Cracked Case 1998 YZ400

3 replies to this topic
  • adam77

Posted January 13, 2009 - 11:10 AM

Just cracked the case on my 1998 YZ400 last friday. The semi-circular crack is above the top portion of the shaft seal. I came out of a turn and heard a slight crunch and looked down to see oil pouring out of the gearbox. The engine was running fine when I shut the bike off so I'm not certain if damage was done to the motor. I did find a piece of shredded metal laying in the skidplate which looks like it came from the opening. The shaft is now loose, but it feels like all of the gears are still there when I move the shift pedal. Does anyone have experience with this type of break? I realize that the bike is fairly old but would like to salvage as much money out of it as I can. I heard that the case can be welded if you know what you are doing, but that still leaves the transmission to deal with. Any suggestions? Fix or part it out?

• tnl

Posted January 13, 2009 - 11:28 AM

Have any pictures of how bad it is?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam77

Posted January 13, 2009 - 12:37 PM

yeah, i'll try to get them uploaded this evening.

• tcmII

Posted January 13, 2009 - 05:27 PM

There is a RH and LH case on ebay from an '01 426. Maybe someone here can tell you if they are interchangeable.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.