02 WR426 Stalling when pulling in the clutch, Weird

4 replies to this topic
  • Vector12

Posted January 18, 2009 - 08:15 PM

I'm working on a bike that's not been run for a couple of years. I've gone through the bike, carb clean, valves, plug, new fluids etc.

It's cold here (40deg F during the day), I never can get it to start on the first kick, but 99% on the 2nd one(so I guess it's not my worst problem) :thumbsup: . I let the bike run in Neutral for 20-30 sec with the choke on, then push it off. Bike idles nice, and throttle response is very crisp and WR like.

When I pull in the clutch lever, it stalls. It's almost like it's an ignition cutoff switch. If I rev up the bike to about 50%, I can get it into gear and get it moving, but if I let the idle go down, and pull in the clutch, it will DIE.

For giggles, I tried this with the kick stand up and down, I have no wires there, but checked to see if the bike had a stand cutoff.

I've checked to see if the clutch cable moves any wires, or moves any ignition wires, everything looks OK. I haven't pulled off any covers to see if I'm rubbing a wire anywhere. Also the clutch doesn't have any wires connected to it at the perch, so I don't think it's any safety device.

I haven't run any tests yet with an ohm meter to check the ignition system yet, but I scratching my head as to why pulling in the clutch in stalls the bike. Bike has a Baja kit, so I'll start trouble shooting there at the light switch, and it's next to the clutch perch, hmmm(thinking out loud).

The bike sure likes to wheelie, I can't wait to get some serious time with it in the dirt.

Ideas?

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted January 18, 2009 - 08:25 PM

the only thing i can think of is it is pulling the compression release as well somehow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bdruff

Posted March 01, 2009 - 08:41 AM

I agree with True_2. I had the same problem. It happened twice, once it was when I pulled in the clutch, the other was when I turned right. Both times it was pulling the decomp lever. I just moved it on the perch and it cleared it up.

• Birdy426

Posted March 01, 2009 - 10:21 PM

If the bike has been sitting for a while, the clutch plates may be stuck together so the clutch doesn't release.

• Vector12

Posted March 02, 2009 - 09:40 AM

I should of posted this a while back, I found the problem, almost an embarrassing problem.

I have my controls by the clutch lever, headlight, signals, horn, and KILLSWITCH. the killswitch lever in on top of the control, when I pulled in the clutch, it hit the lever.

Slight rotation of the control solved my troubles.:p

I did do an adjustment to the compression system per recommendations above(can't hurt), it was out of spec. Then I saw the kill switch being hit by the clutch lever.

You guys ROCK

Thnaks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.