2007 yamaha wr450f to yz450f suspension

30 replies to this topic
  • erickdj

Posted January 14, 2009 - 11:24 AM

I've thinking about doing some changes to my 07 wr450f suspension. The first idea was to send out the forks to get resprung/revalved. The second idea was to do a 2007 yz450f fork swap, which is supposed to be a direct bolt-on. Which brings me to my next dilemma: should it re-spring the stock rear shock on the wr, or should I also do a rear shock swap? How bad is the rear shock on the wr compared to the yz rear shock?

• 25psi

Posted January 14, 2009 - 12:15 PM

I have YZ forks.....AWESOME upgrade, especially if you ride motocross. My rear shock is stock and it performs quite well. I do plan on a revalve when its time to change the oil though.

As for comparisons, unlike the forks which are completely different, the shock is pretty much the same (I think).

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 14, 2009 - 12:20 PM

I think they (r shock) are the same design, I don't know how the stock spring rates compare but I thought I heard the spring on the YZ is Ti vs. the steel one on the WR????? I may be talking out my :thumbsup:

• erickdj

Posted January 14, 2009 - 12:28 PM

ok, thanks for the input guys. So I should be ok by only swapping the forks and maybe changing the rear spring?

• ECKS-Man

Posted January 14, 2009 - 02:36 PM

Surely it would be easier and cheaper to get the stock suspension tuned for your weight and riding style? I mean a bit of bling is OK, but the stock suspension will be fine if you have the right springs, valves and settings for you. Shouldn't cost much, maybe a few hundred. You'll probably still need to do this even if you get YZ suspension. That's the way I'd recommend doing it anyway.

• erickdj

Posted January 14, 2009 - 02:47 PM

Surely it would be easier and cheaper to get the stock suspension tuned for your weight and riding style? I mean a bit of bling is OK, but the stock suspension will be fine if you have the right springs, valves and settings for you. Shouldn't cost much, maybe a few hundred. You'll probably still need to do this even if you get YZ suspension. That's the way I'd recommend doing it anyway.

Actually, I think it's the other way around as far as cost. The way that I'm thinking of doing this, it would only cost me $500US to get the YZ components, and it would cost me close to twice that amount for a decent respring/revalve front and rear. I'm not doing it for bling, at all. I have an 08 yz450 with stock suspension, and I feel that the stock springs/valves suit me just fine. My weight is pretty close to the target weight of the stock yz forks, so no need to have those re-worked. The problem comes from the stock wr forks not being up to the task. When I first got the WR after owning a ttr250 I thought the suspension was like a dream. But more than one year has gone by, I have gotten better and faster at riding, so the stock wr suspension is just not up to the task anymore. I'm no expert or "A" rider, but I like to do just more than putt around. I thought the yz forks were better/superior in more aspects than just springs/valves. Are they really the same beyond that? The one thing I'm kind of undecided about is the rear shock, don't know how different they really are or if I would just need a stiffer spring on it.

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 14, 2009 - 03:52 PM

YZ forks are the best option (if you can afford them $500 is a deal)... shame on Yamaha for continuing to put this crap on the WR :thumbsup:

• ECKS-Man

Posted January 14, 2009 - 03:59 PM

Actually, I think it's the other way around as far as cost. The way that I'm thinking of doing this, it would only cost me $500US to get the YZ components, and it would cost me close to twice that amount for a decent respring/revalve front and rear. I'm not doing it for bling, at all. I have an 08 yz450 with stock suspension, and I feel that the stock springs/valves suit me just fine. My weight is pretty close to the target weight of the stock yz forks, so no need to have those re-worked. The problem comes from the stock wr forks not being up to the task. When I first got the WR after owning a ttr250 I thought the suspension was like a dream. But more than one year has gone by, I have gotten better and faster at riding, so the stock wr suspension is just not up to the task anymore. I'm no expert or "A" rider, but I like to do just more than putt around. I thought the yz forks were better/superior in more aspects than just springs/valves. Are they really the same beyond that? The one thing I'm kind of undecided about is the rear shock, don't know how different they really are or if I would just need a stiffer spring on it.

Fair enough, around here we get suspension resprung, valved and tuned for about that kind of money. ($1000 Aus would usually be more than enough. My last bike cost $650 Aus). If the numbers are right you can't argue with them!

• erickdj

Posted January 14, 2009 - 04:27 PM

YZ forks are the best option (if you can afford them $500 is a deal)... shame on Yamaha for continuing to put this crap on the WR :p

hehehehe, :thumbsup: $500 would be for the forks AND the rear shock. :moon: The question still is if buying the shock makes sense vs. putting a spring on it.

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 14, 2009 - 06:25 PM

hehehehe, :thumbsup: $500 would be for the forks AND the rear shock. :p The question still is if buying the shock makes sense vs. putting a spring on it.

