Any old/slow guys riding the WR450F?

101 replies to this topic
  • JSanfilippo

Posted January 19, 2009 - 06:59 PM

I'm fat and slow and I couldn't be happier.

I'll nit pick about the bike if I go a while without riding it but once I'm out riding again she'll remind me what shes capable of.

Yeah the carb is a bitch to tune but you don't need to remove it to change out the main, pilot, and needle. You also don't need to remove it to do the o-ring mod or install an adjustable fuel screw but those are kind of complicated to do while the carb is still in the bike. Think "hand contortion".

• Tile Guy

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:20 PM

turning 46 this month, last time i rode was a three wheeler in like 89. now i ride an 08 wr 450 i've had it for about 10 months now, and just uncorked it. it is freaking awsome. GET ONE!

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:36 PM

I'm fat and slow and I couldn't be happier.

I'll nit pick about the bike if I go a while without riding it but once I'm out riding again she'll remind me what shes capable of.

Yeah the carb is a bitch to tune but you don't need to remove it to change out the main, pilot, and needle. You also don't need to remove it to do the o-ring mod or install an adjustable fuel screw but those are kind of complicated to do while the carb is still in the bike. Think "hand contortion".

Well I was just reading about the mods they did to the Joe Gibbs Endurocross YZ450 and noticed that they dropped the sub-frame and suspension 10mm each. I thought I might do the same to the sub-frame when I do the carb. I have short little legs and every little bit would help. I am guessing that pulling the entire sub-frame would make it easier to get to the carb.

• Morty

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'm thinking of buying a new WR450F. I know the bike will rip but Idon't.

My little XR250 is 'bout 10 years old now. Runs great but I am sick of the kick and I would love to have enough power to lift the front wheel over obsticles at 15-20 MPH (not going to happen on the two fiddy). I don't want "explosive" power.

I have been riding for 35+ years but in general I am a pretty slow desert trail rider. I like single track when I can find it. Most of the time I'm in 3rd gear doing 'bout 20 mph through the whoops or so as I have been down, been broken and still hurt from those injuries and will till I die. Besides, once we start going much faster the women and children get left behind.

Occasionally I like to blast the sand washes and I will let her rip when the terrain is smooth. When it is rough or whooped out I have to keep my speed down as the 250 just won't lift the front wheel at speed.

I am a Honda fan but I really like the reliability of the WR and the little features like Pro-Taper bars, Excell rims, wide foot pegs, electroic odometer.

Anyway, any old and slow riders like me on the WR450? How is it working for you? Ever over heat? Ever feel too 'explosive"? Ever feel too heavy in the tight stuff? Ever sorry you did not go with the 250?

The bike is actually quite easy to ride and it'll get yer blood pumping!

• yz-dwg

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:16 AM

you could get a used steely for cheap, I have seen them with the original tires and tons of mods for +/- $3000, easy to work on and just as good as the alumin. ones for us slow oldsters, I have an '06 with the free mods and the power is there when I need and its very tame when easy on the throttle, I get the front up when ever I need to but cant / wont ride a wheelie. I ride 40-50 miles every weekend from my backyard and have never had any problems with the bike, I love my 450 as my wife will atest...

• Zadok

Posted January 20, 2009 - 08:23 AM

You guys are KILLING me.....
Im currently on a WR250 R, and have thought
for awhile that I bought the wrong bike. I dont ride
it on the street anyway. I basically turned it into a
WR250F model. It just ended up costing me a lot more.

I swear, Im going to end up spending another 7k on
ANOTHER bike that I dont really "need".

Man, Im foaming at the mouth for an 09 WR450F though.
I think it might be time to just do it.

• spidennis

Posted January 20, 2009 - 09:11 AM

so how much dirt can that r model handle? it's seems to be a good bike for adventure touring like on the tat. I have plans to ride tat style all over the place and hit some enduros along the way. I was/am going to use my f model to do this but a if that r model can handle 70-100 mile enduros and be able to get around the country, then that might be just the bike for this!

btw, i'm about to get a 290 kit for my f model ......

• thumper tom

Posted January 20, 2009 - 09:39 AM

OK, I,m 50 now and still Try , The last bike I rode was a 1976 YAmaha IT400C, I had it for 20 Yrs, Then I bought this 06 WR 450, WOW, truly amazing power, I thought I was faster but then I rode with some real pros who ride in the Baja 1000, Those guys are FAST!, The point is we all had a blast that day, rode some 50 mi, they always stopped and waited, so all old farts , just go do it, have fun

Thumpertom

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 20, 2009 - 12:14 PM

you could get a used steely for cheap, I have seen them with the original tires and tons of mods for +/- $3000, easy to work on and just as good as the alumin. ones for us slow oldsters, I have an '06 with the free mods and the power is there when I need and its very tame when easy on the throttle, I get the front up when ever I need to but cant / wont ride a wheelie. I ride 40-50 miles every weekend from my backyard and have never had any problems with the bike, I love my 450 as my wife will atest...

