2007 yamaha wr450f to yz450f suspension

30 replies to this topic
  • TheBlackSheep

Posted January 25, 2009 - 07:17 AM

Man, I wish I would have chimed in here earlier before you sprung for the YZ forks.
I had this same problem with my 07. I am 210 lbs with gear on, and I ride 99% offroad. I was bottoming out everywhere.
I researched the crap out of what to do. At one point, I was ready to drop some major cash and re-valve, swap, etc.
I ended up taking my suspension to Jake Thompson. Last year, for $300 he put in new springs for the front and rear. It has made a world of difference. I ride pretty aggressive and I never even come close to bottoming out. It's still a smooth ride too. It is the best thing I've done to my bike.

........ bahhh :banana:

• ECKS-Man

Posted January 26, 2009 - 02:09 AM

Sorry man, I still think it would have been better to get the stock suspension sorted out! False economy it seems to me! (Just an opinion, that's all.)

If you're happy with it though, good stuff! :banana:

I'll be interested to hear how you go longer term and whether you stick with this setup or change anything.

• srfdwg2

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:08 PM

I have a full suspension set from a 2007 with really low hours,with all parts needed to mod you wr,including calipers and brake line ect.Shoot me an im if interrested.

• 25psi

Posted February 09, 2009 - 08:11 PM

Man, I wish I would have chimed in here earlier before you sprung for the YZ forks.
I had this same problem with my 07. I am 210 lbs with gear on, and I ride 99% offroad. I was bottoming out everywhere.
I researched the crap out of what to do. At one point, I was ready to drop some major cash and re-valve, swap, etc.
I ended up taking my suspension to Jake Thompson. Last year, for $300 he put in new springs for the front and rear. It has made a world of difference. I ride pretty aggressive and I never even come close to bottoming out. It's still a smooth ride too. It is the best thing I've done to my bike.

........ bahhh :)

You can make WR forks better, even acceptable, but they will never come close to a set of YZ forks. YZ forks are the best in the business.

Stock WR forks are junk.

Fact.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:19 AM

You can make WR forks better, even acceptable, but they will never come close to a set of YZ forks. YZ forks are the best in the business

i would be willing to be that my wr forks that have been setup (sprung/valved) are better then a stock set of yz forks...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeff_Steckline

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:35 AM

i would be willing to be that my wr forks that have been setup (sprung/valved) are better then a stock set of yz forks...

I'm a "A" desert racer and I ride a couple of the works races, I tried the revalve and springs on my stock forks. What you don't seem to understand is the technology is from 7 years ago compared to a new YZ fork. The YZ fork revalved and sprung for your weight and rider ability is the best choice if you race. If your a trail rider that rides once a month and weighs 170 pounds your proably riding the right tool. Jeff S

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:11 AM

I tried the revalve and springs on my stock forks. What you don't seem to understand is the technology is from 7 years ago compared to a new YZ fork. The YZ fork revalved and sprung for your weight and rider ability is the best choice if you race. If your a trail rider that rides once a month and weighs 170 pounds your proably riding the right tool. Jeff S

you didnt read my post....

i agree yz forks are better tech wise...

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:24 AM

you didnt read my post....

i agree yz forks are better tech wise...

Ok, my bad... I do have a riding buddy that races and weighs 165. He had Factory Connection revalve he's stock forks and is happy as well... I must of rolled your comments into the few others that thought they were bling etc. again, my bad. Jeff S

• tribalbc

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:34 AM

I think it all depends on what you use them for.
The stock WR fork can be tweaked to an awesome woods fork IMO. Super plush on rocks and roots and no bottoming issue and I weigh 190+ no gear.
But in a faster riding arena, desert and MX, the YZ fork makes sense.

• erickdj

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:41 AM

I think it all depends on what you use them for.
The stock WR fork can be tweaked to an awesome woods fork IMO. Super plush on rocks and roots and no bottoming issue and I weigh 190+ no gear.
But in a faster riding arena, desert and MX, the YZ fork makes sense.

you got it :lol: The WR forks can be "adequate" if modded/tweaked right, for light mellow woods use. But try to use them for fast paced aggressive riding and they won't be so "adequate" anymore. Now take a set of modded yz vs. a set of modded WR forks and the WR forks won't stand a chance.
So I guess the bottom line is that if the bike is to be used strictly for casual trail riding the WR forks can be made adequate for the job, but if the rider intends to get more aggressive in their riding then definitely go with yz forks. It's all about the purpose they are intended for.

• tribalbc

Posted February 10, 2009 - 03:22 PM

you got it :worthy: The WR forks can be "adequate" if modded/tweaked right, for light mellow woods use. But try to use them for fast paced aggressive riding and they won't be so "adequate" anymore. Now take a set of modded yz vs. a set of modded WR forks and the WR forks won't stand a chance.
So I guess the bottom line is that if the bike is to be used strictly for casual trail riding the WR forks can be made adequate for the job, but if the rider intends to get more aggressive in their riding then definitely go with yz forks. It's all about the purpose they are intended for.

Actually when I say good for woods riding I should clarify that for woods racing as well. I race Senior A and am a fast aggresive rider. I even ride the MX track every so often on the WR. For really big fast whoops and big jumps the suspension cold be better but I still don't have a problem with bottoming.

Stock she would clunk hard on big G-outs, jumps and whoops but I solved that with stiffer fork springs and a 100mm oil level, no revalving.

Open catridge forks have always worked good in a woods enviroment :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.