Winter overhaul O´mine

6 replies to this topic
  • Kasjok

Posted January 15, 2009 - 02:14 PM

It winter over hear and a good time to go through the whole bike. So far I have cleaned and repacked with greased all the linkage, swingarm and steering head bearings. Today I started the piston and cam chain replacement. Bike is 08 with 75h on it. First of all, I was kinda surprised to find that one exhaust valve was on a tight side (15 fit, 20 did not) and the right intake valve was too large (25 fit, 30 did not !!!!!!). I shimmed them away and put aside.

Now, I took of the cylinder and it had been worn more then I had expected. Piston seemed to be OK. Here are some pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As you can see, the front and rear of the cylinder has some vertical lines. So I took out my hone and did my first time deglazing:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The out come was not as good as I had expected (again), because I moved the drill too slowly and didn`t get the right angle, but decided to leave it ( I did 4 passes up and down).

Before putting it back together, I also changed the cam chain and replaced the sparkplug with NGK IX one.The cam chain had stretched about 2mm I think and had couple of links that were a bit stiff.

I installed the piston using tungstendisulfide (quickseat) on cylinder walls, rings and piston skirt. Piston is CP 13:1.

Now I need to get a torque wrench to get top end bolts and cam cap bolts tightened. After that, fingers crossed.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2009 - 02:21 PM

Was that a fixed stone hone, or a "bottle brush" (spring ball) type?

• Kasjok

Posted January 16, 2009 - 12:07 AM

Bottle brush type hone with diameter of 4 1/8", grit 240, aluminium-oxide.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted January 16, 2009 - 02:44 AM

good luck man. post some more pics.
im doing the same to my 450

• Kasjok

Posted January 18, 2009 - 10:03 AM

I got my bike finished up today. Too bad it is snowing outside and I couldnt give it a real spin around. Now I only need to get my hands on some tacos. Also, I was doubting the blue graphics on white plastics, but I needed a change and I think it looks OK.
To my own surprise I have more goodies then I ever thought I would end up with: ASV F3 pro levers, MRD exhuast with low-mid design, JD jetting kit installed, 13:1 CP piston and as I said tacos should top it all off real good.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

PS.
The bike was shooting a flame every now and then when I gave it throttle. It about 40F in my garage and I tried to turn FS to 2 1/2 but it didn´t seemed to help, the pilot jet is 48 so I doubt I needed a bigger jet. I was thinking if it could be related to the red JD needle I installed (5th clip), because insturctions say to use a blue one on temperatures under 50F. I installed the red one because by the time I start riding it is about that. Or could it be because of slightly bigger compression rate, though I am using higher octane fuel, 98 here in Europe.

• TIG88

Posted January 18, 2009 - 12:38 PM

Blue on white looks good!

• husqy360

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:24 AM

real killer!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.