Race tech will sell you a spring for $100... you can check their spring rate calculator too and it will tell you what the stock spring rate is for each bike...

where was that deal? never mind... i don't wanna know

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted January 14, 2009 - 10:46 PM

Race tech will sell you a spring for $100... you can check their spring rate calculator too and it will tell you what the stock spring rate is for each bike...

where was that deal? never mind... i don't wanna know

I was told by someone that the rear shock has different valving as well as a different spring rate, so I just decided to go ahead with the whole thing. I ordered both the forks & the shock for $500 shipped to my door. The forks have already been revalved by ESP for a 180lb rider, so I just gotta shed 10 pounds and I'm good.:thumbsup: The whole thing should be delivered to me this friday, so we'll see what happens.

sjmc_don, you know where the deal was, just use your imagination a little. Starts with an e, ends with a y.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 15, 2009 - 08:21 AM

YZ forks are the best option (if you can afford them $500 is a deal)... shame on Yamaha for continuing to put this crap on the WR :thumbsup:

I agree that Yamaha has continued to drop the ball on this...however i can not complane about the stock forks...i took them to precision concepts (sponsor btw) and they resprung revalved the forks and rear shock and they work like a dream...unless you are a PRO level rider stock stuff works just fine

• erickdj

Posted January 15, 2009 - 10:17 AM

I agree that Yamaha has continued to drop the ball on this...however i can not complane about the stock forks...i took them to precision concepts (sponsor btw) and they resprung revalved the forks and rear shock and they work like a dream...unless you are a PRO level rider stock stuff works just fine

Well, I'm definitely no PRO rider:banghead: , but in my case it was easier/cheaper to upgrade to yz suspension than to modify the stock stuff. I'm supposed to receive the suspension either tomorrow or next tuesday, so we'll see how it goes. Actually, it will be a pretty sweet deal once I sell the stock forks/shock, I'll get some of the money back that I spent on the yz components, so it will almost be like getting a suspension upgrade for little or no cost.:thumbsup:

• WGP

Posted January 15, 2009 - 01:39 PM

Rear shock are different in that the YZ has 12.3 inches of travel vs. WR 12.0.

I'll buy another WR as soon as they match the suspension.....otherwise I'm loving the YZ.:thumbsup:

• mavis0826

Posted January 15, 2009 - 02:12 PM

I put yz forks on my 07 wr and it made a huge difference. I rode the bike for about a month and then shipped the front and rear to Enzo racing and had them valve and spring it for my weight and riding style. I told them I weigh 185 and ride 80% off road and 20% moto. When I got the bill it was hard to take until I rode my bike. BEST money spent! Beware of newer yz forks, the brake caliper is different, it cost me an extra 100 bucks to get it fixed.

• Korby

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:48 PM

our you guys able to keep your spedo on the WR with the YZF forks? The YZF hubs are different from the WR so I thought that would make a difference. I am guessing that the axles and spacers/spedo make it work????? I am looking at a set of YZF wheels as a second set for paddle/sand tires. thanks

• erickdj

Posted January 15, 2009 - 10:48 PM

our you guys able to keep your spedo on the WR with the YZF forks? The YZF hubs are different from the WR so I thought that would make a difference. I am guessing that the axles and spacers/spedo make it work????? I am looking at a set of YZF wheels as a second set for paddle/sand tires. thanks

If I remember correctly, the yz forks will work fine with the stock wr rotor/speedo. But using a yz hub would require removing the speedo. Somebody correct me if that's wrong. The rear hub/rim is a direct bolt-on, that I know for sure. Besides, you only use a paddle on the rear tire.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 16, 2009 - 07:38 AM

using a yz hub would require removing the speedo.

this part is correct...when i put excel hubs on i had to pull the whole speed o :thumbsup:

• mavis0826

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:05 AM

Once again say away from the 08 and newer forks. The brake caliper and the axle are different. This bit me. The brake was easy, it just cost me money. But the front axle took some work. I had a friend of mine machine me a new one. He did'nt charge me, but it took about an hour. The other option is to replace the front wheel and spacers to a yz. I have the stock hub and Flatlands speedo spacer.

• Korby

Posted January 24, 2009 - 07:56 PM

I didn't find anyone that made a spedo spacer, but never heard of the flatlands until now. A friend of mine just machined one on the lathe and it all works great. The YZF axle is a different length than the WR so just getting rid of the spedo does not work. You have to use the YZ hub and machine a 12mm spacer between the YZ spacer and the right fork leg. The left side spacer worked just fine as is and the rear wheel is the same as stated before. I have the new wheels updated in my garage and I am happy even though i lost a stock spedo and even more important the odometer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.