FMF Silencer - Pulling it apart?

11 replies to this topic
  • chriso83

Posted January 16, 2009 - 03:58 PM

Okay, so I thinking, "how hard could it be to open up my FMF Turbine Core silencer to see if it needs servicing?"

"Just remove a few screws, give it a couple of gentle taps with a rubber mallet and pull it apart, right?"

Wrong!

So it looks like I over estimated the little bugger :p or I am doing something wrong.

I checked out the FMF website and even downloaded their PDF for servicing their silencers with little results.

I will admit that I am hesitant hit this thing harder than a moderate tap. I'm trying to keep it all "purty and such" by not bunging it up.

What's the trick to pulling this thing apart?

The instructions looks sooo simple. :thumbsup:

ChrisO83

• FPMXer

Posted January 16, 2009 - 04:13 PM

The inner tube is connected to the end cap. Drill the rivet's or remove the bolts/screw at the bottom and it should seperate. They say to repack it every 25 hours. Once you repack it listen to the sound of the bike and you will learn when it get louder and needs to be repacked.

• chriso83

Posted January 16, 2009 - 04:50 PM

I have removed all the screws and have attempted to pull the pipe apart but it's not moving.

• hodgkins

Posted January 16, 2009 - 05:00 PM

they use high temp silicone to seal it when new. give it a good whack with a rubber mallet and it should start to come apart. use some high temp when you put it back together to keep the drool down.

• sluggokx

Posted January 16, 2009 - 06:51 PM

they use high temp silicone to seal it when new. give it a good whack with a rubber mallet and it should start to come apart. use some high temp when you put it back together to keep the drool down.

+1 ya they can be a bugger to get apart. Like hodgjins said give it a good whack with a rubber or plastic hammer and it will come. My fmf was also hard to get apart.

• 1000k6

Posted January 16, 2009 - 07:31 PM

I had a hard time with mine recently.

I sprayed lube around it a few times and some hard smacks with a rubber mallet

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chriso83

Posted January 16, 2009 - 08:42 PM

OK.
I see I have to be more aggressive before it will come apart.
Thanks for the encouragement.
CO

• mynewcr250

Posted January 16, 2009 - 08:47 PM

yea, you gotta be careful...i just destroyed my fmf shorty because it wouldnt come apart.

kept hammering it with a rubber mallet exactly as fmf say to do, and the welded hinge started to crack and that portion of the silencer bent into the packing material (dented pretty good just from the force of the hinge pushing it down)...then after wacking it more and more the freaking core broke. one end is on the end cap and the other end is on the lip where it connects to the pipe that connects to the expansion chamber.

needless to say, i dont think the last owner ever opened it up...or i just took it apart wrong, which i dont think is the case since we did the same thing to my buddies fmf shorty and it just fell apart with absolute ease.

• shrubitup

Posted January 17, 2009 - 12:38 AM

There's no need to drill rivets to open up a reasonably serviceable 2T FMF can - ever.

• zz3gmc

Posted January 17, 2009 - 12:57 AM

I use a little heat from a propane torch around the siliconed end. Dont go crazy with the torch. Mine come apart easily.

• chriso83

Posted January 17, 2009 - 03:47 PM

I use a little heat from a propane torch around the siliconed end. Dont go crazy with the torch. Mine come apart easily.

Okay, I will give it a little heat and along with some well placed taps with a rubber mallet and hope for the best.
Thanks for the advice everyone.
CO

• smokinscott

Posted January 23, 2009 - 09:53 AM

Spray some carb cleaner to degum the oil and carbon. That stuff is like glue

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

Help me locate an oil leak! kx250 by bbb222

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

1998Kx250 or 2002 Kx250. Which is the better bike? by Mudlauncher

• Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Precision Concepts 2003 KX 270 by smv ryder

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Easy question for KX250 gurus! by sandy450

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.