Building A Moto-x Hauler Out Of A Stripped Down Camper Frame

26 replies to this topic
  • jesus freek

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:38 PM

Anybody ever do it? Did you have success? If so post your pics pleeze. My bro-in-law thinks its possible to do it and be FRUGAL. I personally think it will be heavy and no car is gonna pull it without problems. IMHO I say buy the HF trailer, put it together,and be done. If he reads this he'll have a better idea going in.
Thx all!

• Chickenhauler

Posted January 19, 2009 - 11:12 PM

Anybody ever do it? Did you have success? If so post your pics pleeze. My bro-in-law thinks its possible to do it and be FRUGAL. I personally think it will be heavy and no car is gonna pull it without problems. IMHO I say buy the HF trailer, put it together,and be done. If he reads this he'll have a better idea going in.
Thx all!

Talked about just a bit ago, actually http://www.thumperta...r frame trailer

• lucky_logger6

Posted January 20, 2009 - 08:50 AM

Thx all!

I have a HF trailer and think its great but it was far from putting it together and being done. I built wheel chocks, sides, replaced some key bolts with quality ones and welded some joints to stiffen up the frame. I also removed 1 or 2 of the leaf springs from the pack to give it a decent ride as the spring packs are stiff as hell. These are just the things that come to me right now.

If you can get the camper for free of cheep and don’t mind the extra work you can come out with a custom trailer that is exactly what you want. If the trailer has anything less than 12” wheels on it that would be a big draw back.

• Smacaroni

Posted January 20, 2009 - 10:48 AM

I'm the guy who started the previously referenced thread. It can be done, it's worth doing, IMHO, but I also don't need it for at least three months, so I've been looking at everything. I may go with a stripped pop-up, I may not, it depends on if the amount of money I'll save is worth the effort I'm going to put into it, wheel chocks, tie down points (probably need to do this no matter what). I wouldn't worry about side rails-some people want this.
Now's a great time to get summer use stuff cheap, regardless of what it is.

• dfcfu342

Posted January 20, 2009 - 12:40 PM

I would imagine that it would be a pain to register a "home made" trailer. I don't know how they would determine whether it was road-worthy or not. :thumbsup:

• Smacaroni

Posted January 21, 2009 - 04:51 AM

In PA, you fill out a form, pay up, they hand you a plate and registration card.
Kinda scary in a way, but most people who shouldn't build a trailer are too scared to attempt it.
I worry more about people in 4WDs when it snows than people who build a trailer. 'Round here, people think 4WD have some huge advantage in the snow over regular cars, until they take a turn too fast and end up in a ditch or can't stop and total some poor sap's Carolla.

• jesus freek

Posted January 21, 2009 - 05:47 AM

Thx for the input guys,I know he watching. He is not a member yet,in due time. Chicken hauler my bad I should have searched it better.

• Jbeaz

Posted January 21, 2009 - 06:40 AM

I took a PWC trailer and converted it to a 3 place bike hauler. It came out really nice, I will have to take a picture one of these days and post it up.

I got the trailer free from a marina (it didn't have a title and I am the owners sons godfather so that always helps). My dad runs a steel center so I got all the metal at cost. A friend of mine runs a sheet metal fab shop and he was able to fab the bike rails, fenders and powerder coat everything black, including the frame. I also found a set of 14" 100 spoke rims for free so it made the trailer look different. all said and done I think i paid around 100 for material and I can't remember what it cost to file for a lost title.

I usually have 2 450's and a 125 on it or 2 450's and 2 50's and it works perfect.

• jesus freek

Posted January 21, 2009 - 07:01 AM

I took a PWC trailer and converted it to a 3 place bike hauler. It came out really nice, I will have to take a picture one of these days and post it up.

