yz450 power problems

21 replies to this topic
  • kfugate

Posted January 18, 2009 - 07:37 PM

so i just went out and got a 08 yz450f, the only problem is the power. i switched from a 06 crf450 and the yz's stock power just doesn't match up. i keep reading about switching out the exhaust to get more power, but is there anything anyone knows about that doesn't involve doing that?

• PAdaytonaman

Posted January 19, 2009 - 06:09 AM

2 simple things to bring it back up to snuff,

Aftermarket silencer and boyesen x wing and its right back to where you want to be.

• intensem1rider

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:54 AM

Put on a 07 or 06 silencer?

• yzfjbw323

Posted January 19, 2009 - 10:57 AM

I have a friend who took out a couple of the cones inside the muffler, After that it seemed to run as good or better than my 07.

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:34 PM

The exhaust is a fix. The X-Wing is a fishing lure for gullible buyers, IMO. Does nothing useful.

• PAdaytonaman

Posted January 19, 2009 - 05:05 PM

No offense, but, have you tried one. Believe it or not it works. I have 2 very fast, very loyal yamaha, long term racer friends, and they dont use stuff that doesnt work, and it works.

Try it and give us a report.

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2009 - 05:27 PM

It's only my opinion. Pay no attention if you wish.

Posted Image

• PAdaytonaman

Posted January 19, 2009 - 05:29 PM

where do you come up with these zingers,

Quick, Very Quick

• LEMMON1

Posted January 19, 2009 - 07:14 PM

that is sum funny shit lol...

but anyway, kfugate, how much better turnin is the 08 than the 06?

• B_DRZ

Posted January 19, 2009 - 07:21 PM

2 simple things to bring it back up to snuff,

Aftermarket silencer and boyesen x wing and its right back to where you want to be.

I would like to see a dyno test of that crap, those tornado fuel saver paperweights do nothing to increase fuel milage or increase power and the x-wing is the same paperweight. I have seen lost of customers fall victim to that crap.

Post some proof that they actually work

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:27 PM

No need to be quite that contentious.

Dividing the intake air stream into multiple levels horizontally on the atmospheric side of the carb by placing thin "wings" in the mouth of the carb back to the slide does reduce turbulence directly in front of the slide at throttle openings from 1/8 to 1/2, and in some smaller, very highly tuned engines, such as the typical YZ250F, such a device can improve the crispness and throttle response at part throttle.

However, because the YZ450 is in a lower state of tune, it benefits from such things much less, and in most cases, will do no more than mask the real jetting issue leading to whatever complaint you may have. In any case, the appliance accomplishes nothing at all at full throttle, and cannot increase power.

• LEMMON1

Posted January 20, 2009 - 04:07 PM

so would my 250F actually benefit from usin this wing thing? or is it something like the boyeson quick shot that i have already installed?

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2009 - 06:18 PM

so would my 250F actually benefit from usin this wing thing?

Mine did, but as I say, only in terms of sharper carburetion at lower throttle openings.

• PAdaytonaman

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:37 PM

I would like to see a dyno test of that crap, those tornado fuel saver paperweights do nothing to increase fuel milage or increase power and the x-wing is the same paperweight. I have seen lost of customers fall victim to that crap.

TRY IT INSTEAD OF BEING SUCH AN ANGRY YOUNG MAN. I HAVE 2 FRIENDS WITH 08'S AND THEY ARE FRUGAL, TO SAY THE LEAST AND THEY BOTH HAVE THEM AND THEY SWEAR BY THEM. IM NOT ONE TO SAY SOMETHING WORKS OR DOESNT WORK, UNTIL I TRY IT.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 20, 2009 - 11:18 PM

These "Powernow" thingies are essentially the same as the Boyeson wing you are talking about.

Proof ...ok then, here you go....

For the record .... I don't own or run one of these, but this dyno printout has me wondering if I shouldn't buy one to try!
(They should give me a free one for posting this here!!)

Posted Image

..... and yes, I too would like to see the printout for full throttle opening performance, but it wasn't on their website for some reason!

Greg

• Dicko187

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:01 AM

I've used a powernow on my 250F, it made a slight difference up to half throttle for crispness, as grey said, but i also tried one in my 450...didn't make a difference in my opinion.

• Drav

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:03 AM

8hp gain? lol ok

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2009 - 07:07 AM

..... and yes, I too would like to see the printout for full throttle opening performance, but it wasn't on their website for some reason!

Gee, I can't guess why. :thumbsup:

I did see a charted run that showed a loss of 0.8 at peak on a CRF450. If the peak is near the same, has it occurred to anyone that the part throttle gains can be matched without the device by opening the throttle farther? Just a thought.

At least in a 450, you should be able to accomplish as much with correct jetting.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:53 PM

has it occurred to anyone that the part throttle gains can be matched without the device by opening the throttle farther?

Yes, good point Gray!

I wonder how these levels of throttle opening were monitored?
Were they precisely at 1/4 and 1/2 throttle?
If the slide was 1mm higher than it should be then this could increase flow by as much as 2 or 3%.

Greg

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2009 - 01:50 PM

I wonder how these levels of throttle opening were monitored?
Were they precisely at 1/4 and 1/2 throttle?
If the slide was 1mm higher than it should be then this could increase flow by as much as 2 or 3%.

They would have to have been stopped mechanically to be accurate. Even marking the throttle would be subject to a significant error.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.