WR450, YZ450 or YZ250??

33 replies to this topic
  • Fabulous

Posted January 14, 2009 - 08:26 AM

Hey there fellow TT'ers, I have a conundrum that I'm hoping you can all help me with. I'm hoping to buy a new bike in the next few months, and am having a hell of a time deciding. I do know for sure it will be a Yamaha, but can't decide between 3 of them. I'll give you a bit of flavor for my experience, and riding style- I'm 31, 5'-9" and 170 lbs (without gear) and have been riding dirt bikes/ street bike off and on since I was 9. About 3 years ago I got back into dirt biking, and bought a 2005 DR-Z400, but quickly found it too heavy, and very undersuspended, although I found the power okay after a full pipe/ rejet. I sold the DR-Z and bought a pristine 01 YZ125 which I like a lot as it is light, and jumps well, but I just feel like at my weight/ skill level I'm just rat bagging it almost everywhere I go. I would say I'm a fairly aggressive trail rider (tight trails, logging roads, hill climbs, and lots of jumps...) I'm not afraid of doing my own work on a bike, but have never worked on 4-stroke...two strokes no problem, and that's why I'm considering another 2 stroke. Where I ride requires a bike to have a spark arrestor, and a head light, but I don't have a head light, and the park rangers never give me a hard time. Can you guys weigh in on the pros/ cons of each bike please, and no "that bike sucks, get a #### bike instead". I appreciate any opinions/ help.

Thanks.

• Wiz636

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:18 AM

Because of your comments on the DRZ and since you say that you are fairly aggressive I would eliminate the WR.

You seem to like the 2 stroke 125 and since at some point they might start enforcing a light I would suggest the YZ250 as the 450's are very difficult, i.e., expensive, to light up.

• rdefonce

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:40 AM

+1 for YZ240 smoker.
For trail riding, there are many mods to make them woods-weapons.l Some fast GNCC cross-country guys ride modded 250 mx'rs because they're light AND powerful.;-)

• rdefonce

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:41 AM

Whoops I mean't 250 smoker!

• Fabulous

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:42 AM

I'm not too worried about the headlight, as the rule is it has to be visible at 50ft away. The spark arrestor is what they really look for, as well as plate/ registration/ insurance, and that your not a knob (riding uncontrolably, drinking, etc...) I also ride a lot in my hometown in B.C. and the only rule there is you must wear a helmet. The reason I'm thinking 4 stroke is that I really liked the torque of my DR-Z...just not the weight/ suspension.

• Kasjok

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:45 AM

Maybe an sx/exc 300 or bored out YZ250? 300cc smokers have pretty good torque.

• rdefonce

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:51 AM

I'm not too worried about the headlight, as the rule is it has to be visible at 50ft away. The spark arrestor is what they really look for, as well as plate/ registration/ insurance, and that your not a knob (riding uncontrolably, drinking, etc...) I also ride a lot in my hometown in B.C. and the only rule there is you must wear a helmet. The reason I'm thinking 4 stroke is that I really liked the torque of my DR-Z...just not the weight/ suspension.

Then definitely go with the YZ450 for max torque and power! I have a smoker (200 KTM) but also need a track bike so I just bought a used '08 450 and I can tell you it's got the Power!:thumbsup:

• Fabulous

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:54 AM

If I got a 08/09 450 new, and was super meticulous with maintanence (which I am...it's a running joke with my friends that I maintain more then ride) and trail rode it, what am I looking at for valve/ top end life?

• rdefonce

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:59 AM

If I got a 08/09 450 new, and was super meticulous with maintanence (which I am...it's a running joke with my friends that I maintain more then ride) and trail rode it, what am I looking at for valve/ top end life?

The YZ's are very durable . . . I'd say you should get 5 years out of all that stuff. I just sold my YZ400F that I bought new in '99, and did ONE valve adjustment, that's all. It was rock-solid, ran very strong when I sold it a couple months ago.
(I'll admit though that I didn't have a lot of time on it for a '99 . . . maybe 4 years worth or so)

• Fabulous

Posted January 14, 2009 - 10:22 AM

I like the sounds of that! I talk to the dealers, and they are like "it's a race bike, and you'll have to do a complete overhaul at least once a year" I know they just want to get me to buy shit, so that's why I come here. Coming from a 125, do you think the 450 would be a handfull for me? I've ridden a tonne of 250 2-strokes, so I'm not a puss or anything...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted January 14, 2009 - 12:35 PM

the 450 have controllable power.
somtimes they feel like a tank compare to a 250.

suggest you to try 1 before.
its a love or hate thing.

