Any old/slow guys riding the WR450F?

101 replies to this topic
  • mdhill70

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:46 AM

rkwfxd1- I will be 50 in March and bought a 03 wr250 in 03 after a 18year absence from dirt riding. I previously came off a 71 TM 400 and a 83 CR 500. Basically had to relearn how to ride again with the new bike, and just love it. Just went to a 08 WR450 w/o mods and can say its safe but slower than the 250. (In the process of free mods now). I live in the central valley (Tracy) and would be more than happy to let you try both out if you are close to this area. I agree with all previous posts as to try it in stock form before uncorking. Let me know.-- Tbone.

• trailscout

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:29 PM

67 years old. slow and getting slower. wr426. great bike. blows my buddie's 06 exc into the weeds. when i get too feeble to kick'er over, guess i'll just stay on the porch :banana:

harold

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 26, 2009 - 06:37 PM

rkwfxd1- I will be 50 in March and bought a 03 wr250 in 03 after a 18year absence from dirt riding. I previously came off a 71 TM 400 and a 83 CR 500. Basically had to relearn how to ride again with the new bike, and just love it. Just went to a 08 WR450 w/o mods and can say its safe but slower than the 250. (In the process of free mods now). I live in the central valley (Tracy) and would be more than happy to let you try both out if you are close to this area. I agree with all previous posts as to try it in stock form before uncorking. Let me know.-- Tbone.

Thank you. That is a very generous offer and I would take you up on it and buy you lunch but I am down in So. Cal.

I am really starting to think I would be very happy with a WR, free mods, bark busters, and 52 tooth rear sprocket.

• MTrowbridge

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:26 PM

I'm 48 and not the fastest rider in the world. I had taken a 20 year hiatus from dirt bikes, and started riding again with my wife and kids.

The WR450 is a very good all-around trail bike. My son and I do family enduros and ride both in the Sierras and Nevada desert with friends.

I disagree with the person who said to leave the bike stock. Changing out the throttle stop and doing the other free mods makes it a better bike, and doesn't force you to go faster than you want. You'll just have more all-around control for tough spots (including the ability to go up steep sections in too high of a gear).

A couple of other modifications you may want to make:

1. Install a Boyeson Quick Shot Accelerator Pump. Pretty cheap, and it gives you a lot of low RPM throttle control.

2. Install a Boyeson Water Impeller Pump. The WR will sometimes boil over when ridden slow on hot days (a problem for those of us who don't generate much breeze over the radiators...). This simple part gives you 75% more coolant flow.

3. An aftermarket pipe makes a big difference, if the price is worth it for you. A good pipe (I like the FMF Q) keeps the bike quiet but gives better throttle response at both low and high RPM. Also increases throttle response, which is handy for us slow guys in tricky sections.

4. I weigh about 200, so I changed the front and rear springs. Made a big difference.

No matter what, enjoy yourself. The WR will be an amazing improvement over your old XR...

• kbike

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:47 AM

67 years old. slow and getting slower. wr426. great bike. blows my buddie's 06 exc into the weeds. when i get too feeble to kick'er over, guess i'll just stay on the porch :banana:

harold

Finally someone else over 60. When you get too feeble, get the magic button model. I'm 64 and have a 04 WR450f that I bought last summer. I'm sorry I didn't get something like this years ago. It's so much easier and more fun to ride than anything else I've owned. I have to compare this to old British iron and a KLR650, no comparison!

• SID013

Posted January 29, 2009 - 01:51 AM

47 years young & suffered from Peter Pan syndrome all my life. :-) I love my '06 450 & have spent heaps on getting it to go faster & handle better. Best thing about it is when I'm tired I can sit back & the bike just tractors along. :-)

• draver

Posted January 29, 2009 - 07:52 AM

I'll be 62 this year. 6' 00" 180 lbs. I work out at the gym 3 days a week and play golf 5 days a week.

I bought a 2005 WR450 in late 2004. I rode it without the mods once and was dissapointed in the power and throttle response. I used to ride a Yz490 and was a desert rat in So. Ca. riding at Glamis and Plaster City 3 weekends a month during the winter season. I raced Dist. 38 for two seasons, with the YZ, and the stock WR seemed slow in comparison.

I did all the mods, and this thing came to life. I think it could take the old 490 in a drag race now. I know it would be faster on a track or desert run. You can power lift the front end in 3rd gear with traction. It is very controlable though, no sudden power spikes, just a smooth pull from idle on up.

BUY THIS BIKE !!

I have a separate rear wheel with paddle I pieced together off of Ebay and added two teeth to raise the gear ratio. Perfect for the sand, and a 10 minute swapout.

I think I'll make a Glamis run in a week or two, thanks for the motivation.

I don't know if this will be my last bike, but I expect it to last another 5 years or so. It seems like there is nothing new that's better for my needs, and I might have to give up riding offroad, maybe when I'm over 70?

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted January 29, 2009 - 09:26 AM

I will be 63 in March. I have the distinction of being the first TT member to own a WR 450. I got it January 9th 2003 and am still riding it. I'm slow and old but I DO ENJOY RIDING. I have not had any major problems with the bike. I dualsported it and ride it to the riding areas and go pretty much everywhere on it. . I'd say "Go for it".
Jim

• webpilot5150

Posted January 30, 2009 - 02:48 PM

40 yoa this year, just sold my old suzuki dr-z400e and bought an '08 WR450 It is bone stock and I am going to leave it that way for now cept for the grey wire and throttle stop. Way excited to get to the hills.

