'06 rebuild sound off

5 replies to this topic
  • Hurricane78

Posted January 18, 2009 - 09:18 PM

I am rebuilding my cylinder head and just had questions on valves. I am looking at kibble white vs. Stock yamaha. I was wondering if anybody has been running the kibble whites and what does anyone recommend.

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:00 AM

Some people start out to use KW's because they appear to cost less, but the fact is that in order to use them, you also have to install their spring kit, because the stainless valves are nearly twice as heavy as the Ti.

OEM Yamaha valves are as durable as anything made IF the seats are correctly prepared and the guides are in good condition.

• Hurricane78

Posted January 20, 2009 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for replying grey. I was hoping that you would you are a smart guy. The reason I am thinking KW is I bought a head off of ebay that has the full KW set valves and springs already in it. Specifically my question is more accuratly stated will I have any problems running SS valves instead of Titanium? What would be the pros and cons. of the SS?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kasjok

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:00 AM

I have understood it like this: as long as titanium valves keep their hard coating on - the clearances won`t budge. However, when the coating is gone you will have to re-shim very often. Using SS valves you are somewhere between those extremes. Meaning that you might need to re-shim some of the valves every now and then.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:41 AM

I don't know of many people who have run KW's in a YZF, but they have been around for a long time, and have a decent reputation.

There are two options when you are making valves out of stainless: harden the faces, or coat them like Ti valves. If the valves are coated, there's not much difference in the wear character between that and Ti, which is to say they should run for a long time without perceptible wear, then suddenly sink. How long that takes depends on how good the coating is. Hardening is more traditional, more expensive, but has the advantage of being a deeper treatment, so that one or two valve adjustments doesn't mean the end is near.

• Hurricane78

Posted January 20, 2009 - 09:19 PM

Thanks guys. I guess I just need to find out what valves I have in the new head I bought and make my decision based off of that. I appreciate your advice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.