• rdefonce

Posted January 14, 2009 - 01:35 PM

I like the sounds of that! I talk to the dealers, and they are like "it's a race bike, and you'll have to do a complete overhaul at least once a year" I know they just want to get me to buy shit, so that's why I come here. Coming from a 125, do you think the 450 would be a handfull for me? I've ridden a tonne of 250 2-strokes, so I'm not a puss or anything...

Fabulous, you will probably LOVE the torque of the mighty 450, especially with all those mountains in your area!

We often go to the San Juan mtns of SW Colorado, and my tourquey YZ400F made a great "mountain climber." Can't wait to ride my 450F there!

Maybe your dealer is talking about an expert-level MX'r who rides the crap out of his bike . . . ANYTHING would be worn out quickly from that.

• 1BLUEsky

Posted January 14, 2009 - 01:48 PM

The newer WR is a great bike with a fork spring change and will meet your needs and requirements.I think the YZ 450 might be too much, but i guess the mags say they're mellower now.Personally I love my 05 YZ 250,FMF gnarly pipe,V force reeds, and a 9 oz flywheel allow me to rip around or putt around with much less weight even with a big 3 gal tank.A YZ 2smoke will probably need the least mods for aggressive woods riding.

• Fabulous

Posted January 14, 2009 - 02:25 PM

I'm just concerned that the WR is way too heavy, and will not be adequate for jumps I want to do without serious suspension work. I want something I can slap a skid plate, and hand guards...maybe go a couple teeth up on the rear sprocket, and just ride. That's what I did to my YZ125, and it works fine other then being underpowered.

• Fabulous

Posted January 14, 2009 - 02:27 PM

the 450 have controllable power.
somtimes they feel like a tank compare to a 250.

suggest you to try 1 before.
its a love or hate thing.

I would love to try one, but don't know anyone who has one, and the dealers would laugh if I asked to try one out. Everyone around these parts rides CRF's.

• Fabulous

Posted January 14, 2009 - 03:24 PM

...also, how hard is it really to rebuild these 4 strokes? I find that I can take my whole YZ apart, and it's like a toy...no problem. I know there are more parts in the 4 stroke, and takes longer, but really, is it that much harder to understand/ do with a manual?

• trailsweep

Posted January 14, 2009 - 04:38 PM

...also, how hard is it really to rebuild these 4 strokes? I find that I can take my whole YZ apart, and it's like a toy...no problem. I know there are more parts in the 4 stroke, and takes longer, but really, is it that much harder to understand/ do with a manual?

I have had both , the 450 and the yz250. The 450 IMO is much more versatial machine. You can take the thing to a track or you can throw hand gaurds on it and take it to the trails. The 450 to me seems much easier to ride than the 2-stroke because of the power curve of the bikes. The four stroke seems to just like to be left in gear and ridden where as the 2-stroke seems to want you to be on top of your game when you ride it.Maintence wise just change the oil and the filter and check valves every once in a while and thats it. Rebiulding wise if you can take the 2-stroke apart you can rebuild a 4-stroke , just a little more parts. Look over the manual that comes with it and you should be golden.Yamahas are known for there durability and the bike seems easy to ride . Hope this helps. Good luck:thumbsup:

• 1998YZ400F

Posted January 14, 2009 - 04:45 PM

no, four strokes aren't hard to work on once you understand them. manuals help a lot for sure. though some of the work done on them will be more in depth than a 2-stroke, it will be done far less often. its all in routine maintenance. valve clearance checks, frequent oil changes etc... these yamis will run forever when taken care of.

• husqy360

Posted January 14, 2009 - 05:50 PM

just got my piston, first 4t rebuilt hope it goes well, seems very stright forward, same with valves, i payed 200 for checking first time, now i can do them for free.

when snow melts you can try mine, im in edmonton.

• B_DRZ

Posted January 14, 2009 - 07:47 PM

I have had a drz-400e in the past and it was way to heavy, I upgraded to my 07 yz450f and its insane compared to the dr-z. For the terrain we are riding out here you have to regear or ride crazy, Im regearing my bike this year to a 52 rear spocket and have added all the armor needed for the rocks. I assume you ride Mclean etc and the riding out here needs at least a 51 ot 52 tooth on a yz( unless your racing) if you like the control and tank ability that the dr-z had you have to regear. Trust me you will like the 450!! Oh pro moto billet makes a end cap for for the yz and it has a spark arrestor, easy install, I have one on my bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.