Piston change in a 08 YZ450?

1 reply to this topic
  • yz_ripper

Posted January 13, 2009 - 06:45 AM

Hi guys, this was the first year racing the 4 banger and i think i'd say i got about 70-100 hours. On my 2 stroke i'd replace the piston every so couple of races but i dont know if its worth changing this piston? It runs strong still, i dont feel i've lost power, but usually a piston change especially after a race season is considered. What are your suggestions, i also havent thought of what piston to change with if i was to change it. Maybe a JE Piston? Always ran Wiesco in the 2 stroke and it was flawless, but heard lots of people complain about them. Also, what are the steps or rather what should i look out for when changing the piston in the 450?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kasjok

Posted January 13, 2009 - 06:58 AM

Better replace it to be on a safe side, also replace the cam chain. I am using CP 13:1 piston, but what I have read JE is also an excellent choice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.