Time for new chain

9 replies to this topic
  • fordman

Posted January 18, 2009 - 10:04 PM

Hey yall its about time i spent some money on my wr450. Iam looking at getting new sprokets and chain. I need a new chain and was wanting some more low end power for wheeles and stuff like that but i dont know how far to go. Iam not worried about loseing top speed because I will never go as fast as the bike can stock. How many teeth should i lose? And what kinda change will i see in the bike?
thanks for all the help you guys are awesome

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 18, 2009 - 10:40 PM

That bike has a 14t countershaft sprocket stock. Going to a 13t c/s is like adding three to the back (50 to 53). This will increase pull in the bottom end pretty significantly but you'll be shifting more because it tightens the ratios up.

On 2nd gear singletrack it could very well bring 3rd into play, make second too low, and make 1st useless. Going down 1 tooth on the front is popular with high elevation riders based on what I've read here.

• KennyMc

Posted January 18, 2009 - 11:13 PM

That bike has a 14t countershaft sprocket stock. Going to a 13t c/s is like adding three to the back (50 to 53). This will increase pull in the bottom end pretty significantly but you'll be shifting more because it tightens the ratios up.

On 2nd gear singletrack it could very well bring 3rd into play, make second too low, and make 1st useless. Going down 1 tooth on the front is popular with high elevation riders based on what I've read here.

Did they change the gearing over the years? My 07 came with a 13t counter and 50t rear sprocket.

• DS-WR450F

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:56 AM

04' came with 14/50. I am running 13/51, and love it. First is rarely used, unless it is really technical, and I can still get up over 70 no problem.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:37 PM

Did they change the gearing over the years? My 07 came with a 13t counter and 50t rear sprocket.

Yeah Ken in '07 they fanangled the reduction ratio in the trans. A 13t on the front of the '07 gives the same overall gearing as the 14t did on earlier bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fordman

Posted January 19, 2009 - 04:33 PM

Ds was there a big defference between the stock and the 13/51? 70 if the fastest i have got the bike up to and that is defentaly fast enough for me I just want some more torque in the bottom seems like the bike should have more anyways but I dont know

• dl19

Posted January 19, 2009 - 06:23 PM

If it is too fast for you stock then dropping a tooth on the front would be perfect. I rode with some guys outside Phoenix last year, and thought I should drop my front one. I did not and should have because I seldom was in third for very long. But around here it gives up way too much on the top end.

• DS-WR450F

Posted January 19, 2009 - 07:02 PM

Ds was there a big defference between the stock and the 13/51? 70 if the fastest i have got the bike up to and that is defentaly fast enough for me I just want some more torque in the bottom seems like the bike should have more anyways but I dont know

I actually bought mine with the 13/51. I purchased a 14t countershaft sprocket, but haven't tried it yet. The 13/51 is perfect for singletrack. The thing pulls like a tractor in first, and will still keep up with anything on the fire roads. It runs around 7800 rpm @ 65mph

• fordman

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:09 PM

its not that its too fast i just dont ride fast i like more of the single track stuff and its kinda hard to get the front up exactly when i need it to i dont know maybe iam just doing something wrong

• kjr247

Posted January 20, 2009 - 03:55 AM

I went one tooth down in the front. Back east, I felt 2nd was not tall enough and it did bring 3rd gear into play. I like it. My brother prefers the stock...go figure. I guess you could pick up both stock and one down and change it if you do not like it. The fronts are pretty inexpensive. I guess it depends on where you ride.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.