How to make "the step seat"?

8 replies to this topic
  • Lorre79

Posted January 16, 2009 - 03:41 AM

I've tried to make it, but the "foam" I used was to soft.
Do you guys buy just a stepped seat or whats the trick?

• matt4x4

Posted January 16, 2009 - 05:08 AM

Most home made step seats I've seen use those high density closed cell knee pads you can pick up for a couple of bucks at your local hardware/gardening center - they are about 1.5" thick and look like a cutting board.

Posted Image

Just use a serated edge knife to cut out what you need, remove the staples on the back half of your seat, slide it in - trim it to fit right, glue it onto your existing foam and restaple your seat cover using a pneumatic stapler.

• KJ790

Posted January 16, 2009 - 07:30 AM

I use a piece of barpad foam for hump seats. For a real step seat you can use a knee pad like matt4x4 suggested.

• DMC707

Posted January 16, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Open wallet, go to mail order shop of your choice --- order an SDG complete step -seat for your bike.

Done --- saves time and aggravation

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted January 16, 2009 - 12:40 PM

Open wallet, go to mail order shop of your choice --- order an SDG complete step -seat for your bike.
Done --- saves time and aggravation

Aren't those stepped seats always taller in the stepped section?

If so then good idea about simply buying one if you are satisfied with the height of the stock seat and just want the step up at the back.

Maybe he needs a lower seat height, as I do.

Greg

• mmcdan

Posted January 16, 2009 - 02:11 PM

Aren't those stepped seats always taller in the stepped section?

If so then good idea about simply buying one if you are satisfied with the height of the stock seat and just want the step up at the back.

Maybe he needs a lower seat height, as I do.

Greg

Yes and no; my SDG is approximately 1/2" taller than stock in the scooped out section (measured at the lowest point where the tank/air box meet) but slightly shorter (approximately 1/4") in the step section (measured at the intersection of the airbox and the side panel).

My SDG has worked great. I used it an entire year on my 2008 and swapped it to my 2009 and it still looks great. Highly recommended.

• Lorre79

Posted January 17, 2009 - 03:15 AM

I want the seat every where a little higher.
I'm gonna try it with an old hard-packed foam from a scooter.

But glue-it to the original foam or just put in under the seat cover?

• yz007f

Posted January 17, 2009 - 07:56 AM

Glue it and use a good contact cement. That seems to work well on foam. But if you go to high, you might not get the old cover back around where you can staple it. So you might need to get a new cover so it will be long enough.

• smokin529

Posted January 17, 2009 - 08:59 AM

Factory Effex makes a killer kit that comes with a piece of shapeable foam that has a 3M glue backing that you postition on top of your stock seat foam. The seat cover that comes with it is top knotch. Check out there web site.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.