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 30, 2009 - 05:18 PM

Please get back to us and let me know how you like it compared tot he drz. I would be looking real hard at a drz if they were still available new.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cameronarrow

Posted January 30, 2009 - 09:53 PM

1st - Don't sell the XR250. It is one of the planet's most reliable bikes. It needs almost no maintenance. It is done depreciating, and if you don't like the WR, you still have the XR. I wish I still had mine

Great bikes, but beware. I am 45. Started riding at 5. My WR450F is about bike #37. Mostly offroad or dualsport. My last bike was the WR250F. Before that an XR250R and many XRs and XLs before that.

The WRs are great, but compared to the XR, they are more race ready, they are not as reliable, will not last as long, are taller, have very hard seats, need more maintenance, and can leave you stranded with a coolant leak

That said, I dual sported the WR250. Great bike, but not enough power for the road, and you have to rev it to get the power therefore it wears quicker and needs more oil changes and valve adjustments.

The 450 I really like. It has plenty of low end power and makes slow speed riding easier. Do the free mods. The factory only corked the bike to pass sound and emission regulations. It is still very controllable with full power. But beware, it is a monster if you let it rip.

I wish I could lower it, soften it, and put the XR seat on it

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 31, 2009 - 04:47 AM

Yeah I love my seat and I have my little XR tuned and "moded" just right for me. I will not be selling it. My daughter will ride it. My other thought was to consider a KTM300 as I have heard nothing but praise about them. If I did that I would definitely want tot keep the XR so i have something to ride when I can't ride a red sticker bike. But right now I think I would really like the 450.

• cameronarrow

Posted January 31, 2009 - 08:02 AM

KTM seats are vinyl wrapped bricks. Makes the WR seat feel like a pillow

• SHMcMakin

Posted February 06, 2009 - 11:08 AM

I just bought the 09 WR450. I'm 45 and weigh about 200 pounds and I've been riding since I was 6. I didn't want to buy a bike that would limit what I wanted to do, so I figured on buying the 450. I'm still riding mine stock. I've been riding the trails and woops in the Las Padres National Forest but prefer the hills and wide open of Stoddard Wells. Even stock, the bike has a lot of power. So really, I find that the only limiting factor now, is me.:)
SM

• Rick_R

Posted February 06, 2009 - 12:15 PM

I'm 50, have a 07 WR450, love it. Just raced my first race as a "Magnum" and got 1st place in class. Desert M/C National.
Used to ride a YZ250F but I like the 450 much more, just a little heavier.

• vfr661

Posted February 06, 2009 - 01:24 PM

I am 40 and 5' 3" tall. I just bought a new to me 2000 WR400F and love it. I've riding street bike (98 Honda VFR800) for 4 years now. After getting a TTR-125E for my son to learn to ride, I also pick up a 2000 Honda XR200R for myself. About a month ago a friend let me ride his WR400 and TTR250, both very tall bike. After an afternoon riding on the WR400 I was hooked on the power, acceleration, and better suspension. Getting on and off the WR400 is a bit challenging at first but it's very doable.

• Seabass

Posted February 07, 2009 - 03:07 PM

Who ever says keep your XR 250 as a back up to an '07 WR 450 is smoking crack. The WR is nearly bullet proof and all you hafta do as far as manitenance is regular oil and filter changes. I'm 46 and hardly fast...and i love my WR.

BTW....I grew up riding an XR 250, fun bike but it's a dinosaur.

• Icelandic_amateur

Posted February 07, 2009 - 07:48 PM

so how much dirt can that r model handle? it's seems to be a good bike for adventure touring like on the tat. I have plans [COLOR="Red"]to ride tat style [/COLOR]all over the place and hit some enduros along the way. I was/am going to use my f model to do this but a if that r model can handle 70-100 mile enduros and be able to get around the country, then that might be just the bike for this!

btw, i'm about to get a 290 kit for my f model ......

Hi all.
I'm new to this website, 35 years old just bought a WR 450, 2005 - haven't really tried it yet, but will do in a month or so.

I'm learning a few things by reading those threads here, really good stuff.

Question: What is "to ride tat style"?

And anoter question: On this thread it has been mentioned that the 450WR will RIP. What does that mean; my only understanding of RIP is "rest in peace". - It that what is being referred to?

//Greetings
Hannes
Bikes in garage:
Thumpstar 110CC 2006 (one for me and one for my wife)
GAS GAS Trial 300 Txt (trial riding makes you learn how to ride a bike)
and now the WR450 - will be interesting.

• jffsnlsn

Posted February 07, 2009 - 08:36 PM

2 of my riding buds are on WR450's, & both lag behind my WR250

Just ride, baby!

• spidennis

Posted February 07, 2009 - 08:54 PM

Hi all.
Question: What is "to ride tat style"?

And anoter question: On this thread it has been mentioned that the 450WR will RIP. What does that mean;

tat: trans america trail, a ride across the usa using mostly dirt roads, little roads, or no roads, sometimes old wagon trails.
http://www.transamtrail.com/

RIP: to tear it up, shred.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.