Any old/slow guys riding the WR450F?

101 replies to this topic
  • Icelandic_amateur

Posted February 07, 2009 - 09:45 PM

tat: trans america trail, a ride across the usa using mostly dirt roads, little roads, or no roads, sometimes old wagon trails.
http://www.transamtrail.com/

RIP: to tear it up, shred.

Thanks for your explanation!
I'm reading the TAT link that you submitted. This is new to me, I thought riding across America would only be considered a Chopper style tarmac (paved) style of travelling. I don't expect to travel this trail though, it seems somehow not exotic enough, would prefer travelling on a Minsk in Vietnam :)

• spidennis

Posted February 08, 2009 - 05:59 AM

we'd love to see some of your riding pics from "ICEland" ! now that's got to be an "exotic adventure" for sure, in a remote kind of way .... but hey, what do I know about iceland right?

• NMNORGE

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for your explanation!
I'm reading the TAT link that you submitted. This is new to me, I thought riding across America would only be considered a Chopper style tarmac (paved) style of travelling. I don't expect to travel this trail though, it seems somehow not exotic enough, would prefer travelling on a Minsk in Vietnam :)

49 and getting lazy...the only reason I gave up my XR400 was for the e-start and less weight of the WR450. Nice bike for trail and with a street legal plate you can connect Colorado trails with some paved roads. Come on out Mr Icelander! I can guide you through some fantastic Colorado riding. Dori Hjalmarsson.

• spidennis

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:25 AM

I plan on doing some colorado riding myself, it looks fantastic out there!

• calwestjeff

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:46 AM

I just got a 08 250f and opened up exaust,cut throttle stop and installed adjustable fuel screw. This bike is perfect for tight, technical woods riding and gets the front end off the ground plenty easy when needed. I love it! Not the bike for desert /sand riding. Not enough power, but thats not what I got it for. Old but not slow! Good luck on your decision.

• Icelandic_amateur

Posted February 08, 2009 - 07:17 PM

49 and getting lazy...the only reason I gave up my XR400 was for the e-start and less weight of the WR450. Nice bike for trail and with a street legal plate you can connect Colorado trails with some paved roads. Come on out Mr Icelander! I can guide you through some fantastic Colorado riding. Dori Hjalmarsson.

Sounds really tempting. I'm sure riding in Colorado must be awesome, but that will have to wait, I have a 1 year old daughter and now my wife tells me that there is another baby on the way, so I'm grounded at home for a while. (Having said that, I'm actually in Tasmanina now :) )

Dori Hjalmarsson, that sounds really Icelandic....
... btw. my name is Hannes Kristjansson.

• Icelandic_amateur

Posted February 08, 2009 - 07:43 PM

we'd love to see some of your riding pics from "ICEland" ! now that's got to be an "exotic adventure" for sure, in a remote kind of way .... but hey, what do I know about iceland right?

Hi
I'm a newbie when it comes to riding, bought a Thumpstar pitbike in 2006, then a GasGas trial bike in 2008 and now I just bought a WR 450; at least I have a few bikes now to choose frome.

I was thinking what might look "exotic" to you guys; then I thought I should try to show you guys some snow riding. - Again, I haven't really done that myself, these are not my pictures but as they are on Youtube it should be OK to refer to them:

First: This is in the north of Iceland (where I live). Few guys on enduro bikes are trying to go up icy hill, but one of them doesn't make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THhqw8BlSkA&eurl=http://kka.is/news/hjarnbrekka/

Second: This one is take later, now the guy manages to drive up the hill but his fellow doesn't.

One more: This one is taken on a small lake (Hafravatn), some guys playing on the ice.

Now for some summer riding (i.e. normal riding): This video (8.5 minutes long) contains some pictures/videos from a guy that crossed Iceland in one day, he did it in 15 hours on a TM enduro bike - all alone. (Some others have done it before, usually taking 3 days to do it, but then they are choosing other more difficult slopes, skipping almost all paved roads)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDH8wUHUog&eurl=http://www.motocross.is/2008/11/horn-i-horn-video/

• Sycamore

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:24 PM

Great vids of Iceland!

I have the WR and LOVE it but it does have a lot of bark of the bottom. For a smoother motor in a 450 I would choose a KTM450xcw, big money new though.

The KTM chasis is nice too, and the suspension is good but not as good IMO as the Yammie, and the yammie's chasis is sweet as well and handles awesome.

On the chasis, I HATE working on my WR, that big gumbo frame is in the way and cant imigine the KTM being as hard to work on.

If your looking for a smooth electric motor and likely an easier bike to work on go KTM. The new motor style isnt tested YET but I havent heard anything bad.

