Breather Leaking Oil

13 replies to this topic
  • Jack30

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:05 PM

I have a 2001 Wr 426 and it has some modifications but no motorwork as far as I know. And what i assume is the crankcase breather that comes down the front of the fame leaks oil like crazy. I went through about half a quart in three rides. I have no idea what to do the bike runs great as far as im concerned so i dont know where to start any help??

• kskyles

Posted January 15, 2009 - 10:27 AM

have you checked your oil level? are you overfilling it?

it shouldn't leak that much if you have the right amount in there, and you keep it upright.

• Jack30

Posted January 15, 2009 - 11:20 AM

im pretty sure i checked right after it weas runnning so the oil could drain back down and it was bone dry

• kskyles

Posted January 15, 2009 - 12:03 PM

wow. that's very unusual. i don't know why it would be forcing the oil out through that hose.

i'm hoping someone will chime in soon.

• phynx

Posted January 22, 2009 - 11:29 PM

wow. that's very unusual. i don't know why it would be forcing the oil out through that hose.

i'm hoping someone will chime in soon.

I would have to agree. Check it in the morning before you start it. You still will not always get an accurate reading. The amount of oil should only be a little over a quart.:banana:

• WR_Dave

Posted January 23, 2009 - 03:10 AM

I would do a compression test on the cylinder. If the rings are worn out there will be alot of internal crankcase pressure. Due to the engine pumping most of it's oil to the top end the increase in pressure simply forces it out the breather tube. Depending on how far your rides are 1/2 of the engines oil volume is quite a lot to push out. Does the bike smoke blue at all? WR Dave

• byggd

Posted January 23, 2009 - 04:57 AM

I would have to agree. Check it in the morning before you start it. You still will not always get an accurate reading. The amount of oil should only be a little over a quart.:banana:

The oil cannot be checked without running the bike first. You need to start it, let it run for a couple min, turn it off and let it sit for 20 or 30 sec THEN check it. The 450 may hold just over a quart but the 426 takes just under 1.5 qts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jack30

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:18 AM

No blue smoke, but i will compression test it thanks for your ideas.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:31 AM

Definitely crucial that the oil level is right. Beyond that, I have always routed my breather tube up by the steering head on my bikes and capped it with a small clamp on Uni filter. If the oil level is right and routing the line upwards, you should never see a drop of oil come out.

• byggd

Posted January 23, 2009 - 03:19 PM

Take the time to check the valve clearance too. Any blow-by be it from worn rings or out of adjustment valves can cause what you are seeing.

• kingquad450

Posted February 17, 2009 - 11:29 AM

What did you ever make out? I just bought a 426 lastnight and it is dripping oil out the breather as well. I know it is over full and I want to chage it anyways The oil that drips on the floor is milky in color but when I check it is not milky on the stick any ideas?

• terbeaux

Posted February 19, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Ring blow by or oil overfill. Do a compression check. If you've added an autodecomp cam you will have to disable that first.

• acarter92

Posted February 19, 2009 - 04:06 PM

What did you ever make out? I just bought a 426 lastnight and it is dripping oil out the breather as well. I know it is over full and I want to chage it anyways The oil that drips on the floor is milky in color but when I check it is not milky on the stick any ideas?

What your describing is normal, usually just a couple drips after every ride.

Austin

• kingquad450

Posted February 19, 2009 - 04:07 PM

I changed oil the other night and fill it to the right level and no more problems

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.