From WR450 to YZ450...?

11 replies to this topic
  • SpyridonMexas

Posted January 17, 2009 - 01:04 AM

Hi all, i have read all the similar threads about this but still can't decide so maybe you can help me out. I race Enduros and Hare scrambles and i also want to try MX.I'm 6.7, 246 pounds and i'm riding a WR450f 04 since 2004. I have done all the free mods and the bike is perfect, lot of power,very aggresive and fast. The only ''popular'' problem is weight. Every time i fall it's really difficult to lift the bike up. After all those years i decided to buy a new bike with aluminium frame of course. I can't decide which bike to buy, i badly want to buy a YZ450 because i know it's really light and cheaper than the WR but 1)Am i gonna be satisfied? 2)Will the YZ450 fit me? 3)Is it difficult to get used to it compared with the WR? 4)Can i ride the YZ in trails or i have to do some mods first?

• cmd

Posted January 17, 2009 - 05:06 AM

since you're on a wr and really like it you'll love the new alum fr wr.personally i've owned both and don't think the button is worth the weight.the yzf makes a great trail/harescramble....light,powerful,great susp,:thumbsup:the yzf will actually require less set-up than the wr for woods,slap a fww on it and your good to go.the only real downside is the wr has the better transmission,but for the east coast it's not a real big deal.

• 8upnmx

Posted January 17, 2009 - 07:27 AM

Buy the yz450f

• sacfelix

Posted January 17, 2009 - 02:49 PM

I converted my 06 yz450 in to woods bike and love it.

• smokin529

Posted January 17, 2009 - 06:02 PM

the only real downside is the wr has the better transmission,but for the east coast it's not a real big deal.

You can put WR gears in a YZ tranny. I am going to do the big swap in the next month or so....

• greengoose999

Posted January 17, 2009 - 08:00 PM

i seen on the yamaha site the other day that there is roughly 4kg's diff between the wr and the yz. but if you want a wr gearbox but a lighter bike buy the wr and remove all the electrics and the bonus is you have a electric starter unless your that worried about the weight. but the wr wont be as aggressive as a yz.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted January 17, 2009 - 10:22 PM

yz, power delivery is way funner than a wrs. as well as handling and weight.

• nickeenoo

Posted January 18, 2009 - 08:43 AM

I went through this same decision about a year ago. I had an 07 WR and swapped to an 07 YZ. IMO the WR isn't near as good as the YZ. The only disadvantage the YZ has is the lack of e-start. If you're a good rider and don't stall and can jet a bike properly this doesn't matter. Remember the e-start only means something when the bike isn't running once the ride starts it doesn't matter how the bike got started.

The YZ is better in terms of power, weight, and SUSPENSION. You could deo everything possible to the WR suspension in terms of re-valve, springs, trick coatings, whatever, and it would almost be as good as the stock YZ stuff. Also, as far as the gearing, the YZ can be "mostly" fixed with a sprocket change.

I made the switch and will never go back to the WR.

• DMC707

Posted January 20, 2009 - 08:23 PM

At your weight, you will likely need to re-spring either bike. i personally would buy the WR and remove all the fluff they have (lights, odometer drive) and revalve the susp to suit me.

------ but --- i am 5'8" and not 6'7", i can barely get my dang YZF re-started if and when i stall it and that E-start button sounds like heaven on earth. But you, at 6'7" , are not nearly as vertically challenged, so that is a non issue for you.

I am contemplating purchasing a WR (to complement my YZ, not replace it) strictly for trail riding and to dual sport tag it ---- but i am willing to replace cams, have the head worked over and change ignition modules to get the power into YZ territory. Again --- this is all because i am in love with that button -- since you are a foot taller than me, i imagine started a YZF for you would be akin to me kicking over a RM85 -- child's play

Good luck with whatever you decide --- reportedly the new AL frame WR's really close the gap on the ?YZ in terms of weight and handling compared to the steel framed ones like your current scoot

• SpyridonMexas

Posted January 21, 2009 - 03:49 PM

Thank you all for the replies, i decided to buy the 09 YZ450, so next week i'll post some photos. Thanks again.:banana:

• davcon

Posted January 22, 2009 - 06:45 AM

Thank you all for the replies, i decided to buy the 09 YZ450, so next week i'll post some photos. Thanks again.:banana:

I went from a WR250 to an 08 YZ450 and couldnt be happier. My concern was starting. The e-start was very nice. Make sure you read up on the starting routine. Grayracer has written on this and i used his routine and rarely have problems. Good luck!

• TapptOut

Posted January 24, 2009 - 09:34 PM

The real question is do you want the cheater button (7-11 pounds )or not?

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.