Apply grease to your air filter?

33 replies to this topic
  • MX926

Posted January 14, 2009 - 04:43 AM

Agreed, I grew up always greasing the rim of the filter, then started using a PC Racing foam gasket instead. Now I don't us either on my 08 YZ450 and have no problems, I use NO-TOIL also.

• husqy360

Posted January 14, 2009 - 05:54 PM

grease it up every time.
i dont see way not have a little bit peace of mind.

most wash air box preety often tho.

• Road Warrior NYC

Posted July 17, 2009 - 04:18 PM

I know this thread is old as the hills but I have a suggestion that is kinda middle of the road. Use Liquid Wrench L6. It sprays on the lip like a liquid then sets up as grease. You don't have to touch it, its practically mess free, and you will still have the added protection of a greased lip. Just a thought... you may have already bought the gasket.

• saccityfire

Posted July 18, 2009 - 12:05 PM

I use the Maxima FFT and it is awesome at catching dust. I never grease the seat (If you use FFT you will know why). Cleanup can be a hassle unless you've got a system though. Here's mine.

1 covered 3 gal size bucket each of FFT (2qts), Kerosene (1/2 gal), Simple Green (1/2 gal)

1 pair of petroleum resistant gloves (hardware store)

In the kerosene bucket I have placed a mesh grate (paint department of hardware store) that sits 3-4 inches off the bottom (lets dirt fall to bottom and keeps kerosene clean for next wash)

Put gloves on! Remove filter and basket from bike. Separate filter and basket.
1) Wash filter in kerosene, squeeze extra back into bucket and seal bucket
2) Wash kerosene off in simple green again squeeze extra back and seal
3) Rinse Simple Green off with water and let filter dry
4) Soak filter in FFT and squeeze extra back into bucket and seal bucket
5) Allow to dry (FFT will always be sticky but I air it out for an hour)
6) Use Gray's method (plastic grocery bag) to keep bike and hands clean for install.

Kerosene lasts for ever. Simple green lasts for 10-12 washes. FFT goes a lot further by rinsing extra back into bucket. Wash gloves off after FFT step by repeating kerosene and Simple Green with gloves only.

Hope this helps. Thanks for #6 GR!

• fosheezyjordeezy

Posted July 18, 2009 - 12:12 PM

One last suggestion: lithium grease. I use a thin layer of lithium grease all around the base of my twin-air filter. It helps it seat much better and it doesn't attract dirt. Some people call it white grease. You can get a tube of it at any auto parts store for less than ten bucks. I ride primarily in the sand, and I've never had a problem with anything more than normal in the airbox, even with wide open airbox mods on my 450X.

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 18, 2009 - 01:13 PM

I do 4 filters at a time...
Filter cleaner, hose down, let dry overnight, filter oil, let dry overnight again before tossing into ziplocks...
No grease as I use the Loudmouth system...

• NortonMoto

Posted July 18, 2009 - 11:44 PM

I grease,Its better to grease than to not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2009 - 09:01 AM

I never grease the seat (If you use FFT you will know why).

Me either, as i said. With FFT, it's entirely unnecessary. The filters will literally stick on a wall by themselves once the oil "dries", and with the layer of FFT on the filter frame, nothing ever works its way through there.

My maintenance routine is very similar to that which saccityfire laid out, except I use mineral spirits instead of kerosene, and I don't bother with the Simple Green in step 3; I just hang them out and let them dry for a day.

After they dry, I oil them and let them hang another day to let the solvents thoroughly evaporate from the FFT and drip off any excess, then I bag the filters.

I own 6 filters for two bikes, so when the bike needs a new one, I just take the dirty one off, wash it and hang it, and stick a clean and oiled one on. I oil the washed one when I get around to it. Painless. And never any grease.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 20, 2009 - 04:33 AM

I do 4 filters at a time...
Filter cleaner, hose down, let dry overnight, filter oil, let dry overnight again before tossing into ziplocks...
No grease as I use the Loudmouth system...

to change a dead subject
Goose how do you like the loudmouth system?

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 26, 2009 - 03:05 PM

to change a dead subject
Goose how do you like the loudmouth system?

It did absolutely nothing for performance or sound, it's just convenient.
Very expensive convenience.

• XRYoda

Posted July 26, 2009 - 04:29 PM

Second, take the oiled element with the cage assembled into it, put the retaining screw in place, and put the whole thing into a plastic grocery bag, with the open end of the bag facing the air boot side of the filter. Wrap the bag around the filter well enough to keep it off everything, and everything off it, and slip it into place. Then, work the bag off and bolt it down.

Sounds like a good way to wash out the airbox, all you would have to do is tuck the plastic bag under the lip and tighten it down. Then soap it up and spray lightly.

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2009 - 05:58 PM

It did absolutely nothing for performance ...

But, Goose.... they had dyno tests and everything, and they said....

:worthy:

I really did "told you so". Sorry.

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 28, 2009 - 12:02 PM

But, Goose.... they had dyno tests and everything, and they said....

:thumbsup:

I really did "told you so". Sorry.

I know, I know...I really didn't fight ya on that one, I knew going into it that I'd be shocked if it actually did anything...
I was just in a rut, not riding, bike broke down, and plenty of overtime pay that disappeared real quick on a bunch of useless mods (not that I regret anything I did, I'm super stoked with everything I've done)...

But besides the easy changes, I do like the "washcap" that came with it, just stick it on and hose out the box...Nice...

But yeah, WAAAAY overpriced...

• Ga426owner

Posted July 28, 2009 - 01:44 PM

oh goose come on I got at least 2hp out of mine :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.