So! I'm going in! What should I need?

11 replies to this topic
  • MotoPhotog

Posted January 19, 2009 - 06:34 AM

So, I'm going to be paying a mechanic friend of mine, Faron, to do my exhaust cam swap to the hot cams on a yz426, but I'm wondering... while I'm in there, what all should I PROBABLY change? If he is already in that deep, should I replace head gasket, cam, cam chain?

Another friend of mine stated if he's going in, to have him just do a full piston, rings, cam/cam chain, but jesus you're talkin a 300 dollar project going over double that in no time. :thumbsup: Ok im rambling.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 19, 2009 - 06:38 AM

well your really not going in that deep at all by just doing a cam swap.. its just a matter of pulling off the valve cover and replacing the cams.

it all depends on your last rebuild. how many hours are on your piston and rings?..if it is time for that i would replace the pistion and rings and do a cam chain while your in there.

you dont have to do a head gasket unless its leaking.

• MotoPhotog

Posted January 19, 2009 - 06:42 AM

well your really not going in that deep at all by just doing a cam swap.. its just a matter of pulling off the valve cover and replacing the cams.

it all depends on your last rebuild. how many hours are on your piston and rings?..if it is time for that i would replace the pistion and rings and do a cam chain while your in there.

you dont have to do a head gasket unless its leaking.

bike runs like a champ. Sounds great, and honestly, i have NO CLUE how many hours are on the motor. I've only owned the bike a month, and the previous owner had the bike in for a valve adjustment and new tires before I bought it. I'm going to make sure they're all in spec though, of coarse.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 19, 2009 - 06:45 AM

bike runs like a champ. Sounds great, and honestly, i have NO CLUE how many hours are on the motor. I've only owned the bike a month, and the previous owner had the bike in for a valve adjustment and new tires before I bought it. I'm going to make sure they're all in spec though, of coarse.

well what i would do just because you are the 2nd owner or 3rd,i would just do a piston rings and replace the timming chain just to be on the safe side. then just get a topend gasket kit.

it shouldent run you over $200 for all of that.

• MotoPhotog

Posted January 19, 2009 - 07:26 AM

well what i would do just because you are the 2nd owner or 3rd,i would just do a piston rings and replace the timming chain just to be on the safe side. then just get a topend gasket kit.

it shouldent run you over $200 for all of that.

About 150 for piston/rings, 40 for cam chain, 140 for exhaust cam, (3hrs) 150 labor...$500 bucks.

Thanks for the input tho

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:09 AM

About 150 for piston/rings, 40 for cam chain, 140 for exhaust cam, (3hrs) 150 labor...$500 bucks.

Thanks for the input tho

i was just talking about the piston and rings and camchain being uder 200 witch it is at 190.. and it really shouldent take 3 hrs to do a cam. it should be under 30 min.

why dont you try doing this your self, if you read the book its not hard at all. im sure a lot of people here would be willing to help you out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoPhotog

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:16 AM

with my luck, i'd fire it up and it would go......."clink, clank, KABOOM!"

• Wiz636

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:03 AM

Definitely replace the cam chain. Do you have something to plug the hole in the head once you remove the compression release mechanism? The TT store used to sell a nice billet plug but I don't think they stock them anymore, or you can use a freeze plug but I don't recall the size...it will be in the sticky thread regarding the cam swap however.

• tnl

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:32 AM

The TT store used to sell a nice billet plug but I don't think they stock them anymore, or you can use a freeze plug but I don't recall the size

Sounds like $ is an issue here? Go to Napa and spend under $1 for one. Take the existing cap off and bring it in to Napa and size it up. PM me if they/you can't find the size and I'll look mine up or call napa for you. Also, a cam swap is really easy to do.

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:12 PM

... you can use a freeze plug but I don't recall the size...

18mm.

If it runs good, why not just do the cam swap for now? With the chain replacement, it will only take 2 hours, tops, including resizing the exhaust cam shims for the new cam.

You also do not have to remove the decompression lever/shaft from the head. If you leave the return spring at the head, you can simply leave the shaft in place and remove the cable and bar lever. You can also make a plug out of the old shaft by cutting the half round extension off the inside end, and cutting the lever off at the weld on the outside. It has to be long enough to extend through the existing seal.

• MotoPhotog

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will do. Just gonna go with those two things for the time being.

• pscook

Posted January 20, 2009 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will do. Just gonna go with those two things for the time being.

Let me know when you want to go with the full meal deal and I will free up some time to hook you up. I have valve stem seals if you want them, PM me with your mailing address and I will send them off to you. I doubt that you want to change them now, but you can have them to keep on hand (because I'm just going to lose them). What year is yours so that I can confirm compatibility?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.