Spark Plugs

5 replies to this topic
  • jt47

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

Hey guys I have a 2007 RMZ-250. I've got about 65 hours on the bike and 20 since a new top end was put in. I need a spark plug for it (the current plug came with the bike) and according to the ngk website as well as every dealer i've talked to the plug (ngk ir CR8EIA 10) doesn't exist. That doesn't make sense to me since I have the plug in my bike now. Anyone have this problem and know where to get a new plug? Also the bike seems to run rich in the cold or something. It smokes quite a bit during warm up but as soon as i get into a hard moto the problem goes away. Maybe my slow jet or fuel screw is off? I don't put gas in it that is more than a week old, anything less than 91 octane, and the bike only smokes in the cold.

• drumurr

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

Did you look up your bike on the NGK website?
It says RM250 uses a BR8EG or BR8EIX

• heykenny

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

09482-00597 original suz part number , if you have to order it

• lastchancebev

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:22 AM

Hi JT,

A lot of people complain about the lack of availability of this plug, but i've never had any trouble. I have spares, I got mine from the Suzuki dealers - but these guys have them too;

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...2|39:1|240:1318

• Josh 417

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

JT
I had the same problem not 3 weeks agao. It was the valve guides (exhaust in my case). However, in your case it could be the oil seals on the valves, the guides, the valves themselfs (maybe need to be lapped?), or the rings. Theres only so many spots oil can leak in, which causes white smoke when cold. If you take the head off and go get new guides, do yourself a favor and get some new rings and put them in while your into the engine that far, it's literally like 20 more minutes worth of work.
From what you described, I wouldn't think its a jetting or mixing problem, probably early signs of wear. Before you do anything to the engine on my behalf, please buy a new spark plug for rich/lean testing. If your jettings right, I'd go for the valves (lap, oil seals, guides) and the rings.

Good luck.

• shurshot

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

you can use a CR8EIX too...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.