe on Hot Cams payroll...

Just for the record, had my cams out, inspecting them, shims/buckets etc. just a month ago...Had plenty of cash in my bank account...and yet did I?...."GASP" Oh no actually chose not to put in a AD cam because I simply enjoy riding my bike just fine pulling the lever and starting on 1st or 2nd kick every time because it is a well tuned machine.
:p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2009 - 09:58 AM

I assume nothing. My preference is based on having had it both ways, and selected the system I like best for particular reasons. Your assertion that that makes me lazy and/or complacent is based on none of that.

• Wiz636

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:20 AM

This is funny.

Installing an AD cam is the single best mod you can do to a 426 and I'm not talking just about the ease of starting the bike. It helps when you come into a corner hot and brake stall...the bike will fire right back up with compression rather than putting your sack on the gas cap. The Hotcams AD cam also gives the 426 a stronger bottom end.

I've owned a 426 and had no problem starting it hot or cold with the manual compression release but the AD cam makes it faster, easier, and adds other benefits. On top of that it is VERY inexpensive.

But I guess if you want to roll old-school-cool then stick with the manual release.

• berudd

Posted March 09, 2009 - 06:35 PM

Im ready to do my decomp mod...Im the one who has to hike out to the bike if someone cant start it, usually my cousin. I usually turn my idle up a little for a someone but people stall all the time.

We all rode when we were young, now Im in Jersey and they are stuck on Long Island..(Islander by birth Jersean by grace of God) they come to me if they want to ride.
Just a note Everyone of them was amazed with the 426 power compared to yesterdays bikes, they all ride street now.

Ha you are a better man than me. I would not let them ride it if they could not start it. :p

• berudd

Posted March 09, 2009 - 06:48 PM

The people who say stuff like this don't own a 426 with Auto Decompression.

Well duh. If they didn't own one, the obviously they would probably say it is not needed. Hey, if I am not on fire, please do not douse me in water, right?

No one is saying it is a horrible idea, just that is not a mandatory thing. I never had it and never missed it and I have owned bikes with it. Maybe you can start it faster in the pits. Big deal. How fast you can start in the pits is probably just as cool as seeing how fast you can ride in the pits. You know, the guys that ride in the pits faster than they do on the track. What is the best fix for starting it when you stall? Don't stall it. If you are duking it out with someone and stall your bike you are probably beat no matter how fast you get restarted. Well, unless you out class the guy, and in that case shame on your for messing with him. :p

• berudd

Posted March 09, 2009 - 06:56 PM

I will agree that the danger of breaking the lever of is probably motivation enough to make the change. That was actually a big factor for me when I was considering it.

• travisn

Posted March 10, 2009 - 04:53 PM

...It helps when you come into a corner hot and brake stall...the bike will fire right back up with compression rather than putting your sack on the gas cap...

I hope this has some half truths in it. You are saying its near impossible to bump start after brake stalling? I end up doing that a lot on bigger down hills...

I will agree that the danger of breaking the lever of is probably motivation enough to make the change. That was actually a big factor for me when I was considering it.

A lot of people said you can just reach down and flick the lever where it goes into the head (on the right side of the bike)

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2009 - 07:21 PM

I hope this has some half truths in it. You are saying its near impossible to bump start after brake stalling? I end up doing that a lot on bigger down hills...

He's not saying it's impossible. What he's saying is that once stalled, an auto decompression engine will tend to turn over on its own if you do no more than let off the brake, whereas the manual decomp engine will refuse to start rolling without intervention.

• travisn

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:16 PM

oh ok, good to know...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.