Slime?

5 replies to this topic
  • HaremScarem

Posted July 18, 2002 - 08:49 AM

Does anyone use Slime for preventive measures?
OR just keep it around for repairs...
What does this stuff do to the balance of the tire?

Scarem

• YAMAKAZE

Posted July 18, 2002 - 09:05 PM

Thats a pretty sore subject for me, but I'll respond....For ATV's it's a great product. For Bikes it's questionalbe at best....Both flats that I had last year were the result fo smacking a rock and blowing the tube. The slime Will Not seal up a a tube with a 1 inch gash....It will however make a hell of a mess to clean up before you can put a new tube in and close up the tire again.

I guess someone out there is gonna swear by it...but that's what it's all about.

IMHO...Keeping a spare tube or a tire patch kit handy is a better option. I even have a tiny pump that operates off nitrogen cylinders or hand pumps in 3 minutes in my pack.

Bonzai :)

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted July 18, 2002 - 09:20 PM

Its hard to say if it works to prevent flats. How would you know if you had a leak and the slime fixed it during a ride? Although I usually add some to a new tube/tire just in case, figuire it cant hurt.
However I got a nail in the tire, which went flat, pulled the nail, slimed the tire and pumped it up, same tire and tube are going 3 years later. with no leakage.

You can purchase mini tire inflators that use CO2 cartridges, and attach a small bottle of slime to your cross bar pad with zip tyes, then you know your covered most most occasions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • neWRiver

Posted July 18, 2002 - 09:43 PM

If you ride in a lot of cactus, you'll swear by it. :)

If you ever have to replace a ruptured tube or a tubeless ATV tire (with slime in it), you'll swear NEAR it (#$%!@). :D

Oh well, there's no free lunch.

I run heavy duty tubes and slime on my WR and also carry a spare tube and tools. I've not yet needed to change a pinched tube (knock on wood).

On the ATVs, I wouldn't run without the slime (and also carry some tire plugs for bigger holes). Those cactus needle holes are tough to find on a tire/tube. But, it's pretty easy to see the little bit of green that oozes out and plugs up the hole. :D

• lewichris

Posted July 18, 2002 - 09:43 PM

or buy the 1/2 inch thick moose tubes.

• Mitch_R

Posted July 18, 2002 - 09:56 PM

I run the Moose extra thick tube with slime, you can never be too safe. It's true that the slime won't help with pinch flats but they do help with puncture holes. It shouldn't affect your balance of your tires unless you are running over 70mph for extended periods of time (Desert) then it recommends that you get your tires rebalanced :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.