Any old/slow guys riding the WR450F?

101 replies to this topic
  • NMNORGE

Posted May 10, 2009 - 10:08 AM

I turned 50 this past year and ride a 05 wr450f with a few mod's +pipe etc.
love the bike, it's more capable then me and I'm a little on the slow side, but I just make up for it by going farther. Rode my first race last month the Desert 100 in Odessa, Wa , did the 1 loop 50 miler and had a great time.
I maybe slowing down but I don't plan on getting off it anytime soon.:excuseme:

I'm 49 and still trying to adust to my 05 WR450. I bought it for the e-start, but I'm really missing my XR400 that I sold. The WR has a really hard seat and seems harsh when just trail biking...going slow. The bike behaves great when you get after it attacking whoops, etc. I have only 3 hrs saddle time, but before I spend any money on GUTS seat, bar risers...I want to make sure I'm keeping the bike.

• ep87

Posted May 10, 2009 - 03:37 PM

I'm 49 and still trying to adust to my 05 WR450. I bought it for the e-start, but I'm really missing my XR400 that I sold. The WR has a really hard seat and seems harsh when just trail biking...going slow. The bike behaves great when you get after it attacking whoops, etc. I have only 3 hrs saddle time, but before I spend any money on GUTS seat, bar risers...I want to make sure I'm keeping the bike.

I know what you mean, the bike I had before the WR was a TTR250 with a much plusher and wider seat, it was like sitting in a Cadillac compared to the narrow WR seat and took some getting use to. It was one of the trade offs that I made for the more capable WR, I've never ridden a XR but I'm sure it was probably more capable then my old TTR, but I would think your WR might be a step up, and the magic starter button is sure nice.

I think when you have a little more seat time. no pun intended. you'll be happy.:excuseme:

• sarkmych

Posted May 19, 2009 - 07:26 AM

I am 42, weigh about 200 lbs dry and only been riding for about 3 years now. I own a 03 WR450 soon to be DS'd and a 07 WR450 and I absolutely love them!!! More than enough power for anything you will need them for. The beauty thing is the wide ratio gearing which is so smooth you only get "explosive" power when you want it. Where I live our laws specify lights, F&R, spark arrestor, etc, for all off-road use so its a gimme..

• kawi380

Posted May 19, 2009 - 11:08 AM

I am not old, but love my 08wr450! The WR is the best all around bike I have ever owned. I race desert, go to moab, put around town..good for everything but MX. btw, my dad is 57, rides kx500s and still wishes they had more power.

• Mike Cramer

Posted June 20, 2011 - 07:52 AM

I'm 57 years young. Just picked up an 07 WR450. The motor is extremely smooth and controlable at any speed and the suspension is great in the tight stuff. I weigh 240 but the bike handles great. The bike has all of the free mods and it lugs down low and rips when you want it to. I've been riding a Husky TE510 and a DRZ400E for the past several years. So far, my only complaint is that the WR seemed a bit cramped. I am hoping to find some bar risers that can also move forward a bit ......to suit my taste.

I also have a plated XR250R, if you fit on that, You would love one of the aluminum framed WR450's.

• RockyMtnScotsman

Posted June 20, 2011 - 08:59 AM

48 and returning to off road riding after a 30 year pause. I looked at a lot of different bikes KTM's EXC line, Husky's TE, Suzuki's DRZ, and almost bought a Kawi KLX450 before buying my 06 WR. I've done the "free mods" and love it to pieces - wouldn't trade it for anything else that I've ridden. I'm often the slowest in my group of similar aged riders but already picking up the pace some. I'll never ride to the full capabilities of the bike and that's OK with me - it'll tractor when I want and rip when I'm up to it. Maintenance is simple. Aftermarket is plentiful. For now I even like the "soft" suspension. My next step is getting it plated.

What's not to love ?

• RockyMtnScotsman

Posted June 20, 2011 - 09:02 AM

So far, my only complaint is that the WR seemed a bit cramped. I am hoping to find some bar risers that can also move forward a bit ......to suit my taste.

