Stock tripmeter?

7 replies to this topic
  • Jcorwin

Posted January 15, 2009 - 07:25 AM

My 03 450's GEAR UNIT ASSY on the front wheel is bad. I'd like to reconnect up the tripmeter but in order to get that new part it's $78.00. Should I just go for an aftermarket for slightly more that has other functions as well (Speed / RPM etc.). How do the after market units install - hopefully they don't use that same part?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 15, 2009 - 08:10 AM

My 03 450's GEAR UNIT ASSY on the front wheel is bad. I'd like to reconnect up the tripmeter but in order to get that new part it's $78.00. Should I just go for an aftermarket for slightly more that has other functions as well (Speed / RPM etc.). How do the after market units install - hopefully they don't use that same part?

i have a stock OD off my 08 wr that will work just fine on your bike as far as the drive goes...you might have to play with the wiring a little to power it but all in all it will work just fine. pm me if interested:thumbsup:

• Dube2

Posted January 15, 2009 - 01:05 PM

I did the 07 conversion on my 05. works like a charm. just install the sending unit on the hub and connect three wires. one constant hot, one switched hot and one negative. The fourth wire on the electronic odo is the infamous nuetral wire trigger. Not sure it it even works? All the wireing you need is just above your headlight and connected to the stock on/off button. Took me about 20 minuted to install mine. Asuming you have the mounting bracked already figured out.

• William1

Posted January 15, 2009 - 02:27 PM

Many like the Trail Tech Vapor use a magnetic sensor instead of the drive unit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • minty0_10

Posted January 15, 2009 - 02:47 PM

im interested in this to how do you fit the sender to the hub?

• William1

Posted January 15, 2009 - 05:09 PM

It has a small bolt with an integral magnet, it replaces one of the brake rotor bolts. A pickup is mounted to the the brake caliper mount. The trail tech web site has directions, that go over the process, so you can see what is involved before you plunk down the cash. BTW, TT store sells the units at a good price.

• Korby

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:40 PM

I have a '07 WR450F with the electronic spedo and odometer with the mech sender and cable. If you guys are switching to the trail tech computers are you replacing the mech sender with a standard axle/hub spacer? Has anyone replaced their front wheel with a YZF front wheel and needed to eliminate the spedo, replace the axle and use a different spacer? Is this recommended?

thanks

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted January 16, 2009 - 06:29 AM

The 03 has a totally mechanical spedo, there are NO wires on the speedo drive. The problem that you have is the part of the speedo drive is a press fit. Remove the wheel and the drive, take the drive apart and you will see the flat plate has come loose from the drive gear. it will most likely be warped looking. Tap it back flat again and press it back over the driven gear. Use a socket just big enough to slip over the shaft. Make it snug and it should work again for a long time at no cost other than a little time.:thumbsup:
Jim

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.