2007 YZ450F Exhaust Question

6 replies to this topic
  • lftdjeep426

Posted January 12, 2009 - 05:37 AM

I just picked up a cherry 07' with 6.5 hours on it with a title for $3700. This is great because I'm on a pretty tight budget and it took selling two bikes and buying one... stepping down off the soap box....

I need a spark arrestor to race the local hare scrambles. I could try and rig the stock exhause but I found a used White Brothers exhaust on Flea-bay. Its really beat up but they guy says it works. I'm sure I would have to re-pack it. Has anyone had any experience with this brand as I have none. Pros/Cons.....

Or any recommendations would be great.

Thanks Guys:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2009 - 07:30 AM

For $150 or so you can get a new spark arrestor end cap for your stock exhaust from either DRD or Pro Moto Billet.

WB is out of business, the exhaust is beat up, and most likely fairly loud.

• lftdjeep426

Posted January 12, 2009 - 12:56 PM

For $150 or so you can get a new spark arrestor end cap for your stock exhaust from either DRD or Pro Moto Billet.

WB is out of business, the exhaust is beat up, and most likely fairly loud.

I haven't read up on exhaust much for this bike but would it be worth it more to save and buy a decent slip on? I'm not a pro so I don't know that I would notice a 1/2 horsepower gain with an aftermarket muffler. Any thoughts?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2009 - 01:30 PM

...would it be worth it ...?

That depends on what you want, and what it means to you. Most of what you get from aftermarket pipes on a YZ450 is bling (the '08-'09 YZ450 is an exception). If all you want is the spark arrestor, your best buy is an end cap kit from the two places I mentioned.

You can buy the following features in an exhaust system in varying degrees and different combinations (some are mutually exclusive):

• Peak power (very little, usually)
  • More low end/mid range (sometimes quite a bit), and/or a wider, flatter power curve
  • Quieter exhaust
  • Spark Arrestor
  • Reduced weight
  • Weight moved lower
  • Greater durability
  • Other (like the DRD system, made to accommodate lower radiators)

The most power you can expect to gain from an exhaust system on your '07 would be about 1, 1.5. Some systems can bring in the low end a little better, and others can make you forest legal and quiet, and if you pick the right one, not cost you too much power in the process. #3 often precludes 1 or 2, and usually, you can't get 5 and 7 in the same system.

I use a DRD Stainless set up that provides me with 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8, and cost me something like $425. Was it worth it? It depends.

• B_DRZ

Posted January 12, 2009 - 03:24 PM

I put a pro moto billet one on my ride, easy install !!!

• lftdjeep426

Posted January 12, 2009 - 04:29 PM

Grayracer513 Thanks a million. I gave you some good ole' gas for that post. Very helpful.

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 12, 2009 - 06:00 PM

I second pmb. I have a extra pipe and it is way too loud. But with my pmb and stock muffler, along with pmb quiet core, I have passed 96db sound checks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.