If you can get beyond the gumbo frame and big bark power off the bottom the yammie is one sweet ride. The suspension is the deal, handles great and has reliablity that ALL of my buddys swear by

• hillclimbguy

Posted February 09, 2009 - 12:36 AM

47 and can hold my own. I ride a 03wr450 plated. I sure like that low first gear. I prefer my 06 YZ450 over the WR. But I cant ride into town and get gas on the YZ.

• RPMMIKE

Posted February 09, 2009 - 06:51 PM

You can't go wrong with the 450.....:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • muzkaw37

Posted May 08, 2009 - 06:48 AM

I'm 41 about 250 lbs been riding for 20 years. Just bought a 06 wr450f bone stock paid 2700. Not even rode it. Tore my acl last week. I Love the very techical butt kick'n harescrambles. I cant wait to heal, so I can go ride the Wr450f.

• luckydog50

Posted May 08, 2009 - 07:28 AM

Your gonna love a WR. E-button, uncorked, perfect wheelie's, reliability and good handling. My '05 is the best all around bike I have owned. My '57 body is the worst its every been! If you get a 250 you'll always wonder if a 450 would have been more "fun". The one thing I just added is some extra seat foam for my lazy arse, much more comfort for the 150 mile Dual Sport rides I've been doing.

• WRC51

Posted May 08, 2009 - 10:25 AM

I will be 57 this year, and my 07 is my third WR. Had a 99 WR 400, a 01 426 this is by far the best of the best. I have only done the free mods. some fork and shock adjustments. I can easily go 50+ miles with out the bike beating me up, or letting me down. Anyway, you are only as old as you feel. I bet you would love it if you got one:thumbsup:

• jamiedneal77

Posted May 09, 2009 - 01:04 AM

I first rode my brothers 08 WR 450 just after Christmas. I am a VERY slow rider. Mostly putting around in second gear on tight trails. The WR is pretty much a do anything bike. For the slowpokes like me they offer great balance and for the much more aggressive they have enough motor to be super fast. I loved his so much that I am currently trying to work up a deal at my local Yamaha dealer and trade my orange bike (KTM 450) in on an 09 WR. The are truly wonderful machines. The seat sucks, but it does break in...

• cherrypicker7

Posted May 09, 2009 - 03:20 PM

I'm 63 and on an 07 WR250, with the free mods, a JD jet kit and a GYT end cap. I have also geared up the CS to a 14 from the 13, as to maintain highway speeds, I was wringing it out more than I was comfortable with. I recently went on a dual sport ride with guys in Tenn and they were on KTM 525s' and one DRZ 400. Off road the 250 gives up nothing and it will run all day at legal highway speeds. That being said I am considering a WR450 myself and it might be a big mistake. But everything else being even I don't regret picking up the WR250, it's not the R model either.

• ep87

Posted May 09, 2009 - 08:03 PM

I turned 50 this past year and ride a 05 wr450f with a few mod's +pipe etc.
love the bike, it's more capable then me and I'm a little on the slow side, but I just make up for it by going farther. Rode my first race last month the Desert 100 in Odessa, Wa , did the 1 loop 50 miler and had a great time.
I maybe slowing down but I don't plan on getting off it anytime soon.:excuseme:

• willy_fitz

Posted May 10, 2009 - 04:08 AM

At 56 I'm old enough to ride in the Fossil Class up here in the Great White North. I have quite a few farkles on my 08 WR450 including GPS. The main reason for running a GPS is for the northern Ontario runs to make sure I can get back to civilization. Up here when you are in the woods you are not at the top of the food chain and getting lost turns you into a meal for the bears.
That's why I like to ride with guys slower than me. I don't need to be fast to outrun the bears, just faster than the next guy.

• gdbarr1976

Posted May 10, 2009 - 05:49 AM

I'm 51 and ride a 08 yz450 that I have turned into a wr. It's got a wr ignition to run a serious headlight. Planning on soloing the Baja 1000 in nov. My dad just turned 80. He rides a ktm250. What qualifies as old?

• Summit Seeker

Posted May 10, 2009 - 06:46 AM

I am 52 years old and use every bit of power the WR 450 has to offer uncorked. So go back to bed all you 30-40 year olds.

• NMNORGE

Posted May 10, 2009 - 10:03 AM

I'm 51 and ride a 08 yz450 that I have turned into a wr. It's got a wr ignition to run a serious headlight. Planning on soloing the Baja 1000 in nov. My dad just turned 80. He rides a ktm250. What qualifies as old?

That is just cool, 80 years old and still riding. Back in the early 80's I rode with a ex WWII messenger. This guy had really bad arthritus and I had to hold the back of his KTM while he started it. Damn good rider, I could barely stay in his dust.:excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.