You SUCK! You ride 40-50 miles a weekend from YOUR BACKYARD!? Dang I envy you. I DRIVE 40-50 miles to get HALFWAY to a riding spot.:thumbsup:

Anyway yes, I was looking at a couple of older 450s in the $3000-$3500 range. I am getting a LOT of overtime right now so I am hoping to stretch the finances to cover a new bike this year. Maybe near summer when dirt bike sales drop in So Cal.

• Zadok

Posted January 20, 2009 - 12:40 PM

so how much dirt can that r model handle? it's seems to be a good bike for adventure touring like on the tat. I have plans to ride tat style all over the place and hit some enduros along the way. I was/am going to use my f model to do this but a if that r model can handle 70-100 mile enduros and be able to get around the country, then that might be just the bike for this!

btw, i'm about to get a 290 kit for my f model ......

Top speed of the bike is really good for the road. Will do 70 EASILY
all day. Top speed would be somewhere around 90, depending on
what you do with gearing. The bike is also extremely stable on the
road and handles really well. Tire choice will obviously affect this
though. The bike is fairly low on power until you do some mods.
I personally have changed rear sprocket (from 43 to 49), FMF
exhaust, opened air box, added FMF Power Programmer (fuel tuner
for EFI), and removed some weight (passenger pegs, chain guard
etc etc). The bike actually pulls really hard for a 250 street legal
type bike. I just dont ride the bike on the street, so Im not sure
I wouldnt have been better off with an F model instead.
As for dirt capability, its pretty darn good. Again tire choice and
gearing make a big difference. I have yet to go into an area that
the bike was not able to handle. Big thing to remember when
riding the R model, is the rpm that the bike "needs" to be at for
optimal power. Ride the bike at about 8k to 10k rpm. This motor
is much different than the other dirt bikes you have been on. The
engine is based off the R1 motor, so the rpm range has seemingly
followed. The bike, in my opinion, really needs some suspension work
though. Its more set up for street riding with the expectation that
there may be a passenger on the bike. The rear rebound is WAY too
fast. I have it set to full rebound dampening, and I still find it is
too quick. Here are a couple pics of my bike as it is now. Again, off
road only for me. So I have removed turn signals, mirrors etc.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AK_WR450F

Posted January 20, 2009 - 04:05 PM

I'm 41 years young myself. My last bike was a '02 YZ426F w/mods galore. It actually scared me one day and I sold it. Now I miss it. I'm back on the mend to modifiying my '06 WR450F just enough to make me say ah perfect....
Free mods so far compared to stock it is for sure a keeper.
Ride it like you stole it!

Mark

• hollywoodnc2

Posted January 22, 2009 - 08:18 PM

I did all the free mods, drilled the baffle plates but left in the spark arrestor, rejetted(what a nightmare) went up on the countershaft sproket to a 15 tooth. Then I bought a baja designs kit, put 50/50 enduro tires and made it street legal(not easy to do in North Carolina) and I love it street I get a top speed around 95 it rips in the woods or I can "put around" all day with no worries! I'm 42 and with 14 previous broken bones so I find myself slowing down alot. I have had many street/dirt/racing/enduro bikes in the past and I can say it does it all well with great reliability. Get one and enjoy!!!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 22, 2009 - 08:52 PM

Im not "Old" but i love my wr...its great in the desert, baja and on the road (:banana:)...:lol:

• 88Blownstang

Posted January 23, 2009 - 07:15 AM

I'm 52, old but not too slow. The WR is a very versatile bike. Power when you need it but controllable. Do the mods, it really wakes up the bike without making it harder to ride.

• texas_hippie

Posted January 23, 2009 - 05:15 PM

54 years old, worn out from a military career. I bought the 06 with the steel frame. Installed the Gytr AIS removale kit, in about an hour. Loosen the in/out carb boots, rotate it in place about 45 degrees, and the supplied jet, was no problem to get to. Only other mod was a reusable Scott oil filter. The AIS removal kit also comes with a YZ throttle stop. (shorter) It'll jerk your arms out of the socket if you pin it, and wheelie for miles. It doesn't like to be lugged. I ride single track woods almost exclusively, and with judicious throttle inputs, and a little slipping the of the clutch from time to time, it's awesome in the woods. By the way, I weigh in at about 280. I can recommend a respring, and revalve, as the suspension is a little soft for us big boys. It's adequate in the woods, but at the track (which it definately ain't made for) it will bottom pretty bad if you like to double. All in all, I'd highly recommend it. Ride it without the mods first (it's kinda sissy, power wise), then uncork it with the removal kit if you want to fly! You can't beat the reliability of the valve train either.

