450 body conversion

26 replies to this topic
  • 2001YZF426Rider

Posted February 06, 2009 - 07:17 PM

Ok i mounted up the subframe and airbox tonight. Everything went pretty well, ended up trimming the frame, as i figured i wouldnt convert back and my subframe is powdercoated.. Only thing is i cant get the exhaust tab to line up with the mount hole on the subframe.. The mount on the subframe is about a quarter inch too far back.. Do i need a 250 exhaust too? The subframe and airbox came off an 05 250f.

• Thrash1

Posted February 06, 2009 - 07:46 PM

You shouldn't all the locations should line up. I have a FMF exhause with a loose clamp hanger. You might move your exhaust back a little bit at the mid pipe and leave it just a little loose then see if it will line up. Once you get that mocked up they tighten the mid pipe clamp.

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted February 07, 2009 - 01:39 PM

I tried, but it seems my exhaust hits the shock reservior. I will give it another shot to see if i can get it to line up..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2001YZF426Rider

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:09 PM

Ok i got it to bolt up out back, but now the mount where it mounts down low to the subframe is way off, and actually rubbing on the subframe, so that cant be good.. My exhaust might of gotten bent when i wheelied over a couple summers ago on the tar in mid 5th.. So now that i have a straight subframe it shows up? Any ideas? Will a new exhaust system fix this? Is there an exhaust with a moveable mounting position on the "silencer"?

• moto2000

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:03 PM

Both bikes I did had a FMF silencer.....a Powercore 4 and a Q2. The back mount was a strap that wrapped the silencer body and could be moved forward or back.

like this.... http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:27 AM

I guess i will have to get one of those then.

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:11 PM

Ok so my buddy has an FMF with the adjustable strap mount that i am going to get, so now i just need a mid pipe and header.. Its hard to find these for a 426 now so will one from a 450 work? I would like to go with a powerbomb header or something like it if i could.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.