Sand in Water Pump?

6 replies to this topic
  • Shibumi

Posted January 15, 2009 - 12:50 AM

Hi there,
I have been reading all the posts for a while and just got my bike services. It is a Yamaha WR450f, 2005, and 481 miles.

It was sitting for a couple of years after my move to Vegas, and I only rode it one time up at Apex. During that ride, the rear tire got buried in the sand, and I had to push it out. The idle was running high the whole ride, and it was a short adventure.

Finally I took it into Sam, at Sam's Cycle Supply. Highly reputable, and great guys there. They fixed the clogged jets, and reported a broken water pump seal. The coolant system had a bunch of sand inside!:moon:

I am now confused, and he wanted to know what I was doing with this thing!
One trip to the dunes, and I managed to befuddle a professional mechanic. No answers, and no idea how this happened. :thumbsup:

After this I am very leery of going anywhere near sand, so any advise would help. This just cost me $535.00, so I am not interested in repeating this.

Great forum, and I appreciate any replies,:p

• dl19

Posted January 16, 2009 - 07:13 PM

Only one way possible...well in reality there are others. Had to come in through your radiator. Or I guess it could have been sucked in the head through your intake, then pounded out through the head gasket. The gasket would have to re-seal, and auto rebuild your motor as it would have been smoked. That being said who the f knows. That sounds way out there.

• brad the best

Posted January 17, 2009 - 01:24 PM

personally i have taken hand fulls of sand out of water jackets on automotive engines .it probably just didn't get cleaned out of the block properly from the original casting .

sure it wasn't silica from high silica coolant that you shouldn't be running ,especially in a Yamaha .

i would just flush the cooling system and call it a day .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • texas_hippie

Posted January 23, 2009 - 06:48 PM

More than likely that some d!ckhead sabotaged your bike by putting sand in through the radiator cap while you were otherwise occupied. Next question is, "who's pissed off at you"?

• Shibumi

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:14 PM

I thought the same thing, and unfortunately there is only one person I let ride it, and he works for me.:banana:
Sucks to think, but this validates why I trust few people in this world.:lol:
If I thought it, the mechanic is puzzled, and you thought it, then I am probably right...

• brad the best

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:17 AM

More than likely that some d!ckhead sabotaged your bike by putting sand in through the radiator cap while you were otherwise occupied. Next question is, "who's pissed off at you"?

i thought it but didn't want to say it , who would seriously do that . and you would think they would do it in like the gas tank not rad cap .

• texas_hippie

Posted January 24, 2009 - 06:05 AM

Sand would be too easy to find in the gas tank. It has to go through a filter to get to the carb, and there you would find it easily. The thought of putting it in the radiator though, was just plain diabolical. Loosing your water pump seal miles out in the dessert....well, imagine all the negative endings to [that] story!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.