I got the trailer free from a marina (it didn't have a title and I am the owners sons godfather so that always helps). My dad runs a steel center so I got all the metal at cost. A friend of mine runs a sheet metal fab shop and he was able to fab the bike rails, fenders and powerder coat everything black, including the frame. I also found a set of 14" 100 spoke rims for free so it made the trailer look different. all said and done I think i paid around 100 for material and I can't remember what it cost to file for a lost title.

I usually have 2 450's and a 125 on it or 2 450's and 2 50's and it works perfect.

I cant wait to see the pics. My neighbor had a single pwc trailer in her back yard. She commutes from her moms house to her house every couple days to retreive her mail. I havent seen her in a while nor have I seen the trailer. Next time I see her I will find out if she has it tucked away in the garage. With a little work I think that would make a decent trailer. Still saving my pennies for the HF though.:thumbsup:

• Jbeaz

Posted January 21, 2009 - 09:00 AM

Here we go, first attempt at posting a picture. This is from early this summer before it was completed. The fenders were fab'd after this picture and the lights were relocated to the back of the fenders. Also, the tie downs were moved so that the bikes were more stable and now only need the straps on the handle bars holding them down.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jesus freek

Posted January 21, 2009 - 07:00 PM

S W E E T R I M S ! ! :banana: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• dieselfool

Posted January 21, 2009 - 07:18 PM

I just picked up an old pop-up tent trailer for $100. Around here you have to look pretty darn hard to find even a beat up old box traler for under $400-$500. The previous owner built a box on it using old 2x6 for the frame and walls and 3/4" ply for the floor. It's heavy as hell and I can hardly pick the tounge up. Going to strip it and put 3 bike rails. It's about 7'x9'. I hope some of you can post some pics. I'm hoping to not have to move the axel forward to lessen the tounge weight. It'll be used to haul 2 XR650's and a 450. Any ideas? Thx.

• livetoride21

Posted January 23, 2009 - 01:18 PM

i made one last year out of a 1976 coleman tent trailer. left the sides on, installed some hooks for tie downs and wheel guides and cut a tail gate hole in the back. works amazing. isnt the prettiest or best looking, but tows easy with my 95 626 v6, and is rly practical.

• jesus freek

Posted January 23, 2009 - 06:53 PM

Well I went ahead and did it!!:banana: :lol: :lol: I found one and bought it!! I was on the old Craigs List Wed.nite and found a camper trailer turned into a utility trailer. You'll never guess the price.
Posted Image

• jesus freek

Posted January 23, 2009 - 06:55 PM

pic 2
Posted Image

• jesus freek

Posted January 23, 2009 - 07:10 PM

Oh yeah $75.00!!:lol: :lol: He threw in 2 spare tires and a 1 7/8 ball. Shamefull I didnt have one. The kicker in all this this guy was 1 street over from mine. SMALL WORLD! Let me know what you guys think, Im tough and can take some hits! :lol: On a side note it does need lights and a good cleaning, it was buried in his back yard. This will be a good little project. It is light, I can move it around myself with no probs. It is a old pop up frame. I still feel I will have less into this than I would have into the HF trailer. :banana:

• jesus freek

Posted January 23, 2009 - 07:21 PM

ok heres the the side
Posted Image

• fixerman

Posted January 24, 2009 - 02:26 AM

how much did he pay you to take it??? :banana: seriously though , you got a lot of work on your hands.

fm

• Chickenhauler

Posted January 25, 2009 - 01:12 AM

The frame looks plenty beefy!

Here's what I would do-peel that plywood off, scuff up the frame with a wire wheel and apply some Rustoleum convertor and a couple coats of good oil-based Rustoleum gloss black, apply some fresh 3/4" treated plywood using some good galvanized dipped carriage bolts, adorn it with a lighting kit from your local auto parts store (one of those plug-n-play boat ones), put some fenders on it and a couple wheel chocks and tie down rings and let'er'rip!

• tt500blaster

Posted January 25, 2009 - 05:53 AM

Posted Image
i picked up this little trailer on craigslist for $ 50.00

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.