leaky petcock

11 replies to this topic
  • yamazuki10

Posted January 14, 2009 - 05:48 AM

I have a 2000 400, and the petcock has leaked since i have owned it in the ON postion only, so I just rode it in RES. Well now it leaks in reserve too. So, is there anyway to fix this, or do I need a whole new petcock?If so, anybody got a second hand one?

In an unrelated matter my throttle stays WFO, and won't snap back closed, the grip is not rubbing on the handguard, and I see no mud/dirt packed into the throttle tube. Any ideas, besides, lubing the cable?

• WR_Dave

Posted January 14, 2009 - 06:09 AM

New petcocks are only around $25.00 and I suggest you take your cables off of the carb for a good inspection, I'm guessing at the very least a frayed return cable or maybe even a broken one. WR Dave

• kskyles

Posted January 14, 2009 - 08:15 AM

I would also take apart your throttle and give a good cleaning and lubing. new cables are cheap, so i'd take off the old ones and give them a good inspection.

good luck.:thumbsup:

• KennyMc

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:43 AM

I have a 2000 400, and the petcock has leaked since i have owned it in the ON postion only, so I just rode it in RES. Well now it leaks in reserve too. So, is there anyway to fix this, or do I need a whole new petcock?If so, anybody got a second hand one?

In an unrelated matter my throttle stays WFO, and won't snap back closed, the grip is not rubbing on the handguard, and I see no mud/dirt packed into the throttle tube. Any ideas, besides, lubing the cable?

There is a rubber gasket on the petcock. You may just need to get a new one of those. Check the parts fiche

• glasseye

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:46 AM

Don't know about yours, but the petcocks I have taken apart had an oring inside that wears out. Take it apart and see if you can find the correct o-ring at the local hardware store.

• Charles De Mar

Posted January 14, 2009 - 10:55 AM

this topic always makes me giggle a bit:excuseme: My buddy has a DRZ and says "my petcock has a leak" I told him to get his prostate checked:lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamazuki10

Posted January 14, 2009 - 11:17 AM

Thanks guys, I'll be checking all this out this weekend

• creeky

Posted January 14, 2009 - 12:24 PM

The petcock on my 400 started leaking a couple of years ago, it was the O-ring inside the valve.

• ophir

Posted January 14, 2009 - 06:36 PM

It is a 2.00 fix. Take you petcock apart and replace the rubber o ring. Simple and easy. I done two of them a couple of weeks ago.

• yamazuki10

Posted January 15, 2009 - 07:36 AM

It is a 2.00 fix. Take you petcock apart and replace the rubber o ring. Simple and easy. I done two of them a couple of weeks ago.

Sweet, I hope that's all it is

• rush_forth

Posted February 25, 2009 - 02:30 PM

i too have a leaky petcock on my yz125, and i too think it's pretty funny to say that, hehe

i just searched the boards here for 'leaky petcock' and low and behold there is an entire thread dedicated to leaky petcocks. thanks for the info guys, i (or my hubby to be more precise) will check out the o-ring asap.

• matt4x4

Posted February 26, 2009 - 05:46 AM

Petcock as stated above - oring.
Throttle - wash/lube cables first - use fogging oil or wd40 and wash them - the way I do it is hang them in a U so they retain the oil inside and move the ends back and forth then drop one side to drain and flush through some more - repeat - also inspect for fraying at visible ends - replace if necessary.
Another reason for throttle tube sticking (yours sounds like it may fall under this category) - the plastic tube will deform over time and start to angle differently then the solid handle running inside it as well, it can become oval and start to rub because of the differences in space created inside.
Best fix - Aluminum Throttle tube.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.