Liquid under my 450??

5 replies to this topic
  • earl69

Posted January 18, 2009 - 07:35 PM

Yesterday I rode and when I put the bike on the trailer I noticed liquid under the bike. The bike had sat for about 20 minutes prior to loading and the track wasn't muddy or anything. Today I went out and noticed a clear oily substance on the very bottom of the rear spring.

Any thoughts?? What are the symptoms of a blown head gasket? Or is it just normal overflow from the radiator.

What does a blown rear spring look like?

I know little to nothing about bike maintenance so any infor would be great.

earl

• rickallen124

Posted January 18, 2009 - 08:41 PM

Look at the bottom of your shock body and see if it's covered in oil. If so than you have a blown shock seal. Sometimes the breather tube will have a mixture of oil and water(condensation from the cold weather) drip out of it which is normal to find under the bike after it's been ridden hard. It will be a milky/oily color. A clear oily liquid would make me suspect shock fluid and a blown shock seal.

• PAdaytonaman

Posted January 19, 2009 - 06:02 AM

you should also check where your overflow tubes are routed from the carb and the head. If you overfilled the motor with oil it will purge a bit after/ during a ride.

You could always clean everything off after next ride and blow some talcum powder on the shock to see where the leak is coming from.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • earl69

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Thanks guys.

earl

• finthat

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:40 PM

Look at the bottom of your shock body and see if it's covered in oil. If so than you have a blown shock seal. Sometimes the breather tube will have a mixture of oil and water(condensation from the cold weather) drip out of it which is normal to find under the bike after it's been ridden hard. It will be a milky/oily color. A clear oily liquid would make me suspect shock fluid and a blown shock seal.

Can these shocks be rebuilt?

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:30 PM

Can these shocks be rebuilt?

Yes, they can.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.