Slip-on or Endcap/ spark arrestor: Pros/Cons

6 replies to this topic
  • lftdjeep426

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:43 AM

I'm trying to determine off I should spend $150 on an end cap for my stock muffler or buy a slip-on. I haven't convinced myself that the extra $150 for the slip-on will give me enough added power/ weight saving to offset the cost.

Recomendations?

:thumbsup:

• Flosi77

Posted January 19, 2009 - 10:23 AM

Yeah thats a tought choice. Either way you plug up a good exhaust but to spend 150 to plug up a stock exhaust is a little much. I'd go big and get a nice exhaust with a sparky in that you can remove.

My buddy just did that with his suzuki but he got a yosi full race system with the spark arrestor

• davcon

Posted January 19, 2009 - 10:34 AM

I went with the end cap, didnt notice a performance change. But I'm just a trail rider and coming off a wr250 my yz450 is plenty for me to handle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stroker06

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:33 PM

I had this same dilemma. :thumbsup: I finally decided to save some money and just get the end cap. For one reason I have heard that a slip-on only changes the sound level and the power slightly.
Even if you went with a full exhaust, I have also found out by friends that it only moves the power to a different area of the powerband. So you can chose if you need more top or bottom end or even more mid range.
You can probably better spend your money on suspension upgrades if you're looking to go faster. However if you just need to be legal for the woods, like me, an end cap will work fine. Just be prepared to expect a different exhaust note, typically louder.

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:35 PM

I had this same dilemma. :thumbsup: I finally decided to save some money and just get the end cap. For one reason I have heard that a slip-on only changes the sound level and the power slightly.
Even if you went with a full exhaust, I have also found out by friends that it only moves the power to a different area of the powerband. So you can chose if you need more top or bottom end or even more mid range.
You can probably better spend your money on suspension upgrades if you're looking to go faster. However if you just need to be legal for the woods, like me, an end cap will work fine. Just be prepared to expect a different exhaust note, typically louder.

I 2nd this.

• B_DRZ

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:26 PM

I didnt notice crap when I changed my end cap, plus the spark arrestor is removable on most( i have pmb) , so really there should be no change.

• Nitrox

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:46 PM

I just did the PMB also and other than being just a bit louder, I haven't noticed any change in power. I pretty much ride track only but wanted to have the option of being legal if I had the chance to ride on a trail. I paid around 90 bucks for it and maybe 20 bucks for the moose re-packing material.

cb

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

• Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

• 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.