2008 YZ450F tech issue

9 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:54 PM

I went riding today. Interresting issue. My bike has plenty of power, but when I am under throttle and going through whoops, my bike studders. It's almost like you shut the fuel off and it's starving for gas. Don't know if the float pin is getting stuck or if its an issue with the ignition. Has this happened to anyone else? Thaks Wes:banghead:

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:32 PM

I went riding today. Interresting issue. My bike has plenty of power, but when I am under throttle and going through whoops, my bike studders. It's almost like you shut the fuel off and it's starving for gas. Don't know if the float pin is getting stuck or if its an issue with the ignition. Has this happened to anyone else? Thaks Wes:banghead:

I have this too on my 426 and cant help but think that its just yamabog. I have never experimented with accelerator pump covers but people say that they cure this.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 19, 2009 - 10:00 PM

Jetting is spot on, R&D Powerbowl, no bog, pipe, good 100 octane fuel. 13 hours on engine. it just started today. I'm gonna pull the carb and check it out.

• KJ790

Posted January 19, 2009 - 10:10 PM

Are you sure you aren't hitting the rev limiter when the wheel comes off the ground between whoops and is free spinning?

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 19, 2009 - 11:47 PM

Jetting is spot on, R&D Powerbowl, no bog, pipe, good 100 octane fuel. 13 hours on engine. it just started today. I'm gonna pull the carb and check it out.

wow, you have all the upgrades already. Maybe a problem with float needle like you said

Update: have you checked your gas cap vent? I just remembered that when I went to jawbone canyon last, my vent cap got plugged and was not letting air into the tank causing the carb to not get enough fuel. Just a thought.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:52 AM

Are you sure you aren't hitting the rev limiter when the wheel comes off the ground between whoops and is free spinning?

You know, I didn't think of that. I will take notice. Thanks again.

• Family Man

Posted January 20, 2009 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like a lean condition or a faulty tps. My bike was stutering and I bumped up the main jet from a 162 to a 165 and it went away. Also, Ive read in the jetting section that disconecting the tps may solve the stutter if the TPS is bad.

• KJ790

Posted January 20, 2009 - 10:13 AM

If it is only doing it in whoops, try hitting them in a gear higher and see if it doesn't do it quite as bad. If so, then it is the rev limiter, if it doesn't then it could be an actual mechanical issue related to pounding (loose wire in ignition system, low float level causing fuel to slosh, or some other issue).

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 20, 2009 - 11:33 AM

wow, you have all the upgrades already. Maybe a problem with float needle like you said

Update: have you checked your gas cap vent? I just remembered that when I went to jawbone canyon last, my vent cap got plugged and was not letting air into the tank causing the carb to not get enough fuel. Just a thought.

Yes, that was the first thing I checked. I pulled it off and blew through it. Thank you for the ideas. It is frustrating.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 20, 2009 - 11:35 AM

If it is only doing it in whoops, try hitting them in a gear higher and see if it doesn't do it quite as bad. If so, then it is the rev limiter, if it doesn't then it could be an actual mechanical issue related to pounding (loose wire in ignition system, low float level causing fuel to slosh, or some other issue).

We are on the same page! I appreciate you response!:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.