I'm 6'1" and this was a concern for me too. I installed Rox pivoting risers this weekend to raise the bars ~2" and push them forward ~1" ... night / day difference in more comfort both seated and standing. You might want to rotate the clutch and front brake perches forward just a tad afterwards too.

• jonooffler

Posted June 20, 2011 - 10:20 PM

47 this year and what ever way you ride the WR450 fast or slow you will love it.
I had a a XR250 a long way back and loved it and you will love the WR450 ,it's the best bike I have had.
Jono
2004 WR450

• teamtree

Posted June 22, 2011 - 02:45 PM

54 and upgraded from 00 WR 400 to 08 Wr450 and it's GREAT!
I also will never admit to being old! Slow maybe but never old.

• panda38

Posted June 23, 2011 - 06:21 AM

I'm 53, 170# ride 07 wr450 and wouldn't want smaller. My neighbor is 72 and downsized to a Husaberg 450 this year. I will use that as my size guide

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted June 23, 2011 - 02:03 PM

You guys do know this question was asked 2 years ago right?

• NMNORGE

Posted June 23, 2011 - 03:44 PM

You guys do know this question was asked 2 years ago right?

So? The question still applies today old man...2 years is nothing. :thumbsup: Don't make me start telling Kawasaki BushWacker stories from the 70's.....

• maddshaggy

Posted June 23, 2011 - 05:40 PM

I'm 61, riding some of the single track here in Southern Vt.

• bbainutah

Posted June 25, 2011 - 09:47 AM

I'm 45 and have slowed WAY down, but my 05 wr450 is the best bike I've ever had! Do all the free mods right away, don't do it little by little. You will have all the power you should ever need. Be sure to check into a JD jetting kit, you won't regret it. This bike will lug down to a crawl, and then lite your hair on fire in a second if you need it to. I ride a lot of trails and technical climbs and it just flat rules.... BUY IT BUY IT BUT IT!!!
BBA

• bbainutah

Posted June 25, 2011 - 09:50 AM

OOPs, oh well its still fun to talk up my bike. Besides I've been away for a long time, and I'm just getting back in, so chill!

• duggram

Posted June 25, 2011 - 02:18 PM

Don't make me start telling Kawasaki BushWacker stories from the 70's.....

Hey, I can tell stories about Pursangs from the 60's. I ride a WR450 now.

BTW where you at? I'm in ABQ and looking for other riders (I'm new here). If you know of anyone let me know would ya?

• lump_tha_thump

Posted June 26, 2011 - 10:22 AM

I'm 60 and at present ride a crf150. It is fun but not very powerful. Perhaps a wr450 would be a nice upgrade. Last summer I had a chance to ride a Honda 450 mx bike. I felt that it was too high to get kick started, particularly if I stalled it in an off camber situation. Amazing power though.

I had never thought about an electric start dirt bike. A month ago my wife traded her first dirt bike a TTR125 mini bike for a big wheel with the electric start. How nice. Made me think, with an electric start the worst part of getting going could be avoided. I have 3 Yamaha 500 singles from the 70's. Sometimes they start right up and sometimes it is 10-20 kicks.

It probably isn't the place to ask but do all wr450's have an electric start? Any major differences with them. I saw that someone said that the 06 was a steel frame and later ones were aluminum.

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 24 and trail riding off road since about 36. I do some mountain biking. Mostly at our farm.

• NMNORGE

Posted June 26, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hey, I can tell stories about Pursangs from the 60's. I ride a WR450 now.

BTW where you at? I'm in ABQ and looking for other riders (I'm new here). If you know of anyone let me know would ya?

I'm south of Durango, CO. Just north of Aztec, NM. Don't know of any riders in the ALB area, but if you ever get the chance..go to Cloudcroft, NM there are endless trails and locals love to have the dirt bikers there. Cabins are cheap too.
:thumbsup:

• skigreen53

Posted June 27, 2011 - 03:08 PM

57 & lovin my 06 WR450. Goes slow as well as it rips!

• mcpga

Posted June 27, 2011 - 04:05 PM

48 here! 6' 200lbs. and my mostly stock '03 WR450 is perfect for me, it'll go slow or it'll rip! It's a good bike!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.