Bicycle Odometer Installed

28 replies to this topic
  • davcon

Posted January 19, 2009 - 07:36 AM

I really miss having an odometer since moving up to the YZ450 from my WR250. Not wanting to spend the big bucks on a Trailtech I thought I'd give this a shot. Bell 20 function bike computer, $9.95 at Target. Lot of cool features including a temp gauge. The toughest part was soldering in a length of double wire since the supplied wire was too short. The small main wire actually has two separate insulated wires inside.

Posted Image

It was setup to attach the magnet to spokes. I cut the magnet from their bolt setup and glued it to the rotor hole with JB. Near perfect fit.
Used leftover double sided tape from my hour meter install to attach the pickup. A little exposed to rocks and bushes but we'll see.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used a lot of electrical tape to marry the wire to the brake line.

Posted Image

• adaguy

Posted January 19, 2009 - 11:41 AM

How do you know the calibration is right? aka different size wheel

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:37 PM

Bicycle speedos can normally be calibrated for a wide range of wheel sizes, based on the rolling diameter of the tire.

• davcon

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:42 PM

How do you know the calibration is right? aka different size wheel

You enter the circumference (millimeters) in the unit. I came up with 28.5" diameter which calcs out to 2273 mm.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:54 PM

THATS COOL but how do u expect it to handle offroad and mudding condishions

• rider315

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:01 PM

Looks like it's well worth a shot! If nothing else, it would be great as a stop watch for training loops. Never had much luck with the Trailtech units. They seem to be pretty buggy.

Did you have to do anything special to mount the display to the bars?

- Chris www.rider315.com

• DMC707

Posted January 19, 2009 - 03:03 PM

I have one on a mountain bike that gets much dirtier than my motocross bike ever does. I will typically take the bicycle out on days that are too nasty to ride m'cycles --- it should hold up in theory --- i think the unit on my mtb was about 60 clams tho, and wireless --- but mtb's nowadays have more suspension travel than a DT250 and arguably get ridden harder too

• jrny426

Posted January 19, 2009 - 03:07 PM

A front Brake disc cover would be cheap insurance

• davcon

Posted January 19, 2009 - 03:08 PM

I went for a ride yesterday and it seemed fine. The instructions talk about mtn bike apps so i'd hope its fairly water resistant. I'd worry more about bushes snagging the wire but for the price i could replace it a few times.

Looks like it's well worth a shot! If nothing else, it would be great as a stop watch for training loops. Never had much luck with the Trailtech units. They seem to be pretty buggy.

Did you have to do anything special to mount the display to the bars?

- Chris www.rider315.com

It mounts with two zip ties. Pretty sano.

• davcon

Posted January 19, 2009 - 03:22 PM

A front Brake disc cover would be cheap insurance

Would it cover the pickup or ride between the pickup and the rotor?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted January 19, 2009 - 04:27 PM

amazingly well !
try looking on some wc dh racers and belive me they get atleast as much mud.
its not like they use i in there race run, but i know many people that use it in extreme conditions like myself.
:thumbsup:

great idea man

mine was around 30 bucks.
u can find some for 200

• TD-3

Posted January 19, 2009 - 07:08 PM

Awesome job :thumbsup:

I used one for a whole season with no issues. it was well worth the $10 I spent.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law spent $250 for the Vapor setup (with fancy mount) that never worked correctly :p I think he is on his 3rd unit :moon:

• mmcclain

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:36 PM

I did the same thing 11 years ago on my old DR350. This was before the Trailtech. At first I tried a wireless bicycle computer but they only transmit for about 2 feet and a dirt bike needs over 3 ft. Then I put on one with a wire that I ran in a long piece of clear plastic tubing to protect it. Worked great, but I spent several hours machining a mount from delrin to hold the transmitter to the fork leg. Your setup looks simpler and cleaner.
My d/s XR400 needs a speedometer, maybe I'll do one like yours.
Have fun, Mike

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:58 PM

I like it! great job:thumbsup:

• Birdy426

Posted January 20, 2009 - 12:03 AM

I used one for about 2 1/2 years on an RM465 before the vibes got to it. Worked great. For what it's worth, I read somewhere that the Trail Tech Endurance computer is really just a bicycle computer with a few more functions (like the maintenance reminder) added in the software. The basic unit was developed for touring bikes.

• matt4x4

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:45 AM

I set up the exact same thing a couple of years ago, worked well until I hit 70km/hr, then it would get all wonky - I presumed it just wasn't able to keep up since bicycles don't normally run speeds like that - so I put it on my wife's bike, she's a lot slower....

• yamaha racing 230

Posted January 20, 2009 - 01:00 PM

i might go get one this week is there a limit on how high the speedometer goes up to ? thanks

• DRSuzuki

Posted January 20, 2009 - 06:01 PM

nice! i did the same thing on my '81 KDX 250 to pass inspection. i mounted mine with zip ties. to yamaha racing i had a schwinn speedo and mine would stop working at anything over 60 mph. i dont know if its the same for his.

• doc427

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:28 PM

Very cool i think target might have a run on their bicycle speedos, i m going to try it

• doc427

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:30 PM

speedos as in speedometers not necessarily banana hammocks:banana: :thumbsup: .

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.