Dual Sport Kit WR450F 2003

9 replies to this topic
  • cloute

Posted July 21, 2002 - 09:31 PM

I know I'm a bit early but I'm looking for a dual sport kit to put on a WR450F. If you can help me could you let me know please! :)

• XRider

Posted July 21, 2002 - 07:25 PM

I could be wrong but, I think since the bike is already DC power with a battery, you would not have to spend a big chunk of dough on it. Just install a brake switch, signals, flasher and dual fil tail light?

If someone has experiance and knows different, please add your comments.

• DR.Zaius

Posted July 21, 2002 - 07:35 PM

I did my bike (all DC as well) and it is somewhat a PITA, but well worth the money I SAVED!!!
370 bucks for a BajaDesigns kit, no way.

A 2x filament headlight (hi/lo) may be needed,

turn sigs with a 3 prong flasher from auto zone,

A whole new taillight would be easier, like an Acerbis or UFO, cause the stock bulb socket can only support a single filament bulb. Unless you use a resistor in line with brake switches...

liscinse plate holder, LIGHTED is what I needed...my tail light has a built in plate light.

DOT tires...

and a horn!!!

The best way to add switches for all the crap is get a streetbike one off of ebay, mine is sweet. Even has a built in flasher relay, but I dropped it and it broke!

Actually, you could get everything on ebay, maybe even tires if you're lucky.

All in all, I spent a few bucks over 150 doing it myself, soup to nails, including D606 tires!!!

Plan it all out first, you've got plenty of time. :D

I've got pics of my works in the DRZ forum, check out my page too (up at top of page) for some pics.

PS, don't make fun of the turn sigs, I know they're big, but they were free ok!!! :D

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: DR.Zaius ]

• XRider

Posted July 22, 2002 - 04:47 AM

Thanks for the great info. I am going to research the whole thing. I am going to buy all of the parts before I get the bike. The dealer is going to plate the bike for me. All I need to get started in the state that I am buying it is a brake light, mirror and horn. I can add signals later if I want them.

Nice pics on your site.

If you want to keep being able to type, wear a helmet.

• hsstar

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:07 AM

I may be wrong but here goes. Australian wr's come with all the street stuff. When the bikes are released there the parts should fit on the US model. I saw a link in the past of Malyasian models with all the street garb. I can only assume a US dealer may be able to order with the part #'s.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRider

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:49 AM

That would be the only way to go, OEM!

• AZWR426

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:59 AM

OEM...Better find as someone's takeoffs or you might consider a second mortgage from DiTech.

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: AZWR426 ]

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: AZWR426 ]

• XRider

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:06 AM

You are most likely correct about that.

I think OEM stands for Only Expensive Equipment.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:19 AM

Originally posted by DR.Zaius:
...A whole new taillight would be easier, like an Acerbis or UFO, cause the stock bulb socket can only support a single filament bulb. Unless you use a resistor in line with brake switches...

Actually, the WR's tail light comes pre-wired for a brake light, so the stock tail light should work just fine.

Anyone know a web site that lists part numbers for non-US Yamahas? I'd like to look at the OEM electrical switch parts for the Australian or European models.

• XRider

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:40 AM

If that is true, all you would have to for a brake light is install the switch and plug it in.

I am also interested in getting the part numbers.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.