• 2DTrail

Posted January 23, 2009 - 07:34 PM

Well I'm a Newb to TT and 52 yrs young. Just bought an 06 WR450f. Been riding since 10 yrs old, desert, mountains, street. My most recently dual sport an 02 KLR650 since new. Went riding with some buddies in the desert and that was it, had to shed about 140 lbs. Went right out and got the 450. Very happy after my first day out. Lots of power but very managable. I enjoy putting around (obviously with a KLR for 7 years!) and the WR is great for poking along or a much more spirited jaunt. Go for the 450.

• steve gregory

Posted January 25, 2009 - 01:10 PM

I just went from a wr250 to wr450 I love the power but it is alot heavier on the single track I am 52 & it is quite a work out!

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 25, 2009 - 05:50 PM

54 years old, worn out from a military career. I bought the 06 with the steel frame. Installed the Gytr AIS removale kit, in about an hour. Loosen the in/out carb boots, rotate it in place about 45 degrees, and the supplied jet, was no problem to get to. Only other mod was a reusable Scott oil filter. The AIS removal kit also comes with a YZ throttle stop. (shorter) It'll jerk your arms out of the socket if you pin it, and wheelie for miles. It doesn't like to be lugged. I ride single track woods almost exclusively, and with judicious throttle inputs, and a little slipping the of the clutch from time to time, it's awesome in the woods. By the way, I weigh in at about 280. I can recommend a respring, and revalve, as the suspension is a little soft for us big boys. It's adequate in the woods, but at the track (which it definately ain't made for) it will bottom pretty bad if you like to double. All in all, I'd highly recommend it. Ride it without the mods first (it's kinda sissy, power wise), then uncork it with the removal kit if you want to fly! You can't beat the reliability of the valve train either.

Hippie,
First of all...thank you for your service.

When you say it doesn't like to be lugged, can you be more specific? Is it an overheating issue?, Abrupt throttle issue?, Weight issue?

The rest of the bike sounds right for me. I am a big guy myself. I have had powerful bike (KX500) and am not concerned about too much power but I now ride with my kids most of the time and if they are having a bad day it can be pretty slow going.

Thanks

• texas_hippie

Posted January 25, 2009 - 06:21 PM

Most of my riding is single track Texas piney woods. Very tight stuff. I'm usually in first or second, with the odd burst into third and forth where the trail clears a bit in the sand washes. Just alot of noise from the top end when you lug the motor. It aparently hasn't harmed the bike in any way though. Even so, despite the clattering noise, if you find yourself in a bind, with no time to down shift, just roll in more throttle, and the torque is there to save you. As for overheating, not a problem. On a hundred degree day, doing a very technical rocky uphill, I did hear it gurgling once though. That was due to no forward motion, while off the bike helping it uphill by slipping the clutch. Once moving again, it cooled down quickly. The bike seems heavy to me, but that's because I rode a two smoke 250 for so many years. I miss my two stroke! It was a much better woods bike. Of course, I'm a geezer now, not in the best of shape stamina wise either. I can run off and leave the 250's when I want to, but it costs me at the end of the day. If you're in good shape, go with the 450. If you're just into having fun, at a reasonable pace, a lighter bike would be a good choice. I love my big bore, but my next "fun" bike will be a two stroke, possibly a KTM 300. I like the snap of the two stroke, because it seems more predictable than the 4 strokes. The 4 stroke 450 never falls off the top of the pipe...it just keeps on pulling like a damn rocket!
At the end of the day, my elbow joints ache from being pulled when I get the ocassional "whiskey throttle" syndrome. Geez...I can't believe I just said I'd own anything other than a Yammie... but if they build a bike more suited to us old guys that like riding with our kids, and wives, damn it, I'm gonna buy it. I'm too old to compete (broke some ribs last thanksgiving weekend), trying to go faster than the youngsters, so I'm trying to talk myself into slowing down a little. The WR likes to go fast though, and it sure does satisfy my youthful lust for adrenaline rushes.

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 26, 2009 - 02:44 AM

Thank you.

Mostly all I have ever ridden were four strokes so the weight and power are right up my alley. (I bought the KX500 because it's power was most like a four stroke) I enjoyed the KX500 but it was just took darn tall. Even the kick starter was too high off the ground for me to use it without a rock to stand on. Seemed every time I stopped I fell over. Additionally you can forget about riding with the wife and kids with that bike. I have tried a couple of two other strokes but did not like them. Additionally, here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia you can only ride a post 2002 two stroke for about half the year.

I have a buddy with multiple bikes, all four strokes except for a KTM 300. He loves it. If I were going premix that is the one I would get but I think I am going to set my sights on a new WR in my garage this summer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.