Bending subframes

7 replies to this topic
  • RM142

Posted January 12, 2009 - 04:36 PM

07 Y450.... I think I have replaced 3 of them in a year and a half. It seems every time that big muffler slaps down at all , it tends to tweak that right lower legs and pisses me off. :thumbsup: Anybody else having this kind of luck or am I just special.:p

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 12, 2009 - 07:55 PM

07 Y450.... I think I have replaced 3 of them in a year and a half. It seems every time that big muffler slaps down at all , it tends to tweak that right lower legs and pisses me off. :thumbsup: Anybody else having this kind of luck or am I just special.:p

I did tweak mine in a big get off. Other than that, never had a problem. I do have a slightly bent subframe. Dont know what to do with it.

• Tumblin

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:20 PM

THREE SUB FRAMES??

You're sure it's the muffler?
There's got to be more junk in the trunk than the weight of that muffler tweaking your ride.

• fatrussian

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:23 PM

huh, no offense but it sounds like yamahas have weak sub frames cuz when my friends on yamahas crash moderatly hard they bend sub frames:moon:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Johnny_On_The_Spot

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:26 PM

yeah i bent the one on my 125 a few times. Took a 4' pry bar and straightened it out though. Took all 170 pounds of my weight to straighten it too!

• Family Man

Posted January 12, 2009 - 09:36 PM

My local shop bent mine back pretty close to straight and didnt charge me anything. I bent it back closer with a 2x4 by taking all the plastic off and laying the bike on its side with the board placed on top of the wheel and the subframe. It still rubs alittle.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 13, 2009 - 05:51 AM

you are special I think....
I have crashed hard several times including a few loop outs/end over ends
My subframe has been bent but I have been able to rebend it back to almost 100%
You must crash harder than most if they are unrebendable
What are you doing with the bent subframes - I bet they can be fixed easily with a prybar or the Parktools subframe rebender and sold on ebay for some $$relief

• YamaLink

Posted January 13, 2009 - 08:39 AM

I used to bend my 05 subframe like it was made of cheese wiz. But no such bad luck since, and I believe my crashing style/speed has improved to the point where I'm supposed to be replacing subframes more. :thumbsup:

Is your subframe installed properly, meaning, are the bolts torqued down evenly. One time I tighted down the muffler side more than the other side and it was juuuust enough to make contact repeatedly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.