Aftermarket 07 WR Seats?

14 replies to this topic
  • timoyz1

Posted January 13, 2009 - 07:58 AM

Last trip out my seat brackets broke and I was then sitting on my battery. Mickey Moused it for the rest of the trip, but now that I am back, the only option I have come across is a stock replacement. I like the sound of a SDG tall seat, but they don't list one for the 07 WR. I tend to lean towards longer rides with a lot of seat time, so more padding would be a good thing. Anyone replace their stocker with something else? I probably could take the cover off and reweld the bracket, but really wanted to upgrade to something plush. Any responses and experiences would be appreciated.

• mightymart

Posted January 13, 2009 - 08:48 AM

I have cut down seat that I hate, I have tried all options for months (Your side of the pond & mine) but no one does a bolt on aftermaket seat for the WR. I would be even happy with the stock seat & was hopeing to swap it with someone with little legs ! but had no luck. plus postage cost from the States etc get expensive.
I think the only way to go is get new foam, seat cover & repair the bracket or buy a secondhand standard seat.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:10 AM

I have cut down seat that I hate, I have tried all options for months (Your side of the pond & mine) but no one does a bolt on aftermaket seat for the WR. I would be even happy with the stock seat & was hopeing to swap it with someone with little legs ! but had no luck. plus postage cost from the States etc get expensive.
I think the only way to go is get new foam, seat cover & repair the bracket or buy a secondhand standard seat.

guts racing sells a replacement foam and cover...its like 100 bucks but well worth for those long sections of road during a dual sport ride!:thumbsup:

• Watige420

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:16 AM

The SDG fits and works great, BUT you have to get the YZ seat and that means a tank change. So if you like the idea of a narrower seat, a new tank and a ready made solution there you go.

• SXP

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:31 AM

Guts seat foam and cover repalcements are the only seat mod options I'm aware of for the 07+. That, however, doesn't address the broken bracket. Sound like you are going to have to weld it back together.

How did the bracket break?

• SXP

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:45 AM

The SDG fits and works great, BUT you have to get the YZ seat and that means a tank change. So if you like the idea of a narrower seat, a new tank and a ready made solution there you go.

Not on the 07+. Whole different seat pan. The YZ pan will not fit the WR subframe, never mind the WR tank.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted January 13, 2009 - 10:00 AM

To make the 07wr450-like a xr.I took a xr250-400 seat cut off each side about 2in,glued it to wr seat(8in in back like xr seat..recover.Now you can ride for many days.Problem why I did not like any of the aftermarket seats,None of them they make are wide,like xr seats.You could also use the xr seat to make it taller.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • timoyz1

Posted January 13, 2009 - 10:24 AM

Guts seat foam and cover repalcements are the only seat mod options I'm aware of for the 07+. That, however, doesn't address the broken bracket. Sound like you are going to have to weld it back together.

How did the bracket break?

Good question. I guess 300 pounds of rider bouncing, and sittting on it, finally took its toll. Both sides broke right at the 90 degree downward bend. I noticed the first side after a long ride, and figured one side would hold for the rest of the trip. Well, about 100 miles later, over a long, nasty, whooped out road, the seat fell right off.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 13, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Last trip out my seat brackets broke and I was then sitting on my battery. Mickey Moused it for the rest of the trip, but now that I am back, the only option I have come across is a stock replacement. I like the sound of a SDG tall seat, but they don't list one for the 07 WR. I tend to lean towards longer rides with a lot of seat time, so more padding would be a good thing. Anyone replace their stocker with something else? I probably could take the cover off and reweld the bracket, but really wanted to upgrade to something plush. Any responses and experiences would be appreciated.

I was strongly considering swapping out my seat, but then decided that this bike forces me to stand up so much that I don't even care to sit much anymore, but I can see how it would be nice for a long ride. What I would do is call BRP. They have shown an SDG seat on their website for '07 and up for a while. I have not checked with them and think it might be an error as I don't see the same seat listed on the SDG site. Anyway, it might be worth a shot. :thumbsup: www.brpmoto.com

• timoyz1

Posted January 13, 2009 - 04:22 PM

I was strongly considering swapping out my seat, but then decided that this bike forces me to stand up so much that I don't even care to sit much anymore, but I can see how it would be nice for a long ride. What I would do is call BRP. They have shown an SDG seat on their website for '07 and up for a while. I have not checked with them and think it might be an error as I don't see the same seat listed on the SDG site. Anyway, it might be worth a shot. :p www.brpmoto.com

Excellent find. That is what I wanted, but couldn't find it. Since I was already ordering, I got a set of radiator guards too:thumbsup: . What the hell, it's only money.:thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 14, 2009 - 01:01 PM

Excellent find. That is what I wanted, but couldn't find it. Since I was already ordering, I got a set of radiator guards too:thumbsup: . What the hell, it's only money.:thumbsup:

So they do actually have it for the '07+ ? That would be good news, but I'd still be confused as to why SDG does not show it on their site.

• SXP

Posted January 14, 2009 - 01:41 PM

Did you notice the part number for the 07/08 is TBD (To be Determined) and that the item was added to BRP's website in Dec 2007? That's a long time to go without updating the part number if indeed a seat for the 07/08 exists. I'm thinking it may have been a planned application on SDG's part that never materialized. That would also explain why the seat doesn't show up on SDG's own website.

• timoyz1

Posted January 14, 2009 - 02:20 PM

I just ordered online and didn't talk to anyone. I just called BRP and the rep said they do NOT make a seat for the 07. I asked about the order I placed yesterday, that the money was already deducted from my Pay Pal Account, and they said I will receive an e-mail, notifing my that it is unavailable, and my account will be credited.:thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 14, 2009 - 02:58 PM

I just ordered online and didn't talk to anyone. I just called BRP and the rep said they do NOT make a seat for the 07. I asked about the order I placed yesterday, that the money was already deducted from my Pay Pal Account, and they said I will receive an e-mail, notifing my that it is unavailable, and my account will be credited.:thumbsup:

Ahh bummer! Sounds like Guts and reinforced brackets are the only answer then. I hear people rave about the Guts soft seat, but I don't care for it. To me it feels like the thing is swallowing you up. If it was a 100% sit down ride (unlikely), then I could see it's value. I will say the stock, softer seat on the 650R gives me monkey butt more than the stock hard seat on the WR.

• timoyz1

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:15 AM

Well, got an e-mail from BRP, and it says they are processing my order:bonk: . Still nothing saying it's unavailable or they have refunded my money. I guess this is a good lesson for me not to order anything online without talking to someone first.:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.